Re: [bbshop] Greed? I don't think so.

  • Tim McEvilly
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      I doubt that any barbershop quartet ever got rich from show fees and recording sales, so I don't buy the greed motive. My dear wife, who tolerates barbershop but doesn't love it like I do, would probably say that the biggest motive for being in a quartet is "fan worship". Having spent about 9 years in busy, contest-oriented quartets, I would say that ego is part of it to varying degrees with most of us, but there is also the motive of wanting to bring joy to an audience by sharing what we love and are blessed to be able to do.

      Tim McEvilly,
      VP, Illinois District Quartet Champions Association
      >>> "tulsa1938" <occash@...> 4/1/05 11:57 AM >>>

      bubman 63 insinuates that my Limerick in some way translates to MaxQ>>>

      A man named Cash once decreed
      That barbershop singing succeed
      Their parts they would carry
      And Cash would sing bari
      But now it's all contest and greed.

      This Limerick IS NOT directed at MaxQ or any other Society quartet. OC
      was a bari alright (the world's best, from what he said), but more so
      he was an administrator (flame suit on and zipped up tight).

      Although I admit that haven't yet had the pleasure of working closely
      with Jeff or Greg, their credentials are impeccable and speak for
      themselves.

      However, I CAN personally vouch for the fact that the word GREED does
      not compute with the name Tony DeRosa or with the name Gary Lewis.
      Tony is an incredible Barbershopper who gives all he has,all the time,
      like his dad before him.

      At a most difficult time, I personally observed Gary Lewis give of
      himself and his talents way above and beyond the call of duty and saw
      him turn a total disaster into a once-in-a-lifetime musical experience
      while we were on tour together in Ireland. The words character and
      amazing talent best decribe Gary Lewis.

      Can you imagine the greed that must be involved in creating a
      barbershop CD for children?

      Perhaps folks should step back long enough to think about WHY MaxQ is
      making a children's CD. Maybe then you will understand their
      motivation. Maybe then, you will understand them? It's my
      understanding that a portion of every CD that they sell will go to a
      children's charity.

      Bubman 63 says, he wouldn't wouldn't walk across the street to hear
      MaxQ... from what I have observed, most people would prefer to run
      (across the street to hear them).. Put me down for one of those new CDs!

      Leo

      Yahoo! Groups Links