Re: The Hobby Lobby

  • Aaron Grice
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
      Proof of a perception being a tall order for anyone, but I think it's
      safe to say the Society is much more likely to help a chapter progress
      musically than in any other capacity. The "Music Education and
      Services" department has the largest staff, and arguably the highest
      visibility. We can debate if this configuration best meets the needs
      of the Society, its chapters and members, but there's no doubt where
      HQ is putting its weight today.

      One sign of higher "focus on competition"among our chapters is the
      shortage of directors for chapter choruses across the Society. If
      success in contest were merely incidental to the job, instead of the
      central theme, I think we'd see more volunteers stepping in to lead.
      Twenty years ago, non-member (translation female) directors might have
      been discussed, but it would take another decade of "director drought"
      before resistance was overcome.

      Another sign is a trend over the past twenty-five years to create
      chapters (and choruses) around "musical excellence," the measure of
      which can only be taken on the contest stage. There are strivers in
      every hobby, and ours is one of the few where the strivers can all get
      together and form their own team, if they want to. Many of us admire
      the VM, the Masters, the New Tradition, and others for their effort
      and success in elevating the art of barbershop singing. That said, we
      can and should debate whether the Society should be structured around
      these groups, or on those less driven.

      One last thought, then back to my lurking hole: the quest for musical
      excellence, by itself, will not cost us members; it may not gain as
      many as some claim, but getting better never drives away an interested
      person. No, what drive many away is not the quest, but disparagement
      of the less-able, less-talented, or less-committed. That, to me, is
      the heart of our membership issue. I have been in chapters that
      struggle to make District, and I have been in International medalist
      chapters; in all cases, someone wanted to cut another out for not
      "getting it." Too many times, these men were eager and willing
      members, who found themselves deficient in some small way that made
      them "dead wood" in the eyes of someone important. Cut off from the
      chorus they love, most reject their "demotion" and leave the Society,
      often for good. To me, this is the wound that keeps bleeding, sapping
      our strength. Until we figure out how to deal with this, a successful
      marketing plan is just going to result in a lot of disappointed guests
      and rookie members.

      Aaron Grice
      Former VP-MS - ILL