Re: logo

  • comalite_j
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2005
      Thanks for the correction! SPPBSQSUS, huh? It's much appreciated.

      My point still remains, though, that the name has ALREADY changed
      from the original, long ago. Therefore, many who claim to want to hold
      on to the "original" name are really only wanting to hold on to the
      name that THEY remember.

      And it's not just the name. The Barbershop style ITSELF has evolved
      even from the Tin Pan Alley days until the time of O. C. Cash. And,
      from the time of O. C. Cash to the time that most of the KIBbers
      remember, as well. Even Dave Stevens and Burt Szabo pointed this out
      in the Barbershop Arranger's Manual (edited by them and Joe Liles, I
      believe). According to Page 380 therein, the VERY FIRST SONG *EVER*
      SUNG under the auspices of the Society, at the VERY FIRST MEETING with
      O. C. Cash, was "Down Mobile." The arrangement sung then was ten
      measures long, of which the first three were repeated twice, the
      fourth was a First Ending, and the last three formed a Tag for the
      Second Ending. Not very many unique measures (six in all), due to the
      repeat.

      And yet, in those six unique measures, there are no less than SEVEN
      chords that violate the "traditional" rules of Barbershop harmony
      (mostly unnecessary doubles [including of Fifths] and resulting
      incomplete chords [including Barbershop Sevenths with Omitted Fifths],
      but also including at least two outright "non-chords" [a Csus4add9 in
      measure 3 and a Bbsus4add9 in measure 4]!).

      On Page 383, it's pointed out that even "The Old Songs" -- yes, one
      of the two the Official Songs of the Society, that we sing at the
      start of every rehearsal -- has a problem: from the "me" in "... the
      good old songs for me," to the "love" in "I love to hear ..." is a III
      (D Major in this case) transitioning almost directly into a I (Bb),
      with only a single melody (Lead) note intervening at the word "I"
      singing the II note (C) by itself without a chord. It proposes an
      altered version of that transition, using a three-step swipe on the
      "me," and putting a full chord on the "I" word to provide a four-step
      Circle-of-Fifths resolution from the III (D) through VI7 (G7), and II9
      (C9) on the swipe, and finally to V7 (F7) on the "I," before resolving
      to the usual I (Bb) on "love to ...".

      In the first Barbershop Quartet contests, singing from written
      arrangements was disallowed, and one champion was nearly D.Q.ed
      because of it, as our beloved AHSOWers will gladly tell you. What they
      often fail to mention, however, as do the KIBbers among us (perhaps
      because they don't know), is that ACCOMPANIMENT WAS ALLOWED BACK THEN!
      **ACCOMPANIMENT!!** Can you imagine it!? Barbershop wasn't even
      necessarily A CAPELLA back then!! The very first known published sheet
      music song with the word "Barber Shop" in it referring to music
      instead of a place to get a hair cut, predating even Tin Pan Alley,
      was "Mr. Jefferson Lord, Play that Barber Shop Chord." It had piano
      accompaniment.

      Since it was even LESS possible to do true adaptive Just Intonation
      with accompaniment back then than it is today (at least today we have
      digital instruments that have at least the POTENTIAL of doing it, even
      if nobody has yet actually made one to the best of my knowledge that
      can do so automatically, detecting the chord being played and
      adjusting the microtuning accordingly), this means that the goal of
      Barbershop back then wasn't even producing ringing chords and expanded
      sound, which would be IMPOSSIBLE with even-tempered accompaniment!

      How many KIBbers wanna return to THOSE days? Oh, yeah, and to the
      ORIGINAL name and abbreviation (I'd LOVE to hear someone try to
      actually pronounce "SPPBSQSUS" as an acronym!), to boot? I wonder what
      the original logo looked like?

      > J Martin wrote:

      > I think you will find the original name ended in: " in the United
      States"