Re2: It's All About the $$$

  • Bradford E. Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
      >Message: 13
      > Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:30:47 -0500
      > From: "Bill Byrd" <billbyrd@...>
      >Subject: Re: It's All About the $$$

      >DJ:
      >Aha! This means you are opening our Convention/Contest to
      >NON-members -
      >which, unless I'm missing something anent the *Non-Profit*
      >status our
      >Society enjoys - is a tremendously big NO-NO!

      And Brad sez:

      As I understand it, the problem comes not from our non-profitness, but from the fact we would have to pay substantially higher ASCAP/BMI fees as public performers
      rather than just for an essentially closed "educational event". This has haunted us at the District and Regional level as well -- it's why we sell "registrations", not tickets, and all-events passes are preferred over single-session tickets.

      One risk is that, since fees must be paid in advance to the aforementioned, someone will switch songs and sing a reallyreallyreally expensive piece of music! :o) We still pay rights for the contest recordings sold by the Societies, but those are easier to calculate once the last sequin has hit the floor.

      When Cincinnati's public TV station produced the home video of
      "Keep America Singing", hosted by Mitch Miller, in 1994, we had to (gasp!) edit the sound track to eliminate a snippet of a TV show theme for which the rights would have cost as much as the whole rest of the program together. BTW, they told us that a VHS of a "niche entertaiment" program would only sell about 1500 copies. They're still on sale in catalogs, and we're well over 5,000 sold!

      Brad Scott
      Cincinnati Chapter, JAD BHS www.deltakings.org
      Engineer-in-charge, BOTH BHS/Mitch specials
      now retired and doing sound for fun

      "If somebody says 'It ain't the money", you know it's really the money."
    • Dick Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
        on 11/03/2004 7:49 AM, Bradford E. Scott at bscott@... wrote .....
        .....amon g other things:

        > "If somebody says 'It ain't the money", you know it's really the money."

        Amen.

        DJ in MT
      • Russell Bell
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
          ASCAP is based on the Net Ticket Sales and the size of the Hall.

          BMI is based on the Highest ticket price and the size of the venue
          Number of available seats).

          Now a mechanical license is something altogether different. That is
          based on each song. (That is where the sales of the International
          DVD's comes in. The mechanical license is paid for each recording sold.
        • Don Gooding
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2004
            At 07:51 PM 11/3/2004, Russell Bell wrote:

            >ASCAP is based on the Net Ticket Sales and the size of the Hall.
            >
            >BMI is based on the Highest ticket price and the size of the venue
            >Number of available seats).
            >
            >Now a mechanical license is something altogether different. That is
            >based on each song. (That is where the sales of the International
            >DVD's comes in. The mechanical license is paid for each recording sold.

            While I'm not a lawyer, I believe for video (including DVDs) it's called a
            synchronization fee. The big, big difference is that a mechanical license
            is set by federal statute, and most (but not all) fees are collected on
            behalf of publishers by The Harry Fox Agency, while synchronization fees
            must be negotiated directly with each publisher.

            Don Gooding
            Mainely A CAPPELLA http://www.a-cappella.com
            don@... P.O. Box 159/11 Seal Cove Rd.
            800-827-2936 Southwest Harbor, ME 04679
            207-244-7603 (overseas calls) 207-244-7613 (fax)
            Now with more than 10,000 sound files!
            1800+ CDs ... 1,000+ arrangements...
            plus hundreds of videos, accessories,
            and instructional products