Re: [bbshop] Pitchpipes and A-440

  • Shelley Herman
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
      If the orchestra is performing in a hall with a pipe organ, the tuning of
      the pipe organ determines where A is. (Or is that what Is is?)

      Shelley A. Herman
      Acoustronics Sound Co.
      saherman@...

      on 10/29/2004 5:50 AM, John Elving at leaderman@... wrote:

      > Ah, but here comes the rub. Depending on who is conducting, and where
      > the orchestra is located, that A can be anywhere from A-440 to A-446. As
      > a piano tuner, I have had to tune many times at any of those pitches.
      > And the amazing thing is that they can tell if it isn't at the pitch
      > they prescribe. Seiji Ozawa can tell you within a gnats hair whether it
      > is at A-442 (where he wants it) or not.
      >
      > Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,
      >
      > John Elving
    • Burt Szabo
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
        Shelley - -

        Ooops! Forgot about that. Yes, If you're going to do
        the Saint-Saens "Organ Symphony", the orchestra had
        best tune to the organ. I should have remembered that
        because here in Orlando we are fortunate to have a
        goodly number of fine orchestra musicians, and several
        fine church organs and organists who frequently perform
        together. What a great sound!
        Tempo-rarily,

        Burt Szabo
        burtszabo@...