Re: [bbshop] Digest Number 2607

  • Lloyd Thomas
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      >From: "Schleier, Tom @ ACSSD" <Tom.Schleier@...>
      >Subject: RE: Re: SAI time between quartets

      >Have the SAI convention planners ever thought of getting an EMCEE for the
      >contests instead of a presenter? It might make the time between
      >competitors go quicker for the audience, and keep the audience in a light
      >mood for the
      next competitor.

      Yep, Tom, we had emcees telling jokes for years before the powers that be
      decided to just give us a chance to talk between the contestants without
      feeling we were being rude by ignoring someone talking up on the stage.
      It's not a show; it's a contest. I think that the new halfsheet format
      gives us just the right amount of time to chat about the previous contestant
      and catch up with friends in the audience. I like having that time to
      mentally process what I just saw and heard before the next group comes on,
      personally. Granted, it was too long in the past, but now it seems just
      about right.

      >I was frankly bored with the long extreme nothingness between competitors.

      As someone else said, find somebody more interesting to sit with! The
      people I was around had plenty to say and the time went fast!

      Lloyd Thomas
      SAI
    • Tom Ennis
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        At 07:32 AM 11/1/2004, you wrote:
        >Bakersfield is another C&J VICTORY because after being encouraged to look
        >for problems, I couldn't find a single one.
        >
        >Jenny Gordon

        And who are you?

        --Tom
      • Alan Gordon
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Tom Ennis <tom@t...> wrote:
          > At 07:32 AM 11/1/2004, you wrote:
          > >Bakersfield is another C&J VICTORY because after being encouraged
          to look
          > >for problems, I couldn't find a single one.
          > >
          > >Jenny Gordon
          >
          > And who are you?

          She's an 18-year member of SAI, and has been barbershopping since she
          was 5 or 6. She has several regional gold medals in chorus, and an
          International Gold with Richtones in 1998.

          She's been coaching for a long time, and has most recently founded a
          brand new SAI chapter in Greenville, SC, that in a year is already
          bringing in more than 50 people at rehearsals.

          As an avid fan, she has crunched numbers and patterns of most
          scoresheets that have come her way.

          She is also a barbershop brat (both parents involved) and has a
          brother in it, too.

          And, I'm guessing on this one, but she's probably just little
          disturbed that there is such heavy negative discussion going on about
          scores and a contest where the numbers pan out when reviewed from
          many angles.

          Alan
          gotchabari@...
        • Lynn Trapp
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
            Hmmmmmmmmmmm... I wonder who that might be? <g>

            > And who are you?

            and has a brother in it, too.

          • Jennifer Gordon
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
              Tom asked-

              "And who are you?"

              I am one of the thousands of Harmonetters that has been asked to believe
              that Bakersfield was a C&J failure--and have endured it for far too long
              now. I am a person who has officially been a barbershopper for 18 years,
              although I was attending contests long before that. I am a person who has
              won an International gold medal. I am a person who has attended countless
              SPEBSQSA and SAI contests (Sorry HI, I'll get there someday). I am a coach.
              I am an arranger. I am an assistant director. I plan to be an SAI judge.
              I am a member of a regional medallist quartet. I am a person who has not
              done as well as I wanted on occasion in competition and didn't call it a
              failure on the part of the judges.

              I am also a person who is sick of seeing judges of any organization called
              "failures" when there is no evidence to support it other than what someone
              keeps telling me "seems" low or high.

              That's who.

              Jenny Gordon

              I apologize to all that are tired of hearing about this in general.
            • Shelley Herman
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                Are Jenny and Alan Gordon the first brother and sister to get gold medals?

                Shelley A. Herman
                Whittier CA chapter
                saherman@...
              • David Brooks
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                  > Are Jenny and Alan Gordon the first brother and sister to get gold medals?

                  Phyllis and Buzz Haeger?

                  Cheers,
                  David Brooks
                  dir. Wellington City Chorus, SAI #35

                  ---
                • J Martin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                    Chris and Tony (DeRosa) Kirkman One chorus, the other quartet!
                    In Harmony
                    Jack martin