Recording Software

  • fullvoicetenor
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi everyone-
      Our church recently purchased some new hymnals, and I would like
      to make some learning tapes for our members. Could you give me some
      suggestions as to some basic software - and by "basic" I
      mean "cheap" - that would help me record 4 tracks and then mix them
      together?
      Thanks
      Shane Scott
      Tenor, Brotherhood of Harmony
    • John B.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 10, 2005
        I'm looking for an easy way to make learning CD's for our chorus.
        Does anyone know of any (cheap) software that lets you record sound on
        your pc? The sound recorder that used to come with Windows seems to
        have vanished with the XP version. More importantly, I'm looking for
        software that will work as a mixing board, letting me combine the 4
        separate sound files into one.

        Thank you.
        Jonathan Brune
        Harbor City Chorus
        Baltimore, MD
      • Jim Adams
        Message 3 of 11 , May 10, 2005
          Ntrack studio is a $49 piece of software that lets you record individual tracks. You can play back one while recording another and then combine the result into an mp3 for recording onto a CD

          http://www.ntrack.com/

        • Clare McCreary
          Message 4 of 11 , May 10, 2005
            Jonathan writes: <<I'm looking for an easy way to make learning CD's for our chorus.
            Does anyone know of any (cheap) software that lets you record sound on
            your pc? The sound recorder that used to come with Windows seems to
            have vanished with the XP version. More importantly, I'm looking for
            software that will work as a mixing board, letting me combine the 4
            separate sound files into one.

            Thank you.
            Jonathan Brune
            Harbor City Chorus
            Baltimore, MD

            There is a product called Audio Cleaning Lab made by Magix that works quite well, and is not too difficult to use. Not as powerful as Cool Edit but is very good for cleaning up records, tapes etc and converting them to either mp3 files or .wav files for burning to a CD. I think it will handle several tracks, but I haven't tried that feature. I've forgotten the cost, but I think it is around $45 - 50. There are cheaper ones, but don't get carried away and buy an inferior product.

          • Clare McCreary
            Message 5 of 11 , May 10, 2005
              About Audio Cleaning Lab. I forgot to add that I got it through:
              www.focusmm.co.uk

            • plcmat
              Message 6 of 11 , May 10, 2005
                At our Music Team meeting last night we talked about Audacity:

                http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

                It's a free, open source, audio recording program. One of our section
                leaders has tried it, I don't have personal experience with it yet.

                Steve Nester
                Sounds of Concord, Concord, MA
                Concord eXpress quartet

                --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "John B." <jonathan.brune@m...> wrote:
                > I'm looking for an easy way to make learning CD's for our chorus.
                > Does anyone know of any (cheap) software that lets you record sound
                on
                > your pc? The sound recorder that used to come with Windows seems to
                > have vanished with the XP version. More importantly, I'm looking for
                > software that will work as a mixing board, letting me combine the 4
                > separate sound files into one.
                >
                > Thank you.
                > Jonathan Brune
                > Harbor City Chorus
                > Baltimore, MD
              • Bill Byrd
                Message 7 of 11 , May 10, 2005
                  The old sound recorder in Windows has not vanished, it's just gone
                  upscale, Try a search on your computer for "Microsoft plus multimedia
                  edition" after you pay 20 bucks to activate it, it seems to work ok,
                  Bill byrd
                • J. Gulliford
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 10, 2005
                    I use Musicmatch Jukebox 10 available for download on the web.
                    It allows you to record in MP3 from line in, CDs etc. and will also burn
                    CDs.
                    It majors on downloading from the web but does a good job of recording off
                    line as well.

                    JG.

                  • tenorbob@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 10, 2005
                      The director of our chorus has Audacity and likes it a lot. He thinks it
                      could help us tremendously in burning learning CDs for the chorus.

                      Bob Davenport
                      Chorus Manager, Music City Chorus
                      Nashville, TN

                      At our Music Team meeting last night we talked about Audacity:

                      http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

                      It's a free, open source, audio recording program. One of our section
                      leaders has tried it, I don't have personal experience with it yet.

                      Steve Nester
                      Sounds of Concord, Concord, MA
                      Concord eXpress quartet

                      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "John B." <jonathan.brune@m...> wrote:
                      > I'm looking for an easy way to make learning CD's for our chorus.
                      > Does anyone know of any (cheap) software that lets you record sound
                      on
                      > your pc? The sound recorder that used to come with Windows seems to
                      > have vanished with the XP version. More importantly, I'm looking for
                      > software that will work as a mixing board, letting me combine the 4
                      > separate sound files into one.
                      >
                      > Thank you.
                      > Jonathan Brune
                      > Harbor City Chorus
                      > Baltimore, MD

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Jim Puffe

                        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "John B." wrote:
                        > I'm looking for an easy way to make learning CD's for our chorus.
                        > Does anyone know of any (cheap) software that lets you record sound
                        on
                        > your pc? The sound recorder that used to come with Windows seems to
                        > have vanished with the XP version. More importantly, I'm looking for
                        > software that will work as a mixing board, letting me combine the 4
                        > separate sound files into one.
                        >
                        > Thank you.
                        > Jonathan Brune
                        > Harbor City Chorus
                        > Baltimore, MD

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • John & Julie Gates
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 10, 2005
                          Just my 2 cents, but I have been using cakewalk products (to make learning
                          tapes) for a looooooong time.
                          They are very stable, very intuitive and (generally) can export to many
                          formats. They have multitrack software packages in many different price
                          ranges. The name of the company is Twelve Tone Systems.
                          Visit their web-site, then buy from Amazon (It'll probably be cheaper!).

                          www.cakewalk.com