Re: [bbshop] SAI time between quartets

  • Marti Lovejoy
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
      Schleier, Tom @ ACSSD wrote:

      >One thing that bothered me about the SAI quartet contest is that they had
      >about 5 minutes between quartets. What are they doing in all that time?
      >
      >At FWD where I was MC, we had 2 minutes or less between quartets. I'd allow
      >1 minute for the audience to score and chat about the performance and then
      >walk out to the podium. In about 15 seconds the backstage light would come
      >on. I'd make an announcement and then the pit light would come on in less
      >than a minute.

      Perhaps the fellas don't enjoy visiting with each other as much as we do! Also, our judges are writing comments for the competitors - but let's not get into that argument again, shall we?

      Marti Lovejoy
      Proud "Owner" of SING: sponsor of two+ YSF Scholarships in 2003
      Score Collector for SING (and the site below)
      Life Member, Reg 10, TX, USA - 32 years so far
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SweetAdelinesScores/messages
      LovejoyMar @ att.net (remove spaces)
    • Schleier, Tom @ ACSSD
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
        One thing that bothered me about the SAI quartet contest is that they had
        about 5 minutes between quartets. What are they doing in all that time?

        At FWD where I was MC, we had 2 minutes or less between quartets. I'd allow
        1 minute for the audience to score and chat about the performance and then
        walk out to the podium. In about 15 seconds the backstage light would come
        on. I'd make an announcement and then the pit light would come on in less
        than a minute.

        Tom Schleier
        Bari - Spirit Of Phoenix Chorus
        Good barbershop is just like good coffee - Stimulating and impossible to
        sleep after!
        tom.schleier@...
        Phone (623) 445-6641 Pager: (602) 204-0119 Fax: (623) 445-7003

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE & DISCLAIMER. This message, together with
        attachments, is for the confidential and exclusive use of the addressee. If
        you receive it in error, please delete the message and its attachments from
        your system immediately and notify us by return e-mail. Do not disclose,
        copy, circulate or use any information contained in this e-mail. (1) The
        content of this e-mail is to be read subject to ACSS terms of business, as
        applicable. (2) E-mail may be intercepted or affected by viruses and ACSS
        accepts no responsibility for any interception or liability for any form of
        viruses introduced by this e-mail. (3) The sender shall remain solely
        accountable for any statements, representations or opinions that are clearly
        his or her own and not made in the course of employment.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
          Don't the judges have to write out the eval sheet since they don't get individual eval sessions?

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
            We don't get evals at internationals either.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
              My suspicion is that Jim is right. In SAI, the judges don't do face
              to face eval sessions (ever...not just at Int'l), therefore the
              feedback they give competitors has to be more clearly written on the
              scoresheet. In the BHS, while we do also write on the forms, most of
              us have developed our own kind of "shorthand" that we use as a guide
              during the eval sessions...whether those are formal eval sessions
              (Division, District & prelims) or "virtual" eval sessions (emailed to
              competitors who request them after Int'l). And since we judges
              usually don't give our scoresheets to the competitors, we're the only
              ones who have to understand our own "henscratch". :) In SAI, they
              have to be more thorough in how they fill out the scoresheet, since
              their sheets ARE given to the competitors....hence the longer times
              between groups.

              Just my 2 cents,
              Mark Holdeman
              Singing Judge
              Panel member at the 1998, 2001 & 2004 Int'l contests

              --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Schleier, Tom @ ACSSD"

            • Schleier, Tom @ ACSSD
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
                Thanks for clearing that up.

                Tom Schleier

                <Tom.Schleier@l...> wrote:
                > We don't get evals at internationals either.
                >
                > Tom

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Brian Gordon
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
                  On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 11:36:46AM -0700, Schleier, Tom @ ACSSD wrote:

                  > One thing that bothered me about the SAI quartet contest is that they had
                  > about 5 minutes between quartets. What are they doing in all that time?

                  The Judges are busy writing their evaluations, just as at Regional.

                  --
                  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                  | Brian Gordon -->briang@...<-- brian.gordon at cox dot net |
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
                    On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 11:45:17AM -0700, Schleier, Tom @ ACSSD wrote:

                    > We don't get evals at internationals either.
                    >
                    > Tom

                    SAI quartets and choruses never get face to face evaluations, only the
                    Judges' written comments.

                    --
                    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                    | Brian Gordon -->briang@...<-- brian.gordon at cox dot net |
                    + Bass: "Spirit of Phoenix" SPEBSQSA Chorus (and Gotcha! dad) +
                    -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
                  • Alan Gordon
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 29, 2004
                      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Marti Lovejoy <LovejoyMar@a...> wrote:
                      > Perhaps the fellas don't enjoy visiting with each other as much as
                      we do! Also, our judges are writing comments for the competitors -
                      but let's not get into that argument again, shall we?

                      Probably two "let's not go there's, " Marti... =)

                      For the first, I prefer singing along with my visiting. Since you
                      can't sing between competitors (rude and disruptive), the extra time
                      takes away from singing time I could be doing later that night... =(

                      To each their own, but as much as the practice is defended
                      publically, I am amazed at the percentage of an SAI audience (mostly
                      members) that are looking at their watch, yawning, vocally
                      complaining about the wait, etc., between competitors.

                      Alan
                      gotchabari@...
                    • Jennifer Gordon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 30, 2004
                        I like the wait between competitiors at SAI conventions because I can go
                        potty between any two competitors and not miss anyone!

                        Jenny "Tiny Bladder" Gordon
                      • Marti Lovejoy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 30, 2004
                          Jennifer Gordon wrote:

                          >I like the wait between competitiors at SAI conventions because I can go
                          >potty between any two competitors and not miss anyone!
                          >
                          >Jenny "Tiny Bladder" Gordon

                          Righty-o, Jenny.... tell your brother to sit with folks who are more
                          interesting next time so he won't get bored between contestants. ;-)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
                            Have the SAI convention planners ever thought of getting an EMCEE for the
                            contests instead of a presenter? It might make the time between competitors
                            go quicker for the audience, and keep the audience in a light mood for the
                            next competitor.

                            I was frankly bored with the long extreme nothingness between competitors.

                            Any thoughts?

                            Tom Schleier
                            EMCEE
                            Bari - Spirit Of Phoenix Chorus
                            Good barbershop is just like good coffee - Stimulating and impossible to
                            sleep after!
                            tom.schleier@...
                            Phone (623) 445-6641 Pager: (602) 204-0119 Fax: (623) 445-7003

                            CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE & DISCLAIMER. This message, together with
                            attachments, is for the confidential and exclusive use of the addressee. If
                            you receive it in error, please delete the message and its attachments from
                            your system immediately and notify us by return e-mail. Do not disclose,
                            copy, circulate or use any information contained in this e-mail. (1) The
                            content of this e-mail is to be read subject to ACSS terms of business, as
                            applicable. (2) E-mail may be intercepted or affected by viruses and ACSS
                            accepts no responsibility for any interception or liability for any form of
                            viruses introduced by this e-mail. (3) The sender shall remain solely
                            accountable for any statements, representations or opinions that are clearly
                            his or her own and not made in the course of employment.

                            >I like the wait between competitiors at SAI conventions because I can go
                            >potty between any two competitors and not miss anyone!
                            >
                            >Jenny "Tiny Bladder" Gordon

                            Righty-o, Jenny.... tell your brother to sit with folks who are more
                            interesting next time so he won't get bored between contestants. ;-)

                            --
                            Marti Lovejoy
                            Proud "Owner" of SING: sponsor of two+ YSF Scholarships in 2003
                            Score Collector for SING (and the site below)
                            Life Member, Reg 10, TX, USA - 32 years so far

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Wendy McCoole
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
                              Although I do enjoy a really talented Emcee who is good at telling jokes
                              and making us laugh, I also get very put off by those that "insist" we
                              stop talking to one another so we can hear them ramble on with church
                              bulletins and other such "jokes." I've even heard emcees "shush" people
                              during contest so they could read their next page of one liners ... I
                              found that to be quite offensive.

                              Personally, I would much rather have that time to talk with my
                              audience-mates about what we just saw or heard from a contestant.

                              I'm pretty sure Tom was talking to the webcast and for those folks, I
                              imagine it would get pretty dull in between, but that's my thought from
                              being in a live audience anyway.

                              Wendy McCoole