Re: [bbshop] Comedt

  • Marti Lovejoy
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2004
      Although they don't bill themselves as comedy, try the Dallas Knights - they have some screamingly funny stuff and also sing VERY well.

      --
      Marti Lovejoy
      Proud "Owner" of SING: sponsor of two+ YSF Scholarships in 2003
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2004
        In a message dated 9/2/2004 2:41:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        Kaybari@... writes:

        If we count quartets who are no more

        4 UNDER PAR
        'nough said

        Bob Crist
        Baritone - Full Effect
        2003 MAD Western Division Quartet Champions
        2003 MAD 5th Place District Quartet Finalist
        VP Music and Performance - Keystone Capital Chorus
        Harrisburg, PA

      • Ed
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2004
          McKenzie Touring Company from the Evergreen District. These guys are hilarious!

        • David Roberts
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2004
            And a more recently retired 4-tet ... Bojohnson Quartet ... er Trio
            who had some uproariously funny stuff. Remember the Howloween
            schtick?

            Dave Roberts
            Tulsa, OK

            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, GrifSing@A... wrote:
            > Southwestern District of Champions provided many fine comedy
            quartets a few
            > years ago:
            > Mavericks
            > Knights of Harmony
            > Free Loaders
            > to name a few. Too bad we do not have them around anymore.
            >
            > M. D. Griffith -- Houston Tides

          • Duane Lunday
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2004

              > The Midstates Four had to be the granddaddy of them
              all.

              Has anyone mentioned the OK Four with Jim Massey, et
              al?

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
            • Dick Johnson
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
                on 09/02/2004 3:33 PM, Bobatone@... at Bobatone@... wrote:

                > If we count quartets who are no more
                >
                > 4 UNDER PAR
                > 'nough said

                - - - - - - - - - -

                This is strictly Regional, but .....

                Back in the early to middle 1970s - in the EVG District -
                there was this quartet called "The Bunkhouse Bums" .......

                Also 'nuff said .....

                DJ in MT
              • Harry T. Haflett
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
                  There are these guys from JAD that I saw at international. I think they're idiots, but my wife thinks they're hilarious. They're called the Hot Air Buffoons. I don't get most of their humor(if you can call it that). It's all just a lot of fat jokes.

                  Harry Haflett
                  bari - HotAirBuffoons

                  - - - - - - - - - -

                  This is strictly Regional, but .....

                  Back in the early to middle 1970s - in the EVG District -
                  there was this quartet called "The Bunkhouse Bums" .......

                  Also 'nuff said .....

                  DJ in MT

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bob Landry
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
                    Has anybody mentioned "The Freeloaders" from 30 years
                    ago? They were out of San Antonio "Chordsmen" chapter.

                    Also I know some of you have seen "The Pride of the
                    Marsh" from our chapter (Acadiana). With lead George
                    Smith telling the Cajun jokes. They were very popular
                    in the '80s.

                    =====

                    Bob Landry, tagging since 1947

                    The guy with the "Little Black Book" of Tags

                    Lead, "M&M BBS Quartet", Jennings, LA

                    Bari, "Tag Team", Acadiana Chapter, Jennings, LA

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • Dick Johnson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3, 2004
                      I've been waiting - but nobody seems to have remembered
                      the Comedy Quartet that was formed over 60 years ago
                      and is still wowing audiences from Coast to Coast and, as
                      they say, border to border.

                      It was about 1942 - in Montevideo, Minne-snow-ta - that
                      the "Gay 90s" was formed for a Ladies Night presentation
                      of a local Chapter of a Businessmans' group.

                      The same routine that was born on that evening is still the
                      central core of the act - with several addiions, of course.
                      But the dead-pan spoof of the early approach to our
                      Style continues to keep eyes watering and tummies
                      aching from pure joy and laughter.

                      Motto?

                      Never WON a contest - never LOST an audience!

                      Dick Johnson
                      Great Falls, MT
                    • Ken Buckner
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 4, 2004
                        Has anyone mentioned the "Club House Four" from Louisville, KY who
                        sang during the early '60s thru mid 70's? The cornerstone of this
                        very popular quartet was Dr. Tim Stivers (foot doctor and airplane
                        driver)and his "Good Ole Boy" stories.

                        The CH4 were Cardinal District Champions and competed several times
                        at International. I think the last time was in 1965 in Boston.
                        Fondly remembered from this quartet is Joe Wise who passed away many
                        years ago at a very early age. What a beautiful voice he had. It can
                        still be heard on the Tbreds' release of "Salute to America" now on
                        CD (c. 1976 and remastered in 2003). All the others (how many guys
                        in your quartet?) are still around and kickin'. Pat Stivers, Shrader
                        Miller (somewhere in FL), Don Grammer, Harold Fow (still singing in
                        the Tnoroughbreds) and Larry Knott (of "Along Came Joe" and "Just In
                        Case You Change Your Mind" fame). Gads.. I hope I haven't forgotten
                        anyone.

                        Ken Buckner
                        CH4 Fan
                      • Walt Miller
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 6, 2004
                          This sort of self-deprecating humor by Harry speaks of how funny
                          the Hot Air Buffoons really are. They are a hands down winner of
                          the Buckeye Invitational Comedy Quartet contest. It is true,
                          that most comedy quartets are not noteworthy singers...but the
                          Buffoons were International qualifiers in 2004.

                          If you want a really funny quartet that can ring some
                          chords....hire the Buffoons.

                          Walt Miller
                          Co-chair Buckeye Invitational