Tuning the tenor part

  • Bunkley@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 12:35 AM
      A lot of this high-tech tuning discussion goes (not surprisingly) right over
      my head. However, I'd be interested to know of any 'rules of thumb' that
      might apply to tuning the tenor part.
      As often happens, tenors are in short supply, and in the interests of having
      a quartet to sing in, I 'jumped ship' from baritone to tenor. Wearing my
      baritone hat, I often found myself on the bottom side of tuning a chord, that is,
      I often had to tweak my note (particularly the 5ths) up a shade. (OK . . . I
      was singing flat). Things under the tenor hat sound a lot different, however.
      More often than not, I seem to hear my note as being sharp . . . and I often
      have trouble 'settling' down into the note. Any hints from the 'tuning gurus'
      ?
      Thanks in advance : -{ )

      Steve Hoeft
      Boise Valley Chordsmen
      tenor: FOGGY (Evergreen District Senior Quartet Champs)