Marketing Barbershop

  • Bunkley@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2004
      It's funny how quickly the anti-KIB movement decides that Barbershop can't be
      marketed, but generic singing can. Heck, most of our chapters, mine
      included, already sing tons of non-barbershop on our shows.
      Let's get on with marketing what we've already got: the best singing society
      on the planet! I agree that we could do that better, and the Marketing Plan
      has a lot of great ideas. I just don't believe we have to throw the baby out
      with the bathwater!
      If SPEBSQSA won't promote, preserve and market real Barbershop, who will?

      Steve Hoeft
      Boise Valley Chordsmen

    • Dick Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
        on 08/01/2004 6:44 AM, Bunkley@... at Bunkley@... wrote:

        > If SPEBSQSA won't promote, preserve and market real Barbershop, who will?

        - - - - - - - - - -

        I can think of about 40 names of men who would like to have
        the opportunity to try.

        (8^D)

        DJ

        PS: To ALL H@net men, posters, lurkers or otherwise:

        If you'd like to be included in (or added to) that number,
        PLEASE respond privately ASAP. Like Santa Claus, I'm
        making a list and checking it (at least) twice!

        DJ in MT
      • David M. Dantowitz
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
          Why not connect with the company that owns the rights to The Music Man
          and ask them to include brochures on the various 4-part Barbershop
          Harmony Societies? How many productions are done throughout the US
          (The World) where the society could take an ad in the show journal?

          You could advertise in some and not all, but a business-card ad would
          run you $50 to $200 in most community theater productions. You get a
          lot of exposure in communities and areas that you choose!

          You might even be able to simply search the web for where this show is
          being produced and follow up that way... How much is each new member
          worth?

          David
        • gsbmedal@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
            At 06:40 PM 8/1/2004, David M. Dantowitz wrote:
            >Why not connect with the company that owns the rights to The Music Man
            >and ask them to include brochures on the various 4-part Barbershop
            >Harmony Societies? How many productions are done throughout the US
            >(The World) where the society could take an ad in the show journal?
            >
            >You could advertise in some and not all, but a business-card ad would
            >run you $50 to $200 in most community theater productions. You get a
            >lot of exposure in communities and areas that you choose!
            >
            >You might even be able to simply search the web for where this show is
            >being produced and follow up that way... How much is each new member
            >worth?
            >
            >David

            Great idea, David!
            Music Theater International is the company which controls performance
            rights when entities rent the musical scores and produce the shows for
            theatrical performances.
            Unfortunately their website is unresponsive at this time.
            http://www.mtishows.com

            - Helen Giallombardo
          • airdale15@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
              I figure I'll promote my Chapter and the Society. Once I (finally)
              get a guy in the door and singing, the preservation of the old songs
              SHOULD take care of itself (I hope). I enjoy singing some of the more
              recent arrangements, but I also really like doing the old stuff. I
              have sung "Nellie" who knows how many times, but when our director
              had us sing it as a chorus, with a little different interp, it was
              like I was rediscovering the song. Instead of just blowing a pitch
              and going, we "PERFORMED" it. What a gorgeous song! What great
              chords!
              Now, I don't have any men of note, but it's not for a lack of
              asking. One of the things I keep running into is the misconception
              that I'm hanging out with a bunch of guys that smell like a nursing
              home. They "think" the music is old and tired, and we have to break
              that cycle. I remember the uproar over Phish singing Sweet Adeline a
              few months ago...and ya know what....I wasn't impressed. I thought
              they butchered it. But a lot of folks seemed to have the thought that
              any exposure is good for us. I tend to disagree. BAD exposure is BAD
              for us. I think the person who suggested getting Gotcha! and Vocal
              Spectrum on Letterman (or a similar national show) had a great idea.
              Get our best out in front of the people. How many of the people who
              are telling their stories about joining keep saying "I had no
              idea....". We need to put an end to that also.
              So, quick summary.....Old songs + Our top performers + National
              attention = increased awareness + increased membership.

              John Centamore, Jr.
              Bari
              Lansdale (PA) NorthPennsmen
              Excursion

              P.S. DJ, you can add me to the list you are checking twice!!
            • Adelina Zottola
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004

                I agree with 2/3 of the left side of this equation. But I think that if we really want to attract the maximum # of people we need to make sure that our top performers are singing contemporary songs in the barbershop style. Yes, some (we'll call them Group A) WILL be hooked by hearing the old songs. But I suggest that there's another group (Group B) that will NOT be attracted by hearing the old songs (no matter how well sung) but WOULD be attracted by hearing well-sung contemporary songs *in the bbshop style.* I further suggest that GROUP A would be attracted either way--by the old or by the contemporary songs. So that by going the old songs route you attract A, but by going the contemporary route you attract A + B. So you don't lose any prospective new bbshop lovers but gain a whole lot more. As I've said before I (and many current SAI's that I know) would definitely fall into the Group B camp. And further, most in group B, once hooked, would then develop an appreciation for the old songs. But then perhaps there are some out there who would prefer that I and those like me had never discovered the joys of bbshop and they don't want to continue diluting the gene pool . . . amz

                Adelina Zottola
                SAI Region 21