Re: Turning People on to Barbershop (was Re: [bbshop] PLATINUM barbe

  • Jason Portell
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      I think we owe a lot to our barbershop "Ambassadors". For example, Acoustix, because of their expansive and varied a cappella and non-a cappella repertoire, has the ability to turn many people on to barbershop harmony. Groups like that can reach a more extensive audience because of their talent and versatility. Trust me folks, there aren't many quartets out there who can intricately sing between barbershop, jazz, pop, and doo-wop genres like these quartets do.

      I admire what they do in that sense and hope they continue on doing what they do so well. For the person who is interested more in the contemporary reaches of the Barbershop style and other a cappella styles of music, groups like Acoustix and other fine quartets are great! As a matter of fact, Acoustix WAS one of the first barbershop groups that I heard that sang well. Before I joined the society, I happened across the International Contest CD for 1990. I marveled at the sound that each quartet made. Here, 6 years later, I still have that CD.

      I would like to see our friends from Dallas put together another "New Science Of Sound" type CD. One without instrumentation, or guest singers, or whatever else, and just the 4 of them. Singing Barbershop songs all the way through. I don't know if that will ever happen again (that's why I maintain that they've "Sold out"), but we'll just have to wait and see.

      An "Ambassador" supporter all the way,

      Jason Portell
      jportell@...