Re: [bbshop] [technology to support barbershop harmony]

  • Montana Jack Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2 11:50 AM
      Ed Gentry, brilliant coach of the Louisville Thoroughbreds was using such a
      system, with Jim Miller (and much earlier technology) 30 years ago. They
      took pictures of mouth formations and of an ocilliscope displaying a picture
      of what each properly sung vowel sound looked like. The chorus members
      could use the model mouth posture and then sing a vowel and change their own
      sound production to match their ocilliscope picture to that of the model.
      You may be interested to know that (at least) one of the models for correct
      mouth posture and vowel formation was none other than Past International
      Quartet Champion bass Bill Myers. As I remember, there was actually a
      society publication involving
      Sound production which had a picture of Bill singing the "oo" vowel.
      Ed and Jimmy showed us the whole system with pictures just as we completed
      the first Sound category school in 1975.
      Montana Jack, keeping the faith and keeping it barbershop