Re: I'm a Barber Pole Cat

  • tlhenrybari
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      All right, John!!!!!

      you're hooked now for sure :)

      I hope I run into you in Louisville and get a chance to get you over
      your baritone shyness ;-)

      Tom Henry
      tlhenrybari @ yahoo.com
      Alliance Chorus
      Heart of Ohio Chorus
      Chord of Appeals quartet

      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "John McCallum" <jmccallum@v...> wrote:
      > ..well at the risk of causing hundreds of members of the Harmonet to
      > express a collective "ho-hum been there done that", I am nonetheless
      > tickled pink to announce that last night at approximately 9:20 pm, I
      > qualified on my 12th Polecat song in the bass voice, making me an
      > official Barber Pole Cat!
      >
      > I started attending meetings in December, began the process of
      becoming
      > a society member in January, and (after some administrative gaffes
      which
      > were quickly dealt with at the highest levels), received my
      certificate
      > (suitable for framing) of membership about a month ago.
      >
      > Actually surprised myself too, since I figured I'd qualify in Bari
      first
      > since that's what I started out at, but I'm still two shy in that
      voice.

      > But I just wanted you all to know that it's not even been six months
      > since I rang my first chord, and I'm having more fun with the guys
      in my
      > chapter (Laguna Hills, CA, FWD) than I could have possibly imagined
      > before I walked into that rehearsal room at Geneva Presbyterian...
      >
      > Anyhow, y'all can get back to yer lively discussions about the
      National
      > Anthem or tradin' yer Louisville registrations and
      predictions...just
      > wanted to tell someone I'm a genu-wine Barber Pole Cat.
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > John McCallum
      > Laguna Hills [Quartet] Chapter, FWD
      >

      > John McCallum
      > Senior Technical Instructor
      > Vision Solutions, Inc.
      >
      > 17911 Von Karman Ave, 5th Floor
      > Irvine, CA 92614
      > UNITED STATES
      >
      > Tel: +1 (949) 660-7412
      > Fax: +1 (949) 225-0287
      > Email: jmccallum@v...
      > <http://www.visionsolutions.com/>
      > Disclaimer - 6/1/2004
      > The contents of this e-mail (and any attachments) are confidential,
      may be privileged, and may contain copyright material of Vision
      Solutions, Inc. or third parties. You may only reproduce or
      distribute the material if you are expressly authorized by Vision
      Solutions to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
      disclosure or copying of this e-mail (and any attachments) is
      unauthorized. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
      immediately delete it and any copies of it from your system and
      notify us via e-mail at helpdesk@v...

    • Charley Garrett
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
        John,

        Congratulations!!! That is some accomplishment. Very quickly too. Will
        you be in Louisville? I'd love to sing a few of them with you.

        Charley Garrett
        =========================
        President, Columbus Georgia Chapter, SPEBSQSA, Inc.
        Director, Rivertown Barbershop Chorus
        Tenor, Wildwood
        Tenor, Latter Day Harmony Quest
        The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't
        exist.

        > ..well at the risk of causing hundreds of members of the Harmonet to
        > express a collective "ho-hum been there done that", I am nonetheless
        > tickled pink to announce that last night at approximately 9:20 pm, I
        > qualified on my 12th Polecat song in the bass voice, making me an
        > official Barber Pole Cat!
        >
        > I started attending meetings in December, began the process of becoming
        > a society member in January, and (after some administrative gaffes which
        > were quickly dealt with at the highest levels), received my certificate
        > (suitable for framing) of membership about a month ago.
        >
        > Actually surprised myself too, since I figured I'd qualify in Bari first
        > since that's what I started out at, but I'm still two shy in that voice.
        >
        > But I just wanted you all to know that it's not even been six months
        > since I rang my first chord, and I'm having more fun with the guys in my
        > chapter (Laguna Hills, CA, FWD) than I could have possibly imagined
        > before I walked into that rehearsal room at Geneva Presbyterian...
        >
        > Anyhow, y'all can get back to yer lively discussions about the National
        > Anthem or tradin' yer Louisville registrations and predictions...just
        > wanted to tell someone I'm a genu-wine Barber Pole Cat.
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > John McCallum
        > Laguna Hills [Quartet] Chapter, FWD
        >

        > John McCallum
        > Senior Technical Instructor
        > Vision Solutions, Inc.
        >
        > 17911 Von Karman Ave, 5th Floor
        > Irvine, CA 92614
        > UNITED STATES
        >
        > Tel: +1 (949) 660-7412
        > Fax: +1 (949) 225-0287
        > Email: jmccallum@...
        > <http://www.visionsolutions.com/>
        > Disclaimer - 6/1/2004
        > The contents of this e-mail (and any attachments) are confidential, may be
        privileged, and may contain copyright material of Vision Solutions, Inc. or
        third parties. You may only reproduce or distribute the material if you are
        expressly authorized by Vision Solutions to do so. If you are not the
        intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail (and any
        attachments) is unauthorized. If you have received this e-mail in error,
        please immediately delete it and any copies of it from your system and
        notify us via e-mail at helpdesk@...

      • David Roberts
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
          WELL DONE, John!! I can think of nothing more worthy of a post on
          the Harmonet than this. You are now part of the absolutely BEST
          fraternity in the world, and it'll only get better. Congratulations
          from all of us here at the BirthPlace of SPEBSQSA, Tulsa, OK.

          Dave Roberts
          Tulsa Founders Chorus
          "The Grand Old Chapter"

          wrote:
          > ..well at the risk of causing hundreds of members of the Harmonet
          > express a collective "ho-hum been there done that", I am
          nonetheless
          > tickled pink to announce that last night at approximately 9:20 pm,
          > qualified on my 12th Polecat song in the bass voice, making me an
          > official Barber Pole Cat!
          >
          > I started attending meetings in December, began the process of
          becoming
          > a society member in January, and (after some administrative gaffes
          which
          > were quickly dealt with at the highest levels), received my
          certificate
          > (suitable for framing) of membership about a month ago.
          >
          > Actually surprised myself too, since I figured I'd qualify in Bari
          first
          > since that's what I started out at, but I'm still two shy in that
          voice.

          > But I just wanted you all to know that it's not even been six
          months
          > since I rang my first chord, and I'm having more fun with the guys
          in my
          > chapter (Laguna Hills, CA, FWD) than I could have possibly imagined
          > before I walked into that rehearsal room at Geneva Presbyterian...
          >
          > Anyhow, y'all can get back to yer lively discussions about the
          National
          > Anthem or tradin' yer Louisville registrations and
          predictions...just
          > wanted to tell someone I'm a genu-wine Barber Pole Cat.
          >
          > Cheers!
          >
          > John McCallum
          > Laguna Hills [Quartet] Chapter, FWD
          >

          > John McCallum
          > Senior Technical Instructor
          > Vision Solutions, Inc.
          >
          > 17911 Von Karman Ave, 5th Floor
          > Irvine, CA 92614
          > UNITED STATES
          >
          > Tel: +1 (949) 660-7412
          > Fax: +1 (949) 225-0287
          > Email: jmccallum@v...
          > <http://www.visionsolutions.com/>
          > Disclaimer - 6/1/2004
          > The contents of this e-mail (and any attachments) are
          confidential, may be privileged, and may contain copyright material
          of Vision Solutions, Inc. or third parties. You may only reproduce
          or distribute the material if you are expressly authorized by Vision
          Solutions to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
          disclosure or copying of this e-mail (and any attachments) is
          unauthorized. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
          immediately delete it and any copies of it from your system and
          notify us via e-mail at helpdesk@v...

        • andyharris1us
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
            Terrific! Now you have 12 songs you can sing with the many other
            barbershoppers who are Pole Cats when you go to conventions.

            I wonder if we should have a polecat program consisting of really
            good tags...

            Andy Harris
            Morris County Chapter
          • mpkunz
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
              I know there's an AHSOW (woodshedding) room at the international
              convention. Is there also a room for guys who want to sing the
              Barberpole Cat songs?

              Michael Kunz
              Back-row baritone
              Ambassadors of Harmony

            • John McCallum
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2004
                Just wanted to thank everyone for the encouragement and support you
                returned, both here and in private, upon my announcement.

                For those baritones who responded, I'm quite certain I'll be qualified
                on the bari part within the week (I'm saving "Shine on Me" for last
                because that was the first BBS song I ever sang at my first meeting)...

                For those who invited me to sing with 'em in Louisville, I won't be
                attending this year 'cause my daughter will be having major surgery that
                week. But, all things being optimal, you can look for me in Salt Lake
                next summer...

                And for those who have chimed in in the area of woodshedding, I'm on
                that road already--we've got us a fellow in the chapter, name of Hugh
                Scallon, who makes sure that we all have cookies and coffee in our
                mouths before he starts the woodshedding during the break. I just love
                workin' it out on the fly!

                Oh, and EXTRA-special thanks to Don Thomas, Fred Eastman, Doug
                Setterholm, George Strom and Glenn Woodmansee, who graciously offered
                their experienced and sonorous voices in support of my "Memorial Day
                Polecat Marathon"!!!

                Cheers!

                --John McCallum
                "Gen-u-wine Polecat"