Any Other Choruses Like This?

  • Bob Burrell
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27 5:03 PM
      Are there any other choruses like this one?

      I am a longtime member of the Suburbanaires, a chorus of some seventy senior barbershoppers, all retired, all members of the Barbershop Harmony Society, presently members of six other chapters in the Toronto area of Ontario, and Frank Thorne. We are a chorus, not a chapter, and we are called the Suburbanaires Barbershop Chorus. We meet every Wednesday from noon to 3 pm to sing, practice, learn, eat lunch and schmooze, and we perform out an average of twice a month, usually on Wednesday afternoons, for seniors residences, hospitals and extended care homes, schools, civic functions, charity fundraisers, and regrettably, memorial services. All the gratuities we receive we give to our charities and scholarships. Our goals are to entertain seniors and others, and make a contribution to charity, but equally importantly, to provide a recreational activity for senior barbershoppers who would like the opportunity to enjoy some non-competitive barbershop activities. We don't brag about the quality of our singing, but we always receive lavish praise and requests for repeat performances from our audiences. Some of our members are in the twilight of their lives, and have few other outside interests than their time with their Suburbanaire friends.

      I'm interested in learning of any other multi-chapter seniors choruses anywhere in the Society, with the same goals and objectives as the Suburbanaires. It's possible we could share ideas.

      By the way, Suburbanaires were formed fourteen years ago by Ross Sutherland of Markham, with the first director being Roy Keys, a well known Ontario barbershopper who also arranged most of the music for the first twelve years. Roy, now 86, is now Director Emeritus, and Milt Rainey of Oshawa now leads us. We still have a lot of Roy's arrangements in our repertoire. We number many long-time barbershoppers among our members, including Ted Hanna who has been a member of the Society for 59 years.

      Are there any other choruses like us?

      Bob Burrell,

      Member of the Scarborough Chapter and the Scarborough Barons Of Barbershop.

    • Tom Emmert
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27 7:28 PM
        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Burrell" <rmburrell@r...> wrote:
        > Are there any other choruses like this one?
        >
        > I am a longtime member of the Suburbanaires, a chorus of some
        seventy senior barbershoppers, all retired, all members of the
        Barbershop Harmony Society, ...

        Well, five years ago I organized a variation of this theme, a mini-
        chorus of employees and retirees of GE Aircraft Engines. Most of us
        were active barbershoppers, and we rehearsed on lunch hours; I
        proposed the name "Rotating Parts" for the group, but it somehow
        didn't stick.

        We sang the National Anthem at a couple of Cincinnati Reds and Xavier
        Muskies games.

        Tom in Cincy
        Who says engineers can't sing?
      • Ron Daugherty
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28 7:29 AM
          Just wondering-----
          How do you guys handle IRS (or Canadian equivalent) reporting of
          income/expenses, etc. if you are not a registered chapter and thus covered
          under Society blanket exemption? Or am I opening up a can of worms?
          I am also in an informal group, but so far we haven't had any income
          producing performances--we just get together for the fun of it.

          Ron Daugherty
          Easton, PA Brothers in Harmony

          > Are there any other choruses like this one?
          >
          > I am a longtime member of the Suburbanaires, a chorus of some seventy
          senior barbershoppers, all retired, all members of the Barbershop Harmony
          Society, presently members of six other chapters in the Toronto area of
          Ontario, and Frank Thorne. We are a chorus, not a chapter, and we are called
          the Suburbanaires Barbershop Chorus. We meet every Wednesday from noon to 3
          pm to sing, practice, learn, eat lunch and schmooze, and we perform out an
          average of twice a month, usually on Wednesday afternoons, for seniors
          residences, hospitals and extended care homes, schools, civic functions,
          charity fundraisers, and regrettably, memorial services. All the gratuities
          we receive we give to our charities and scholarships. Our goals are to
          entertain seniors and others, and make a contribution to charity, but
          equally importantly, to provide a recreational activity for senior
          barbershoppers who would like the opportunity to enjoy some non-competitive
          barbershop activities. We don't brag about the quality of our singing, but
          we always receive lavish praise and requests for repeat performances from
          our audiences. Some of our members are in the twilight of their lives, and
          have few other outside interests than their time with their Suburbanaire
          friends.

          > I'm interested in learning of any other multi-chapter seniors choruses
          anywhere in the Society, with the same goals and objectives as the
          Suburbanaires. It's possible we could share ideas.

          > By the way, Suburbanaires were formed fourteen years ago by Ross
          Sutherland of Markham, with the first director being Roy Keys, a well known
          Ontario barbershopper who also arranged most of the music for the first
          twelve years. Roy, now 86, is now Director Emeritus, and Milt Rainey of
          Oshawa now leads us. We still have a lot of Roy's arrangements in our
          repertoire. We number many long-time barbershoppers among our members,
          including Ted Hanna who has been a member of the Society for 59 years.

          > Are there any other choruses like us?
          >
          > Bob Burrell,
          >
          > Member of the Scarborough Chapter and the Scarborough Barons Of
          Barbershop.

        • Malcolm Agnew
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28 9:02 AM
            Fellow Harmonetters -
            I posted the below directly to Bob Burrell, but perhaps others will be
            interested as well. I have modified the below a bit from what I posted
            to Bob to clarify and amplify some points.
            Mal Agnew
            Harmony Heritage Singers (Mount Vernon, Virginia, Chapter) in the
            National Capital Area

            Bob -
            The Harmony Heritage Singers are daytime barbershoppers like you,
            but not
            all are retired or seniors - although the majority certainly are. We
            practice twice
            monthly 10 AM to 1 PM, and perform twice monthly - strictly daytime and not
            on weekends or nights. Last year we performed 26 times. Our performances
            are at retirement homes, luncheon groups, civic groups, etc. We receive
            donations
            and all go to meet our expenses. For example, close to 40 of us we will
            be going
            as a chorus for coaching to Harmony College East in about 3 weeks and we
            are
            paying a good portion of the $170 cost for each person attending. We
            will be
            coached there by three of the Society's best and perform on the evening
            show
            Friday.
            We were an informal group for 6 years, but because of concerns about
            our tax
            and liability status, we chartered as a chapter, Mount Vernon, Virginia,
            in January
            '03. Took a little bit of work with the Society Board, but it happened
            and so we
            are now a 67 man chapter in the Washington DC area.
            At rehearsals we average 40-45 and for performances we average 20 to
            40 -
            depending on the day and other factors. We do not compete and go out of
            our way
            not to be competitive with the other more 'traditional' chapters in the
            area. Most of
            our members - but not all - are dual members with other chapters in the
            National
            Capital area. We have 4 quartets that participate with us.
            We feel we are keeping 20 to 30 men active in barbershopping who
            otherwise
            would have dropped out. We perform at the B level and will be mike
            testers for the
            Southern Division Chorus Contest this weekend. We perform solid
            barbershop with
            a few exceptions. Last December we sang in the White House for one of
            their
            Christmas programs.
            Yes, the future of barbershopping will be with those that are
            younger - BUT
            there are a lot out there by way of older gents who can and would
            participate
            if given a chance. Sounds as if that is where you are at also.
            I will be pleased to provide additional details on how we operate
            if anyone
            is interested.
            Regards -
            Mal Agnew
            Membership VP and Chorus Manager for the Mount Vernon Chapter,
            SPEBSQSA

          • billbyrd@cavtel.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
              Here in Norfolk We have a group called "Daylight Singing Time" Made up
              mostly of Commodores and former commodore, Retired Guys that love to sing.
              They get together on thursdays, and sing out as often aas they can,
              Bill Byrd
              Norfolk Va Commodore Chorus
              Southern Division M-AD Intermediate Champs
              Buckeye Bound.
            • Dick Johnson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2004
                on 06/01/2004 5:52 AM, billbyrd@... at billbyrd@... wrote:

                > Here in Norfolk We have a group called "Daylight Singing Time" Made up
                > mostly of Commodores and former commodore, Retired Guys that love to sing.
                > They get together on thursdays, and sing out as often aas they can,
                > Bill Byrd
                > Norfolk Va Commodore Chorus
                > Southern Division M-AD Intermediate Champs
                > Buckeye Bound.

                Seems to me there's a bunch of guys from Missoula, MT, who
                call themselves something like:

                "The Out To Lunch Gang" who do similar thngs.

                DJ in MT