RE: [bbshop] Re: Variations of Four--Quartet Names

  • Joe De Felice
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2004
      I dont get this discussion .... wasn't one of the songs in
      the "movie that saved barbershopping" (Music Man) about
      pool parlors (halls) and the Trouble in River city??

      Isn't pool one of the disappearing "old tyme" pass times
      just like Barbershop singing down at the old barber shop??

      Wherefore all the restrictions on a good old name with the
      long honored and revered 8 BALL of that game where it
      played a great part of, as the captain of the ship, being the
      last ball to go down in the game of "eight ball"??

      I can see the quartet card with black balls each with music symbols,
      two G Clefs and two F Clefs, proclaiming this barbershop quartet.
      And the quartet motto.... "We got harmony, right here in River City"
      WHY would anyone reject this name.

      Say it aint so Joe Schlesinger, that's exactly
      what you meant, Right Joe?

      Have a nice day everyone. ;-)
      SHOWGLOW Joe

      At 4/1/2004 10:04 AM -0800, John McCallum wrote:
      >I quote the "Information Manual for Barbershop Quartets"
      >(http://www.spebsqsa.org/web/groups/public/documents/pages/pub_cb_00025.
      >hcsp#P80_6563):
      >
      >"Quartet names:
      >Approval of quartet names is the responsibility of the Society office.
      >Names are approved under the following guidelines:
      >
      >* A name must be in good taste, containing no offensive innuendos."
      >
      >John McCallum

    • ohlaurieob
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, gsbmedal@c... wrote:
        > I'm personally sad to see that one of my favorite quartets from
        the ILL
        > Dist. is no longer registered:
        >
        > Tom, Dick and the Hairless
        >
        > Then comes along:
        >
        > Three AARPS and A Flat

        Reminds me of a name Marge Bailey came up with: Three Flats and a
        44 Double D.

        I guess it's a female thing!!!

        Laurie O'Brien
        Pacific Sound Chorus (SAI)
      • the_wollins@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
          Now, do you have a PICTURE of that quartet!?!

          --
          Todd Wollin
          Baritone - Northbrook New Tradition

          > Reminds me of a name Marge Bailey came up with: Three Flats and a
          > 44 Double D.

          > Laurie O'Brien
          > Pacific Sound Chorus (SAI)
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John Elving
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
            My own favorite name for a seniors quartet (maybe super seniors), and
            one that hasn't been used, is "The Incontinentals".

            Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

            John Elving mailto:jelving1@...
            Rapid City, South Dakota

            Leave it up to the Seniors quartets to come up with the most clever,
            self-deprecating names.
            Ya gotta love it!
          • schlesmail
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
              --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Joe De Felice <showglowjoe@n...> wrote:
              > I dont get this discussion .... wasn't one of the songs in
              > the "movie that saved barbershopping" (Music Man) about
              > pool parlors (halls) and the Trouble in River city??
              >
              > Isn't pool one of the disappearing "old tyme" pass times
              > just like Barbershop singing down at the old barber shop??
              >
              > Wherefore all the restrictions on a good old name with the
              > long honored and revered 8 BALL of that game where it
              > played a great part of, as the captain of the ship, being the
              > last ball to go down in the game of "eight ball"??
              >
              > I can see the quartet card with black balls each with music symbols,
              > two G Clefs and two F Clefs, proclaiming this barbershop quartet.
              > And the quartet motto.... "We got harmony, right here in River
              City"
              > WHY would anyone reject this name.
              >
              > Say it aint so Joe Schlesinger, that's exactly
              > what you meant, Right Joe?
              >
              > Have a nice day everyone. ;-)
              > SHOWGLOW Joe

              Actually, I think I meant we should ask the Magic 8-Ball(R) if MaxQ
              will win international this year & see what it says in reply. Yeah,
              THAT's what I meant!

              Now, can we put this thread to rest???

              --Joseph Schlesinger
              zinger99@... (backup: schlesmail@...)
              member Shoreliner Chorus (http://www.harmonize.ws/shoreliners)
              member New Tradition Chorus (http://www.newtradition.org)
              founder Barbershop Harmony Chicagoland (http://www.bbs.singer.as)
              847/328-0921
            • annasingsbari
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                Five Left Feet.

                Never used it, but I think it's a great name!

                Anna Chamberlain
                Unplugged
              • Jeremy Conover
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                  The Forgetful Three.

                  Courtesy of Clark and Eddie

                  Jeremy M. Conover
                  Bass--Afterthought
                  2002 CAR Quartet Champs
                  www.harmonize.com/afterthought

                  Asst. Director --Banks of the Wabash Chorus
                  Terre Haute, IN
                  www.harmonize.com/banksofthewabash

                  >From: "annasingsbari" <annasingsbari@...>
                  >To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [bbshop] Re: Variations of Four--Quartet Names
                  >Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:36:06 -0000
                  >
                  >Five Left Feet.
                  >
                  >Never used it, but I think it's a great name!
                  >
                  >Anna Chamberlain
                  >Unplugged
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bob Patterson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2004
                    From: "Joe De Felice"
                    > I dont get this discussion ....

                    > >* A name must be in good taste, containing no offensive innuendos."

                    Hint: Think anatomy.

                    Is that why you're known as "SlowKnow Joe?

                    Bob Patterson,
                    Bari, Tortilla Flats
                    Tenor, Note-ables
                    > I dont get this discussion .... wasn't one of the songs in
                    > the "movie that saved barbershopping" (Music Man) about
                    > pool parlors (halls) and the Trouble in River city??
                    >
                    > Isn't pool one of the disappearing "old tyme" pass times
                    > just like Barbershop singing down at the old barber shop??
                    >
                    > Wherefore all the restrictions on a good old name with the
                    > long honored and revered 8 BALL of that game where it
                    > played a great part of, as the captain of the ship, being the
                    > last ball to go down in the game of "eight ball"??
                    >
                    > I can see the quartet card with black balls each with music symbols,
                    > two G Clefs and two F Clefs, proclaiming this barbershop quartet.
                    > And the quartet motto.... "We got harmony, right here in River City"
                    > WHY would anyone reject this name.
                    >
                    > Say it aint so Joe Schlesinger, that's exactly
                    > what you meant, Right Joe?
                    >
                    > Have a nice day everyone. ;-)
                    > SHOWGLOW Joe
                    >
                    > At 4/1/2004 10:04 AM -0800, John McCallum wrote:
                    > >I quote the "Information Manual for Barbershop Quartets"
                    >
                    >(http://www.spebsqsa.org/web/groups/public/documents/pages/pub_cb_00025.
                    > >hcsp#P80_6563):
                    > >
                    > >"Quartet names:
                    > >Approval of quartet names is the responsibility of the Society office.
                    > >Names are approved under the following guidelines:
                    > >
                    > >* A name must be in good taste, containing no offensive innuendos."
                    > >
                    > >John McCallum
                  • Joe De Felice
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2004
                      Wow.... could my post have gone THAT far over your head???
                      Talk about Slow Know.... Ask somebody to explain it to you.
                      joe

                    • Bob Patterson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 5, 2004
                        Dear LOWBLOWJOE,

                        Your post didn't go over, it went under. Obviously, you are the one who
                        needs it explained.

                        In case you've forgotten, we advertise ourselves as a G-rated
                        organization, one where
                        people can take their children to our shows without worrying about them
                        being subjected to offensive material. Some people would find a barbershop
                        quartet named "The Eight Balls" offensive. That's the bottom line. If people
                        find it offensive, it doesn't belong in barbershopping

                        Your ramblings about "The Music Man" and pool halls have nothing to do
                        with the objection
                        to the name.

                        If you still don't get it, you are in the wrong organization.

                        Bob Patterson,

                        > Wow.... could my post have gone THAT far over your head???
                        > Talk about Slow Know.... Ask somebody to explain it to you.
                        > joe
                        >
                        > At 4/4/2004 04:23 PM -0700, Bob Patterson wrote:
                        > > From: "Joe De Felice"
                        > > > I dont get this discussion ....

                        > > Hint: Think anatomy.
                        > >
                        > > Is that why you're known as "SlowKnow Joe?
                        > >
                        > > Bob Patterson,
                        > > Bari, Tortilla Flats
                        > > Tenor, Note-ables

                      • Joe De Felice
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 5, 2004
                          Sorry t o the forum.... Mr. Bob has made it personal
                          and It should be off the net. To anyone else who may
                          have missed the joke intent of the story, I apologize.
                          I will take this up with Bob off the Net. (Experience)
                          Joe