Re: [bbshop] Ideal Chapter...a non-Society Chorus

  • Ehink557@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      In a message dated 3/1/04 12:29:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      rweaver912@... writes:
      I am working an area that should house a fine Chorus soon. I am planning to
      gather the men for rehearsal, and performances, but not Charter the Chorus as
      a chapter with the Society. I've heard of other Choruses doing this. Is there
      any contacts out there. Please contact me.
      Ron
      I think such an abdication would be unforgivable. Who got you started singing
      barbershop in the first place? Where would you get your legal arrangements?
      How would you put on a show? With what kind of advertising? Supplement show
      with Society quartets? Boy, I could go on forever. Next year I will receive my 50
      year pin. What a proud moment that will be.

      Shame!!

      Ed Hinkley

    • Roger.Olson@lafarge-na.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        Ron,

        If you are planning to house a "fine chorus," shouldn't structured
        competition be an integral part of your plan? I realize that competition
        is not for everyone, but I would hope that any barbershop chorus desiring
        to focus on quality would be served well by joining the Society if only
        for the competition experience. Feedback from judges is a valuable tool
        for increasing the quality of your performances. This is but one benefit
        of chartering with the Society.

        I guess without additional information, we should not pass judgement on
        your reasoning to form outside of the BBS umbrella. Why is your group
        forming? Do the members have a unified vision of what they want their
        chorus to be? If not, you really need to have a group meeting and discuss
        your goals. Develop a mission statement, and let your group decide
        whether they want to be a Society chapter or not. But first, make sure
        that the members are aware of the benefits of Society membership. Ev Nau
        is the authority on this subject, in my opinion.

        Ev, are you out there?

        In any case, Ron, kudos for attempting to spread the joy of BBS music in
        your area. I sure hope you decide to join the Society fold, but if you
        don't, that is OKAY! A dear departed friend of mine used to say, "The
        music's the thing. Nothing else matters."

        Roger Olson
        Tenor, Sound of the Rockies

      • rweaver912@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
          Roger,
          Thanks for your support. I have already founded a Chapter and know of the
          work and exspense involved. The membership will decide when and if to apply.
          Within a radius of 100 miles there are Choruses who primarily compete, while
          others have never. I will encourage all members to join Frank Thorne(at-large).
          But it will be their decision to where they go.
          Ron

        • Jim O'Hora
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
            Seems to me Ron and members of a non-Society Chorus will be missing out on
            some of the great benefits of belonging to a SPEBSQSA or SAI or HI
            organization -- the world-wide fellowship! And the education afforded to
            members! Why go it alone?

            Donna O'Hora
            Cactus Country Chorus
            SAI