This just in....Don Harris quits as Barbershop Society's International CEO!!!

  • richstan4d2004
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      TRANSCRIPT OF THE ACTUAL BRIEFING OF DON HARRIS'S FIRST DAY ON THE
      JOB.

      OK Mr. Harris, thanks for coming up to my office and congratulations
      for becoming head of this society. There's a few things you should
      know before you take the helm of leading an average run-of-the-mill
      hobby-based organization into the 21st century. It's just routine
      stuff that I'm sure you've run into. First of all, basses are dumb,
      baritones are outcasts, leads are stagehogs, and tenors are gay.

      Remember that it's very impolite to 5th wheel. Avoiding "Kipping" a
      note unless you're VERY good. There is one professional barbershopper
      and his name is Joe Connelly. Keep that name in mind, he's the answer
      to many trivia questions. The second place quartet always got
      screwed, most of us are forced to do choreography, and then there's
      Munson Hinman.

      We thank God for Sweet Ads, for without them we would NEVER have a
      social life. The lobby is the temple of our hobby, nobody wants to be
      the Chapter President, and Joe Daniels was perfect.
      Barbershopping is the fourth leading cause of divorce in America and
      everyone is dying to hear Max Q. There are people who are known just
      by one name. Lloyd, Freddie, the aforementioned Kipp, O.C, Rupert,
      Calvin and Willard, and of course, Oxley.

      Giallombardo did not lead orchestras on New Years Eve, we really like
      listening to Bob Disney but aren't sure why, the Suntones are
      practically religious figures, Jeff Baker wrote that, Mike Senter
      can't be explained, most of us have stayed up many nights trying to
      pick the perfect quartet name, we worship the Boston Common, and
      every quartet has one guy that needs to be kicked out to move from
      16th place to 13th. There are a few of us who spend the better part
      of a decade rehearsing, spending thousands of dollars on matching
      outfits, hiring several coaches, fighting and making up, just to
      reach the ultimate plateau of International Champion and finally at
      long last being heralded as the greatest quartet of your time just to
      have someone in your office on Monday ask you if you won that trophy
      cutting hair.

      The quartet who barely sings in tune and speaks nearly no English
      always gets standing ovations. Phil DeBar is not a command. Don't ask
      what FRED really stands for. Where else would you have a mixed
      quartet of Don Butzen and his wife singing with Otto Nass and his
      wife. Their name? The Butzen Nasses.

      Our best moments ever were when some of us were dressed as toy
      soldiers, Wizard of Oz characters, the Marx Brothers, Star Trek
      personnel, and inept doctors.

      Van Tassell wouldn't hassle with the lyrics, and Felgen would be
      beltin' with the bass, and Clark wouldn't bark in a letter, and the
      lead in the Oriole Four sang high.
      Yes, I know that doesn't make any sense. But those are actual lyrics
      in a song explaining our relig..., I mean hobby.

      So Mr. Harris, let me now try to explain Lloyd Steinkamp, Dick
      Johnson, why Jim Meehan quit, how the West Towns chorus won
      International by placing second in both rounds of the contest, why
      every judge is deemed incompetent, and the new Science of Sound. I'm
      sure with your vast background leading organizations, this is making
      perfect sense to you. Right?......

      Mr. Harris?.... Don? Hmmmm where'd he go....Don??? Oooooo, that must
      have hurt--I wonder if he knew that we were on the third floor?

      Respectfully submitted,
      Richard Stanford
      Barbershopper for 20 years and 1 day 1/30/84
    • BobBabcock@ameritech.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        Brilliant! for us. You've got the players in the cross hairs!

        But the Don appears as our link to "the out side" (separation of words
        intended). We have a language amongst ourselves - socially incestuous
        perhaps. Don has the potential of seeing barbershopping for what it offers -
        and selling that to the public that we've been trying to communicate with
        unsuccessfully because we speak a different language.

        Support the man. He's selected. He's there.

        Nevertheless, this piece remains simply BRILLIANT!

> [...]
        > beltin' with the bass, and Clark wouldn't bark in a letter, and the
        > lead in the Oriole Four sang high.
        > Yes, I know that doesn't make any sense. But those are actual lyrics
        > in a song explaining our relig..., I mean hobby.
        >
        > So Mr. Harris, let me now try to explain Lloyd Steinkamp, Dick
        > Johnson, why Jim Meehan quit, how the West Towns chorus won
        > International by placing second in both rounds of the contest, why
        > every judge is deemed incompetent, and the new Science of Sound. I'm
        > sure with your vast background leading organizations, this is making
        > perfect sense to you. Right?......
        >
        > Mr. Harris?.... Don? Hmmmm where'd he go....Don??? Oooooo, that must
        > have hurt--I wonder if he knew that we were on the third floor?
        >
        > Respectfully submitted,
        > Richard Stanford
        > Barbershopper for 20 years and 1 day 1/30/84

      • Bob Patterson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          Rich,

          Beautiful!

          However, you may not live to see 20 years and two days.

          Incidently, at first I thought you had screwed up the math, but then I
          remembered that 1984 was a leap year so there was no January 31.

          Bob Patterson,
          Bari, Tortilla Flats
          Tenor, Note-ables

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
            Anyone know what the real deal is with the note below about "West Towns
            chorus won International by placing second in both rounds of the contest"?

            What it a fluke of scoring?

> [...]
            > beltin' with the bass, and Clark wouldn't bark in a letter, and the
            > lead in the Oriole Four sang high.
            > Yes, I know that doesn't make any sense. But those are actual lyrics
            > in a song explaining our relig..., I mean hobby.
            >
            > So Mr. Harris, let me now try to explain Lloyd Steinkamp, Dick
            > Johnson, why Jim Meehan quit, how the West Towns chorus won
            > International by placing second in both rounds of the contest, why
            > every judge is deemed incompetent, and the new Science of Sound. I'm
            > sure with your vast background leading organizations, this is making
            > perfect sense to you. Right?......
            >
            > Mr. Harris?.... Don? Hmmmm where'd he go....Don??? Oooooo, that must
            > have hurt--I wonder if he knew that we were on the third floor?
            >
            > Respectfully submitted,
            > Richard Stanford
            > Barbershopper for 20 years and 1 day 1/30/84

          • Brian Gordon
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
              On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 12:39:35PM -0600, BobBabcock@... wrote:
              > Anyone know what the real deal is with the note below about "West Towns
              > chorus won International by placing second in both rounds of the contest"?
              >
              > What it a fluke of scoring?

              That was during the short experiment with a two round Chorus contest -- was it
              Hartford? It was just the way the numbers worked out. They came in second to
              "Chorus A" in the semis, second to "Chorus B" in the finals, and had the
              highest total score, so they won. Consistency has its rewards...

              I'm sure someone will fill in the "A" and "B" for me.

              --
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
              | Brian Gordon -->briang@...<-- brian.gordon@... |
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2004
                At 12:04 PM 2/5/2004 -0700, Brian Gordon wrote:
                >On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 12:39:35PM -0600, BobBabcock@... wrote:
                > > Anyone know what the real deal is with the note below about "West Towns
                > > chorus won International by placing second in both rounds of the contest"?
                > >
                > > What it a fluke of scoring?
                > >

                >That was during the short experiment with a two round Chorus contest -- was it
                >Hartford? It was just the way the numbers worked out. They came in second to
                >"Chorus A" in the semis, second to "Chorus B" in the finals, and had the
                >highest total score, so they won. Consistency has its rewards...
                >
                >I'm sure someone will fill in the "A" and "B" for me.

                [Time to change the subject line.......... ;-]

                There were two chorus rounds in San Antonio 1988 as well, and that was that
                ;-).
                I think the feedback given to the C & J admins was that it was too taxing
                for the choruses to prepare 4 rounds of songs, especially for those groups
                winning district and going to International year after year.

                That was the year my husband competed in 5 rounds (2 chorus rounds with the
                New Tradition - they medalled into the 4th place bronze with 77 men on
                stage, and Chicago Chord of Trade got a 3rd place bronze) and directed the
                AIC chorus.
                Yes, he was VERY tired by Sunday morning, but that weekend had one of those
                "barbershop moments" when the 3 quartets from ILL in the Top 5 all sang
                together in a hospitality room - Chiefs of Staff (1st), Chicago Chord of
                Trade (3rd) and Chordiac Arrest (5th). Talk about an amazing Very Large
                Quartet - holy overtones, Batman!

                The Vocal Majority won the chorus contest that year.

                - Helen Giallombardo, with fond memories of 1988's contest