Don Harris

  • RHBorn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2004
      I've have read several posts by Society HQ announcing the hiring of Don
      Harris as our new Executive Director. While the posts all refer to Mr. Harris'
      accomplishments, there is nothing referenced as to his Society background, if
      any.

      Could someone please enlighten us regarding Mr. Harris?

      Thank you!

      Russ Born, VP-Mktg/PR
      Billings "Big Sky" Chorus

    • PAgnew
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2004
        Level 4 leader - I would venture to guess. A hired gun to come in and make
        things happen. Fingers crossed for success.
        Paul Agnew

        I've have read several posts by Society HQ announcing the hiring of Don
        Harris as our new Executive Director. While the posts all refer to Mr.
        Harris'
        accomplishments, there is nothing referenced as to his Society background,
        if
        any.

        Could someone please enlighten us regarding Mr. Harris?

        Thank you!

        Russ Born, VP-Mktg/PR
        Billings "Big Sky" Chorus

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Thomas Weber

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2004
            I'm sure there'll be some misgivings about a non-bbshopper being at the
            helm, but let's think in terms of him having perhaps a "fresh perspective"
            and being more likely to "think outside the box".

            > It was my understanding that all three of the finalists for the job were
            non bbs.
            > Tom
            >
            > RHBorn@... wrote:
            > I've have read several posts by Society HQ announcing the hiring of Don
            > Harris as our new Executive Director. While the posts all refer to Mr.
            Harris'
            > accomplishments, there is nothing referenced as to his Society background,
            if
            > any.
            >
            > Could someone please enlighten us regarding Mr. Harris?
            >
            > Thank you!
            >
            > Russ Born, VP-Mktg/PR
            > Billings "Big Sky" Chorus

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • I. Murray Phillips
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 30, 2004
              Bob Babcock wrote:

              | I'm sure there'll be some misgivings about a non-bbshopper being at the
              | helm, but let's think in terms of him having perhaps a "fresh perspective"
              | and being more likely to "think outside the box".

              Why should we be concerned that Don Harris wasn't a member when he was
              hired? He is very qualified to run the Society. Another member for the
              Society. I bet he will be out to see what it is all about long before he
              takes his office in August.

              I can appreciate his CV since I spent 31 years in the Association Management
              field and I also had my C.A.E. (CAE in the US). The designation and the
              successful organizations he has led will be a great benefit to us, the
              members. We on the other hand will be of great benefit to him as he gets to
              learn about the best kept secret in North American Music ... barbershop.

              Welcome aboard, Don Harris. I hope you do as well for us as Darryl Flinn and
              Joe Lyles did in their times. Count on me for my support!

              Murray Phillips <mailto:imphillips@... >
              Chorus Manager, Greater Montreal Chapter SPEBSQSA
              Editor, "The Mini-Pitch," Web Master,
              Check us out at: <http://www.nedistrict.org/montreal/ >
              AHSOW 1998 <http://www.ahsow.org >
              Co-Chairman, Montreal International 2003
              Bass, Key of Eh? <http://www.nedistrict.org/keyofeh/ >
            • andyharris1us
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                I met our new CEO, Don Harris last night at the opening of Harmony
                College. Really, guys, he's not the antichrist. He has many ideas
                which are objectionable to some only because they are new. We need
                new ideas, so lets give the guy some slack.

                Andy Harris
                Sweating thru Directors College
              • bearwest
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                  Now there's a great idea:)

                  bear

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                    Any truth to the rumor that he is YOUR long last twin brother?? ;-)
                    Harmonet wants to know these details..... LOL
                    Joe

                    At 8/2/2004 12:15 PM +0000, andyharris1us wrote:
                    >I met our new CEO, Don Harris last night at the opening of Harmony
                    >College. Really, guys, he's not the antichrist. He has many ideas
                    >which are objectionable to some only because they are new. We need
                    >new ideas, so lets give the guy some slack.
                    >
                    >Andy Harris
                    >Sweating thru Directors College
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Marion Collinson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                      andyharris1us <andyharris1us@...> wrote:
                      He has many ideas which are objectionable to some only because they are new.

                      I write:

                      This is true in most organizations, not just this Society. I am the Vice-President of our church womens group. I am young (30 in Oct.) comapred to the rest of the members (except my mother) who are in their early 60's and up.

                      I had some differenet ideas to try instead of "the same old thing" these were not drastic by any means, just a way of adding something different to an annual event. It took months and months of discussing before they agreed to try it. Surprise!! It worked, we had fun, more people attended and we made more money at the event than the last few years.

                      I think their most favorite phrase is/was "That's the way we've always done it, we're not going to change".

                      Sometimes it doesn't hurt to try something new, if it doesn't work, then go back to the way things were, there's not much difficulty in that unless you create it yourself, which, IMHO some of you are.

                      As I said, it doesn't hurt to try something new, give it time, give yourself time to get used to it.

                      Try something new....Hmmmm maybe I'll try brussel sprouts tonight. :-)

                      Marion Collinson

                      Sudbury, Ontario ~ Canada

                    • Alan Gordon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
                        --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Marion Collinson <marionsings@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Try something new....Hmmmm maybe I'll try brussel sprouts
                        tonight. :-)

                        Brussel Sprouts?!?!? You had me until then...

                        That's just crazytalk, now!!! = )

                        Alan
                        gotchabari@...
                      • Matthew Tipton
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 11, 2004
                          Hey! I think I saw Don Harris on the grassy knoll in Dallas in 1963. I bet
                          he hates Elvis and apple pie too!

                          In case any of you ever get to wondering why lynch mobs are so easy to form,
                          just remember this little exchange (and others) on the Harmonet. Otherwise
                          well-meaning, nice people often find themselves "piling on" once a few
                          others have thrown accusations. I have to stand up and say "shame on you,"
                          however. If those of you who had a problem with something like the beanie
                          situation (and I say "good riddance, BTW) had written Don personally, you
                          probably would have gotten a satisfactory response. Which is NOT to say you
                          necessarily would agree with him, or whomever, but standing up in public and
                          berating the guy IS NOT PRODUCTIVE.

                          Here's something else that may shock you. If Don Harris's - no the ENTIRE
                          Kenosha staff's only purpose and goal were to KILL the Society and the
                          public's enjoyment of barbershop music, they would fail miserably. They
                          would fail in the same way and for the same reason the U.S. government
                          failed to make prohibition stick. Of course this notion is entirely
                          ridiculous. But to read some of the posts about Don, "evolvers" and other's,
                          that's exactly what it sounds like.

                          <snip>

                          "Steve Hoeft" <Bunkley@...> wrote:

                          "That's what Don Harris and his posse are hoping."

                          <snip>

                          It may well be that Will Rogers never met Don Harris. I'd be willing to bet
                          Steve Hoeft never met him either, though. So how is it you can be so sure of
                          his motives as to run around shouting that "the sky is falling" having just
                          read a few hearsay posts? We may not agree with Mr. Harris on this or any
                          number of other topics. But to assume that we know his motives to be
                          something other than honest or that he something other than the betterment
                          of the organization he leads in mind AND to say it in public without being
                          able to back it up is not only irresponsible, it's more damaging than
                          anything Mr. Harris has been accused of. That behavior will have more to do
                          with good men leaving the Society than any damn beanie!

                          So, the next time you are getting ready to post to the Harmonet - or make
                          some other negative public comment about someone else, try this: go to that
                          person directly. Call or write the person and tell them how you feel and ask
                          him to explain himself. Not only will you feel better after you do so, your
                          actions will go a lot further to getting things changed than the public
                          name-calling approach - I guarantee it. A lot of personally directed,
                          heartfelt letters and calls are much harder to ignore than a mindless mob.

                          Matt in Mich.

                          (getting off his soapbox now)