Re: The "Szabo" experience

  • Tom Emmert
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2003
      --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Joe De Felice <showglowjoe@n...> wrote:

      > They sang what they sang, because it must be their short show
      > program consisting of songs that appeal to their general audience.
      > Therein MAY lie their only offense..... IF there is ANY.
      > KNOW THY AUDIENCE.

      Joe has stated the cardinal rule of any entertainer, and he's right
      on the money.

      I think the answer, objectively, lies in whether the show was
      advertised as Barbershop. If a listener goes to a show because he's
      been promised barbershop, it behooves us to deliver a high percentage
      of barbershop.

      If it's advertised as a cappella, or jazz, or modern, or classical,
      then adjust the content accordingly.

      Don't let the audience feel cheated!

      Tom in Cincy
    • Dick Johnson
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2003
        on 11/30/2003 08:26 PM, Tom Emmert at fclef@... wrote:

        -----snip-----
        > I think the answer, objectively, lies in whether the show was
        > advertised as Barbershop. If a listener goes to a show because he's
        > been promised barbershop, it behooves us to deliver a high percentage
        > of barbershop.
        >
        > If it's advertised as a cappella, or jazz, or modern, or classical,
        > then adjust the content accordingly.
        >
        > Don't let the audience feel cheated!
        >
        > Tom in Cincy

        - - - - - - - - - -

        Did I miss something?

        Wasn't the show for a COTS audience?

        Was that OUR (SPEB) COTS -- or the Crude Oil
        Transportation System (or some such)?

        Might make a difference.

        DJ in MT
      • andyharris1us
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2003
          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Dick Johnson <djspebs@e...> wrote:
          > Did I miss something?
          >
          > Wasn't the show for a COTS audience?
          >
          > Was that OUR (SPEB) COTS -- or the Crude Oil
          > Transportation System (or some such)?
          >
          > Might make a difference.

          OK, let's get to the bottom of this: Besides Burt Szabo, were any
          other members of the COTS audience mortally offended by this
          poisonous performance? Seem I keeps seeing the same names again and
          again.
        • Dick Johnson
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2003
            on 12/01/2003 09:26 AM, andyharris1us at andyharris1us@... wrote:

            > OK, let's get to the bottom of this: Besides Burt Szabo, were any
            > other members of the COTS audience mortally offended by this
            > poisonous performance? Seem I keeps seeing the same names
            > again and again.

            - - - - - - - - - - - -

            The same can be said of the "Anti-Szabo" posts.

            DJ in MT
          • Michael Eastman
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2003
              I hope we can get over being pro- or anti-Szabo. I hope we can look at
              the facts of each situation and judge and discuss accordingly, in a
              civil and brotherly manner. That's why I emailed Burt and asked him what
              the songs were. I didn't "throw up", but I had to admit it looked like a
              list of jazz and show tunes. I also had to admit that, at a barbershop
              function, I'd expect to hear at least a significant number of songs that
              are unquestionably at the solid core of the style. I just wish it had
              been said a little differently; then we might have generated a little
              more light and less heat.

              Michael Eastman
              Oregon Mid-Coast Chapter
              Newport, Oregon
              meastman@...

            • rogsp10r@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1, 2003
                In a message dated 12/1/03 12:09:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                djspebs@... writes:

                > OK, let's get to the bottom of this: Besides Burt Szabo, were any
                > >other members of the COTS audience mortally offended by this
                > >poisonous performance? Seem I keeps seeing the same names
                > >again and again.
                > >
                > - - - - - - - - - - - -
                >
                > The same can be said of the "Anti-Szabo" posts.

                Yes, which is why naming the songs might help us move onto the merits of the
                case rather than simply hand-wringing. An actual fact or two might be helpful.

                roger payne

              • Michael Eastman
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 1, 2003
                  I would have shared the list, but it's on my "other" computer. I will
                  post it later, if no one else does so first.
                  Mike Eastman

                  rogsp10r@... wrote:

                  >Yes, which is why naming the songs might help us move onto the merits of the
                  >case rather than simply hand-wringing. An actual fact or two might be helpful.
                  >
                  >roger payne

                • Dick Johnson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 1, 2003
                    on 12/01/2003 10:49 AM, Rogsp10r@... at Rogsp10r@... wrote:

                    An actual fact or two might be helpful.

                    roger payne

                    Agreed. Like getting some *real* facts about that DQ earlier.

                    (8^D)

                    DJ in MT