ROSE PARADE FLOAT

  • Philip Richards
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2000
      Watch for the Burbank, CA float, entitled, "The All-American Barbershop
      Quartet", tomorrow morning.

      The float is the 8th from the END of the parade tomorrow, so watch for
      it. It was my first time seeing one of these magnificent floats up
      close, and I can tell you that TV doesn't begin to do them justice.
      There are 4 all-American characters on the float -- a bald eagle, a
      bear, a dog and a turkey -- all dressed in "sequined" vests and straw
      hats, carrying canes and wearing big mustaches. The detailing was
      incredible. For example, the bear's eyes were made with split peas --
      each pea was individually glued on, which took 23 hours just for the 2
      eyes alone.

      The float features the music of the well-known men's barbershop
      champions, the Suntones. The float designer worked closely with
      SPEBSQSA to obtain the music -- they chose all public domain songs so
      they didn't have to pay royalties, and got permission from all 4 members
      of the Suntones to use the music for free.

      Excerpts for the SweetAdeline Email Group