Performing tags, a radical concept!

  • Mike Barkley
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 28 2:40 AM
      Hello all,

      As I've listened to tags and polecats sung here and there I've gradually
      become aware of what a great opportunity is often lost in such singing.
      Take a tag, for instance, "Give me your hand to hold in mine, and I will
      give you my heart, my heart." Isn't that a wonderful, powerful sentiment?
      An opportunity to express with full emotion to someone beloved? A phrase
      that cries out for being the person speaking or singing, to climb into
      the role? And there are many, many tags like it, full of possible
      expressiveness and emotion, as are such polecats as "Heart of My Heart".

      These days I become so disappointed when I hear guys stand around singing
      such tags and polecats without climbing into the role and performing them,
      rather than just making chords. We would not (knowingly) go to contest
      and sing an entire song expressively, and then shut off the emotional
      spigot when the tag starts. Why do we do it when singing the tag alone?
      What we do trains us. If we sing it a hundred times just to make chords,
      and once to convey meaning and expression, which "training" sticks? With
      the Harmonet I may be preaching to the choir, but in case I'm not, as you
      sing your tags and polecats, look for opportunities in them to be the role,
      to deliver the message, not just the chords. Do it for your audiences, do
      it for your scores, do it for the enjoyment.

      "Give me your hand to hold in mine, and I will give you my heart, my heart."

      "Life would be naught without you...."

      All the best,

      --Mike Barkley, 161 N. Sheridan Ave. #1, Manteca, CA 95336 (H) 209/823-4817
      mjbarkl@... - bass, KaBLaM!

      btw, the more I work on "performing", the more I enjoy "singing"! Amazing!
    • Marti Lovejoy
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 28 5:18 AM
        Sort of on this topic... I think every quartet should have a ten- to
        twenty-second sound bite ready to perform in case they are ever in a
        position to be on TV or radio. So often, you see a quartet on TV start
        with the intro of a song - often NOT the most interesting, either
        lyrically or musically! Then, they are cut off before they ever get to
        the good part! Find a starting place in a great song that sounds GREAT
        from the first chord and makes sense lyrically and practice it in
        varying lengths to be ready when opportunity knocks! Some of the tags
        we all love would be perfect sound bites.

        --
        Marti Lovejoy
        Proud "Owner" of SING: sponsor of a YSF Scholarship in 2002
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 28 7:30 AM
          Hi,
          I think that I know some of what sparked Mike's post.
          His quartet participated in the Saturday evening parade of quartets at
          Harmony College West. Our headliner was Gotcha!

          One of the songs they did was "Wait Till The Sun Shines Nellie." They do
          almost a polecat version of it. It got them standing O's. They sang the
          dickens out of it, and it was beautiful. You could tell that they had their
          heart in the song. The song was great and so were they.
          Thanks again for that weekend,

          Tom Schleier
          Bari; Phoenicians, Allegro (sorted by size)
          tom.schleier@acssd.L-3com.com
          Phone (623) 445-6641 Pager: (602) 204-0119 Fax: (623) 445-7003

          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE & DISCLAIMER. This message, together with
          attachments, is for the confidential and exclusive use of the addressee. If
          you receive it in error, please delete the message and its attachments from
          your system immediately and notify us by return e-mail. Do not disclose,
          copy, circulate or use any information contained in this e-mail. (1) The
          content of this e-mail is to be read subject to ACSS terms of business, as
          applicable. (2) E-mail may be intercepted or affected by viruses and ACSS
          accepts no responsibility for any interception or liability for any form of
          viruses introduced by this e-mail. (3) The sender shall remain solely
          accountable for any statements, representations or opinions that are clearly
          his or her own and not made in the course of employment.

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 28 10:41 AM
            --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Marti Lovejoy <LovejoyMar@w...> wrote:
            > I think every quartet should have a ten- to twenty-second sound
            > bite ready to perform in case they are ever in a position to be
            > on TV or radio.

            Oh most definitely! Many years ago one of my first quartets went to
            a local mall to donate to the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon. The
            producers decided they wanted us to to present it during one of the
            local breaks AND could we do a quick 5-10 second hand-off back to
            the studio "Back to you Sean..." Being new barbershoppers and a
            fledgling quartet, it took us a bit to figure out what the heck to
            do, but we managed to work it out just in time. I'm not even sure it
            dawned on us to modify an existing tag! Guess we won't be on
            Letterman any time soon. (LOL)

            In harmony,
            Steve Sammonds
            Lead, Adagio
            Former lead of the former Native CaliFOURnians
          • Bob Landry
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 28 1:48 PM
              Good idea Marti, also handy when they want an encore but time restrictions don't allow for a full song.

              Here are a few tags that are complete messages :
              "Give me your Hand"
              " For Life is interwoven"
              "Good in all things I see but when you're leaving me, etc."
              "London by Night"
              "Thru the dark and dreary skies"
              "Darling that someone is you"
              "Good night my love"
              "If all my dreams were made of gold"
              "Lullabye and goodnight"
              "Always let you conscience be your guide"
              "I'll be back some by and bye"
              "I'll come to you smiling thru the years"
              "That old feelingis still in my heart"
              "Into each and ev'ry life some rain, etc."
              "Old Dominion Line"
              "Annie's gone away"
              "Nothing but mem'ries"
              "Who'll dry your tears"
              "My Diane"
              "Those wedding bells are breaking up"
              "Pal of my dreams"

              Enough for now, but I have more.

              Marti Lovejoy <LovejoyMar@...> wrote:
              Sort of on this topic... I think every quartet should have a ten- to
              twenty-second sound bite ready to perform in case they are ever in a
              position to be on TV or radio. So often, you see a quartet on TV start
              with the intro of a song - often NOT the most interesting, either
              lyrically or musically! Then, they are cut off before they ever get to
              the good part! Find a starting place in a great song that sounds GREAT
              from the first chord and makes sense lyrically and practice it in
              varying lengths to be ready when opportunity knocks! Some of the tags
              we all love would be perfect sound bites.

              --
              Marti Lovejoy
              Proud "Owner" of SING: sponsor of a YSF Scholarship in 2002
              Score Collector for SING (and the site below)
              Life Member, Reg 10, TX, USA - 31 years so far

              Bob Landry, tagging since 1947

              The guy with the "Little Black Book" of Tags

              Director, Acadiana Chorus, Jennings, LA

            • Kelly Andrews
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 28 2:28 PM
                While I can certainly agree that performing a song can truly make you realize the nature of the lyrics, can't I stand with beer in hand belting out chords that I can ring just for the heck of it?

                I would imagine you see a lot of this at after glows. Most guys just spent the last who knows how long working details of the emotion and investigating minute tuning issues and so on.

                I for one am done at that point. I want to ring some chords... and loud too.

              • Condon Thomas A KPWA
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 28 2:48 PM
                  > While I can certainly agree that performing a song can truly make you
                  > realize the nature
                  > of the lyrics, can't I stand with beer in hand belting out chords that I
                  > can ring just
                  > for the heck of it?

                  Well certainly you can. But let's look at the bad habits you are building.
                  You aren't putting emotion into the story you are telling. You are singing
                  loud for loud's sake, not performing a believable rendition of the dynamics
                  that match the story line. You undoubtedly have poor posture. And for
                  heaven's sake, you are warming the darn beer by holding it in your hand!
                  ;-})

                  Tom :-})

                  Thomas A. Condon

                  Plain Text Emails Don't Pass Viruses!
                • Dave Jacobs
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 29 6:06 AM
                    Kelly Andrews wrote:
                    > ...can't I stand with beer in hand belting out chords that I
                    > can ring just for the heck of it?

                    --- Condon Thomas A KPWA <tcondon@...> responded:
                    Well certainly you can. But let's look at the bad habits you are building... ...And for heaven's sake, you are warming the darn beer by holding it in your hand! ;-})
                    ---

                    I must admit, I've been in some afterglo situations where bad habits *were* reinforced "gangsinging" tags... ...But, I also remember learning, refining, and reinforcing much of my barbershop craft in the parking lots of several establishments (usually way after closing time) singing those same tags. Tag singing is where I learned to post a high G with quality, and also where I learned to sing "Give me your hand..." with tender vocal emotion. (oh, yeah, also all that vowel matching, and balance and blend stuff, too.)

                    It all depends on the participants level of devotion to the music, or just the fellowship. (The same things that make our chapters strive for different objectives.)

                    My advice... get that beer out of the glass while it's still cold.

                    Dave Jacobs g8r10r(at)juno(dot)com
                    Gainesville, FL
                    Y2KFour (only 5 months 'til the name makes sense again), bari.

                    Tom :-})

                    Thomas A. Condon

                    Plain Text Emails Don't Pass Viruses!

                    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                  • Dick Johnson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 29 6:30 AM
                      on 08/29/2003 7:06 AM, Dave Jacobs at g8r10r@... wrote:

                      > It all depends on the participants level of devotion to the music, or just the
                      > fellowship. (The same things that make our chapters strive for different
                      > objectives.)

                      - - - - - - - - - -

                      All Chapter Counselors: take note.

                      All Chapters: contact your Chapter Counselor ASAP!

                      DJ in MT
                    • Steve Shannon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 29 9:29 AM
                        On the other hand....

                        Maintaining focus on perfect pitch, balance, meter, diction, target sounds,
                        support, tone,
                        color, emotion, etc., throughout an entire song is a huge challenge; even
                        for accomplished
                        singers. So, using short "sound bites" (tags) to hone specific skills can
                        be a very valuable
                        learning tool. And, the better you do it, the more fun it is.

                        That's why the international Woodshedding Society (AHSOW) encourages
                        'ear-singers' to
                        strive for quality, rather than feel compelled to finish entire songs, or
                        even entire phrases.
                        "It's the sound, stupid" one of my students tactfully reminded the class.
                        With or without a
                        libation in hand, ringing chords is where it's at. Maybe that's why so many
                        medallists and
                        other great singers are joining the 'new' AHSOW.

                        If you haven't experienced this "new" rage in barbershopping (using your
                        ears to ring every
                        chord) be sure to enroll in the next Ear-Arrangement class in your area.
                        FWD and ONT
                        districts are leading the way with special classes at their fall, District
                        Conventions! (If
                        your District hasn't scheduled an AHSOW class yet, ask your Events VP to
                        contact me.)

                        Yours for a (ringing) song,

                        Steve Shannon

                        AHSOW VP - Education
                      • kkbari
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 29 9:58 AM
                          I'm quite intrigued by the tag singing "emotional" thread.

                          Cheers! first formed exactly in this manner. We all ended up in the
                          same hospitality room at 2000 ILL District. We stood around and
                          decided that we were going to sing "First Hello". "High or low
                          tag?". "High". Cool. Man, is this going to be loud. Joe, Opie and
                          I are just waiting to peel paint at the tag, and we start
                          singing "Our song was a songÂ…" in an attitude of biding our time to
                          get loud. Meanwhile, Chuck is selling the heck out of "Our SONG was
                          a SONGÂ…". After the first phrase, I stopped the quartet and
                          said, "Excuse me, Mr. Sisson, let me have do-overs" (that was the
                          first time I had met Chuck). Then we sold the living daylights out
                          of the song. And that tag was much better than it would have been if
                          we have simply coasted until we got there.

                          That moment had a profound effect on my approach to singing from then
                          on. Chuck has taught us "if you want to be a champion, it isn't a
                          sometimes thing. It is an all-the-time thing" (not his words but his
                          actions). We rapidly learned that he never turns off. As a result,
                          we now "never turn off". I was singing tags last year and after the
                          first tag, a guy turned to me and said, "Kevin, this isn't Cheers!".
                          Well, you know what, I now know no other way to sing/perform. I
                          can't turn off now, and frankly, it's more fun to be "on". To reach
                          musical excellence, you can't spend your time turning on and off and
                          ever get close. You either commit to it, or you don't.

                          I love singing 'em high and loud just like the next guy. I get
                          plenty of practice at it every week!!!!! But I've learned that it is
                          more fun and you get more ring when you do what all those coaches
                          would coach you to do.

                          Cheers!

                          Kevin Keller
                          Bari, Cheers!
                        • Cal Sexton
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 29 11:05 AM
                            There used to be a quartet from PIO called the "Detroit Taggers". They did
                            nothing but Tags and one-liner jokes. Did a lot of shows in the area using
                            this format.

                            Cal Sexton
                            TheTexSon@...

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 3, 2003
                              Well, here's one for you...

                              On The Noise Boys soon-to-debut CD, you will find a tag as one of the
                              14 cuts...

                              ....and it's not even a bonus track....!

                              ...I think you'll like it!

                              Jeff Veteto
                              Low NoiseMaker
                              www.noiseboys.org