Re: [bbshop] Webcast trouble

  • Daniel Smith Jr.
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2 7:00 PM
      I logged into the webcast around 15 minutes before it started (looked at the
      schedule of broadcast times.) I'd probably suggest, if you're able, log on
      before each session starts and avoid the rush. It seems that everyone is
      trying to get on at once and overloading things. I've been running it for
      the past 2hours, 35minutes with no problem at all.

      I just wish my computer was a tad bit more powerful so I can view it as
      well. :)

      Take care,
      Dan Smith, Jr.

      Just a suggestion. :)
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2 9:28 PM
        It took them about 10 to 12 quartets to get the sound right. Once they got it straightened out, the quality was quite good.

        Travis Murray
        Lead - The Wanderers
        http://www.the-wanderers.com

        I tried to listen to the broadcast but it was so POOR
        that I gave up. Last years broadcast was SO MUCH
        better!

        George D. Booth
        > Is anyone else having trouble getting on the webcast? I have tried at
        > all speeds and it loads and then dumps. I have a broadband connection
        > and meet all the requirements. Anyone have any suggestions?

      • Tyler Rackley
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3 7:19 AM
          If you're having a hard time logging on I would do the following:

          Copy this link (CTRL-C):
          http://wwwtor.activate.net/dome/spebsqsa/Jul02-
          03/auditorium/player/030702-100.asx

          Then go to windows media player... go to File--then OPEN URL

          Paste the link (CTRL-V) in there and hit open.

          I had the same time with trying to log in. It wouldn't let me
          connect. It kept dumping my connection. Majority of the time it
          kept giving me a "Codec 130" not found error. Just do what i
          desscribed above and you should be fine. Good luck!!

          Tyler Rackley

          --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, Travis Murray <travis@m...> wrote:
          > It took them about 10 to 12 quartets to get the sound right. Once
          they got it straightened out, the quality was quite good.

          > Travis Murray
          > Lead - The Wanderers
          > http://www.the-wanderers.com

        • Paul Agnew
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3 8:05 AM
          • Paul Agnew
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3 8:08 AM
              Apologies.
            • Walt Miller
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3 8:16 AM
                I hooked my computer up to my 50" TV using the S-video connector and the
                stereo in and out connectors. Using the full-screen option on the viewer, I
                was able to fill the 50" screen with only slighty degraded video. The audio
                was overbalanced slightly to the tenor side which I compensated for with
                adjustments to my amp. I watched the entire session with no drop outs or
                buffering problems over my DSL line. I would rather have been there....but
                this has to be the next best thing.

                Mike Morris, of the Singing Buckeyes, is hosting a quartet finals party on
                Friday evening. He will be using a similar setup, except he will be using a
                digital projector to project the picture onto a rec room wall. It worked
                great last year and about 30 of us were able to share the fellowship and
                excitement of the finals. Can't wait to do it again.

                Walt Miller
                Singing Buckeyes

                > I tried to listen to the broadcast but it was so POOR
                > that I gave up. Last years broadcast was SO MUCH
                > better!
                >
                > George D. Booth

              • Keith Eckhardt
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3 8:23 AM
                  > I hooked my computer up to my 50" TV using the S-video connector and the
                  > stereo in and out connectors. Using the full-screen option on the viewer,
                  > was able to fill the 50" screen with only slighty degraded video. The
                  audio
                  > was overbalanced slightly to the tenor side which I compensated for with
                  > adjustments to my amp.

                  I kept hearing way too much tenor also and wondered about it. But it wasn't
                  so noticeable on some quartets. Why would it be so overbalanced for tenor?

                  Keith Eckhardt
                  Placerville, CA
                • dsmithjr@mindspring.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3 8:53 AM
                    THANK you, Keith!!! I too heard WAY too much tenor, and my hope is that this won't be auidable on the master tape that's distributed for the Top 20. Along with that comment, I really felt deprived of a nice baritone sound as well. I certainly hoped that it was a "webcast snafoo" and not the real thing. :(

                    Oh well, I was happy to have been able to hear it. I stayed logged on for 3hours and 33 minutes last night. :)

                    Take care,
                    Dan Smith, Jr.

                    > I hooked my computer up to my 50" TV using the S-video connector and the
                    > stereo in and out connectors. Using the full-screen option on the
                    viewer,
                    > was able to fill the 50" screen with only slighty degraded video. The
                    audio
                    > was overbalanced slightly to the tenor side which I compensated for with
                    > adjustments to my amp.

                    I kept hearing way too much tenor also and wondered about it. But it
                    wasn't
                    so noticeable on some quartets. Why would it be so overbalanced for
                    tenor?

                    Keith Eckhardt
                    Placerville, CA

                  • David Bailey-Aldrich
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3 9:09 AM
                      From the few quartets who had Baritones standing on the far right
                      (Gotcha is the one I remember best), it seems like that side of the
                      quartet was ALWAYS more audible on the webcast. It just happend to
                      be true that most quartets had their Tenor standing there.

                      I agree that I hope it doesn't carry over to the master recording
                      used for the top 20 recording. As much as I like a good Tenor, I
                      like it best when he's in good balance.

                      Still, it was better than nothing being able to see and hear the
                      quarter-finals from my own home.

                      David Bailey-Aldrich
                      Lead - GNU
                      Hilltop MN Chapter
                    • dsmithjr@mindspring.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3 9:22 AM
                        I agree that I hope it doesn't carry over to the master recording
                        used for the top 20 recording. As much as I like a good Tenor, I
                        like it best when he's in good balance.

                        Still, it was better than nothing being able to see and hear the
                        quarter-finals from my own home.

                        David Bailey-Aldrich
                        Lead - GNU
                        Hilltop MN Chapter

                        True, True. It was great to sit around in shorts & flip-flops, and relax in my office to the sounds of quartets. :) Unfortunately, from time to time, it's really difficult to step into my "just go and enjoy the sound" mode, rather than "judge each thing you hear" mode. :) I'm still trying to ovecome that!! :)

                        Ahhhh...this is so much fun! Hopefully when I arrive in Columbus this weekend, my laptop will be able to support a video feed as well. Sure would be great to see my lead and baritone as they compete for the collegiate gold! GO VOCAL TONIC!!!!

                        Take care,
                        Dan Smith, JR.
                        Singing Judge - ILL