Fw: [aohnews] Rob Update

  • Gordon Manion
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
      From: "James Henry" <ghgbass@...>
      To: "AOH" <everyone@...>
      Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 6:54 PM
      Subject: [aohnews] Rob Update

      > Hi guys. Here's an update on Rob. I'm also posting this to the Gas House
      > Gang's web site and the harmonet.
      >
      > I don¹t have very good news to report today. Saturday night Rob¹s left
      leg
      > started to swell up. Sue called the doctor who said that if it wasn¹t any
      > better in the morning he should go back to the hospital. It wasn¹t, so he
      > did. Rob has developed deep vein thrombosis, a huge blood clot (running
      the
      > extent of his entire leg) in a major vein. His leg is swollen because the
      > clot prohibits the blood that has flowed into his leg from flowing back
      out
      > again. This condition is a result of his tumor, which--as I understand
      > it--secretes some sort of chemical that encourages the blood to clot. The
      > Coumadin that he has been taking was not thinning the blood enough to
      > prevent this. I wish I could give a good news/bad news scenario, but
      there
      > frankly isn¹t anything good about it. As you can imagine, Rob is
      > experiencing severe discomfort and pain (though the morphine he¹s on is
      > helping somewhat). We¹ve been informed that the tumor will continue to
      > inspire these clots as long as it is vital and growing. If the
      chemotherapy
      > or some other treatment doesn¹t squelch the tumor, the clots will keep
      > coming. As long as the clot is there, Rob must remain in bed, either on
      his
      > back or on his right side, with his leg propped up 45 degrees. He may not
      > get out of bed for any reason or the leg will get even worse. In other
      > words, Rob is completely bed-ridden and will remain so until the clot
      > shrinks enough to allow it. This could be months, years or--if the
      > treatments don¹t work--the rest of his life, however long that may be.
      The
> [...]
      > looking down a very long, dark tunnel. If the chemo or some other
      treatment
      > doesn¹t work on his tumors Rob is facing the prospect of either spending
      > what time he has left flat on his back or dying instantly of an embolism.
      > I¹m sorry I¹m not doing a better job of sugar coating this thing, but I
      just
      > came from the hospital and I can¹t muster any pretense right now. I
      figure
      > that you, our friends who know and love Rob, should know what is truly
      going
      > on so that you can understand how desperately we need your prayers.
      >
      > The doctor has put Rob on a stronger blood thinner (Heparin), and they¹ve
      > installed a porta catheter, which is like a little portal inserted near
      his
      > heart just under the skin and connected to a primary vein. Through this,
      > they can give him medication, chemotherapy drugs, fluids, or anything else
      > one would use an IV for. This means he won¹t have to get stuck in the
      arms
      > and hands anymore (except for blood tests). This is a good thing: he¹s
      been
      > stuck so many time that his veins have become too fragile for traditional
      > IV¹s (not to mention the fact that he¹s starting to look like a junkie!).
      > Now they just hook up to the needle in the porta cath and the drugs go
      > directly into his system, no muss no fuss. Rob will start his
      chemotherapy
      > treatments tomorrow, and we¹re going to expect positive results from that.
      >
      > I was supposed to be in Montreal today, but I postponed my trip. I will,
      > however, be there to direct on Saturday, but David will likely have to
      take
      > one or both of the rehearsals on Friday. Thank you so much for your
      > overwhelming show of support. I have been reading the e-mails about how
      you
      > are all rallying to take care of the tasks around Rob's house, and I just
      > cry. What have I or my family done to be blessed with so many dear and
      > precious friends? Guys, please read this very carefully and take it to
      > heart: You must NOT let this get in the way of your performing our contest
      > set this weekend with JOY, HEART and EXCELLENCE. It's the one great and
      > happy thing that we can experience together right now; it's the one way
      that
      > we can thank Rob for his years of service to us; it's the one way that we
      > can improve the lives of the people (including the judges) who will be in
      > the audience; it's the one way that we can show the world what the
      > Ambassadors of Harmony family is truly made of. Please friends, let's fix
      > those last details that need fixing, postpone all the sadness and worry
      > until next week and give those people a life changing experience Saturday.
      >
      > I love, admire and respect you all more than I will ever be able to say.

    • Jason Boddie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
        Wow!!!

        I should hope and pray that the news can and will get
        better.

        Until then I will keep alive in my mind one of the
        many performance memories of Rob Henry alive and well.

        And that memory would simply b, of Rob screaming into
        Kip's ear:

        " DAY- OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, DAY-AY-AY-OOOOOO."

        Waht a great bit.

        Jason
> [...]
        > > heart: You must NOT let this get in the way of
        > your performing our contest
        > > set this weekend with JOY, HEART and EXCELLENCE.
        > It's the one great and
        > > happy thing that we can experience together right
        > now; it's the one way
        > that
        > > we can thank Rob for his years of service to us;
        > it's the one way that we
        > > can improve the lives of the people (including the
        > judges) who will be in
        > > the audience; it's the one way that we can show
        > the world what the
        > > Ambassadors of Harmony family is truly made of.
        > Please friends, let's fix
        > > those last details that need fixing, postpone all
        > the sadness and worry
        > > until next week and give those people a life
        > changing experience Saturday.
        > >
        > > I love, admire and respect you all more than I

        =====
        Jason I. Boddie

        http://sbc.yahoo.com