Re: Rob Henry

  • andrewbytes
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2003
      Rob,
      Please get better soon... Tony and Mike may have been stretching your
      shoes out, but only you can fill them.
      -From The Whole Borts Family
      (unless Bro want's to chime in with his own comments ...)
    • Beatnik Mike, man - Dallas Knights, man
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2003
        Golden bari voice,
        We are ALL pulling for you,
        HANG IN THERE, BROTHER!

        Peace, Harmony and Projecting Positive Thoughts & Prayers,

        Beatnik Mike
      • David
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 11, 2003
          Does anybody out there have any word on How Rob Henry from GHG is
          doing? David G. From Wichita
        • Diane M. Garcia
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 11, 2003
            You can keep up on Rob's condition at:
            http://www.gashousegang.com/robhenry.php

            -Diane

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 16, 2003
              With new blood at our college a cappella competition (not to be confused
              with the MBNA College barbershop event) we are considering a major overhaul
              in the way we judge college a cappella competitions. I've been reading over
              the barbershop judging manual, and I see the potential to leverage a great
              many things learned over the years in that realm to the more contemporary
              music realm of college a cappella.

              I would love to talk with some of the people within the Society about my
              ideas, including the possibility of using some of the language in the
              manual (with appropriate credits, of course) in our own
              documentation. Face to face in Montreal might work, although I've managed
              to fill my short schedule there with lots of events. Anyone interested (Rob
              Campbell?) please email me privately.

              Don Gooding
              Mainely A CAPPELLA http://www.a-cappella.com
              don@... P.O. Box 159/11 Seal Cove Rd.
              800-827-2936 Southwest Harbor, ME 04679
              207-244-7603 (overseas calls) 207-244-7613 (fax)
              WEB STORE: http://mac3.a-cappella.com/shop
              Now with more than 20,000 sound files!
              1800+ CDs ... 1,000+ arrangements...
              plus hundreds of videos, accessories,
              and instructional products
            • Don Gooding
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 17, 2003
                At 04:46 PM 6/16/2003 -0700, Shelley Herman wrote:
                >I suggest that you also read the SAI and HI judging books

                Good idea... but I can't find anything at the SAI or HI site to download.

                Anyone out there have suggestions? And can I suggest to SAI and
                HI that these documents are good to have available online...

                >Shelley A. Herman
                >Whittier Chapter
                >saherman@...

                Don Gooding
                Mainely A CAPPELLA http://www.a-cappella.com
                don@... P.O. Box 159/11 Seal Cove Rd.
                800-827-2936 Southwest Harbor, ME 04679
                207-244-7603 (overseas calls) 207-244-7613 (fax)
                WEB STORE: http://mac3.a-cappella.com/shop
                Now with more than 20,000 sound files!
                1800+ CDs ... 1,000+ arrangements...
                plus hundreds of videos, accessories,
                and instructional products
              • Phillip Fitzpatrick
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 9 8:06 AM
                  Has anyone heard anything on Rob's status? I haven't heard anything for about a week and there are many in my chapter that would like to know.

                  My prayers are continuing....

                  Phil Fitzpatrick
                  President, Fremont Pathfinders Chapter
                  Fremont, NE
                • ghgbass
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 4, 2003
                    Hello dear friends. This morning at 11:14 God called Rob home.
                    Rob's pastor Eric Derks had just said a prayer with Rob, and Rob's
                    nurse Mike happened over just at that moment to check up on him.
                    The two of them, Mom, Sue, Geda (my wife) and I were all here with
                    Rob and held his hand as he left us. That was a blessing. Lots of
                    family and friends have been by to pay respects. It is a sad day,
                    but we have so much to rejoice about. Rob's beautiful voice was
                    matched by his beautiful spirit. He was a wonderful son, brother,
                    husband, dad, grandson, uncle, and friend. Most importantly we
                    rejoice because Rob has now seen the face of Jesus, and he is
                    cradled in God's arms. He can sing again and walk again. And he
                    and our dad are back together again. I'll bet they've been singing
                    all morning. There are no words to express the depth of
                    appreciation we feel for all of you, our friends, who have prayed
                    and sent messages of support these past few months. This is a
                    difficult time, but you have eased our burden more than you'll ever
                    know. I will soon write back with funeral details. I know that Sue
                    would like donations sent to Ryan's trust fund in lieu of flowers.
                    The Gas House Gang web site (www.gashousegang.com) will have updates
                    and trust fund information.

                    Thank you all and God bless...

                    Jim Henry

                    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor
                    principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
                    nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to
                    separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
                    Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)
                  • Mike Borts - Dallas Knights
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 4, 2003
                      Great man dies so young
                      Soul, legend live forever
                      Barbershop world mourns

                      Peace & Harmony,

                      Beatnik Mike
                    • Joe De Felice
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 4, 2003
                        Jim and friends...
                        Too much.... the dreaded message.
                        What a wonderful MAN and FAMILY.
                        We have lost one of our very best.

                        Rest in Peace and Eternal Harmony Rob Henry, gone too soon.
                        And to all of you who remain with us, Eternal remembrance and
                        Peace in the knowledge that Rob is with his Lord and Saviour,
                        who will find a way to comfort you in these moments and the years
                        that will follow. The LOVE remains and the sweeter the sounds
                        and sights we are so fortunate to have to remember him by.
                        No song ever moved me more than...
                        "I still can't say Goodbye"..... and how could we ever.

                        Peace, Love and Harmony to all.
                        Joe De Felice

                        At 9/4/2003 06:58 PM +0000, ghgbass wrote:
                        >Hello dear friends. This morning at 11:14 God called Rob home.
                        >Rob's pastor Eric Derks had just said a prayer with Rob, and Rob's
                        >nurse Mike happened over just at that moment to check up on him.
                        >The two of them, Mom, Sue, Geda (my wife) and I were all here with
                        >Rob and held his hand as he left us. That was a blessing. Lots of
                        >family and friends have been by to pay respects. It is a sad day,
                        >but we have so much to rejoice about. Rob's beautiful voice was
                        >matched by his beautiful spirit. He was a wonderful son, brother,
                        >husband, dad, grandson, uncle, and friend. Most importantly we
                        >rejoice because Rob has now seen the face of Jesus, and he is
                        >cradled in God's arms. He can sing again and walk again. And he
                        >and our dad are back together again. I'll bet they've been singing
                        >all morning. There are no words to express the depth of
                        >appreciation we feel for all of you, our friends, who have prayed
                        >and sent messages of support these past few months. This is a
                        >difficult time, but you have eased our burden more than you'll ever
                        >know. I will soon write back with funeral details. I know that Sue
                        >would like donations sent to Ryan's trust fund in lieu of flowers.
                        >The Gas House Gang web site (www.gashousegang.com) will have updates
                        >and trust fund information.
                        >
                        >Thank you all and God bless...
                        >
                        >Jim Henry
                        >
                        >"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor
                        >principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
                        >nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to
                        >separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
                        >Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)

                      • dcollier9
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                          I am normally a lurker on the harmonet, and don't very often find
                          myself compelled to send a message. Tonight, however is the
                          exception. I'm not anybody "famous" in the barbershop world, I am an
                          average Sweet Adeline who is passionate and quite often consumed by
                          this wonderful hobby.

                          I only had the chance to see the Gas House Gang once in my life - at
                          the Sweet Adeline International Convention in Indianapolis in 1993,
                          but they left an impression that lives in my heart still today.

                          They were fairly new champions and pretty much my first exposure to
                          the international calibre of men's quartetting. It was a wonderful
                          show. Then they sang "I Still Can't Say Goodbye". My first thought
                          was (as a baritone) - how cool - the baritone is singing the solo.
                          Then, as the message unfolded, I was so enraptured by the obvious
                          love felt by Rob & Jim for their father. My own beloved dad had just
                          passed away a few months before and I was totally overwhelmed by
                          emotion. I was sure they could hear me sobbing and blubbering all
                          the way up on the stage. I had never before, nor have I since,
                          experienced such an all-consuming response to music. To this day - I
                          can't hear that song without thinking of that night - or of my dad.

                          After the show - the GHG graciously sang in the lobby until I'm sure
                          they wanted to drop. They sang a few tunes with others who wanted to
                          sing with them, I'm sure they sang everything they knew (twice!).
                          They also were gracious enough to have their picture taken with my
                          quartet at the time (all of us were short and they made jokes about
                          finding a quartet their size!). I learned that night what the true
                          meaning of "champion" was.

                          To Rob's wife and son, to Jim & your family, to all of your families
                          and friends, you are in my prayers tonight. I know the pain of your
                          loss and I know that words are not enough to console you. Be glad
                          that Rob had the ability and the opportunity to touch so many lives,
                          and rejoice in the fact that he's in the arms of the Lord and safe
                          from our worldly troubles. He is with all those who loved him and
                          went before, and he'll be there to meet us when it is our time to go.

                          We lose members of our hobby all too often, but it's comforting to
                          know that many lives have been touched by each one of them. The
                          message of music and love can only make this world a better place,
                          and I'm grateful that I have an abundance of both in my life.

                          In peace, love & harmony,
                          Elvera Collier
                          Baritone, Westcoast Harmony Chorus, Contestant #5 in Phoenix
                          Baritone, West 49th Quartet, 2003 Region 26 Silver Medalists
                          Wife to Donn, Mom to Gus-Gus the fur-child
                          elveraharmony @ shaw.ca
                        • mpkunz
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                            Elvera:

                            I'm a baritone with the Ambassadors of Harmony, the home chorus of
                            the Gas House Gang, and I had the great pleasure of often hearing the
                            Gas House Gang "live". In fact, Rob was often the leader in our
                            baritone sectional rehearsals.

                            We toasted him a few times last night after rehearsal...yeah, we
                            still had rehearsal with the chorus, although, of course, Jim Henry
                            understandably did not direct or attend. Our assistant director David
                            Wright, the noted arranger, directed for us, and we rehearsed a few
                            of the songs we'll be singing at Rob's funeral.

                            I think you hit the nail on the head about Rob and the rest of his
                            quartet. They are so entertaining as performers and gracious as
                            guests. (Wow, I'm still talking about Rob in the present tense. Gulp.)

                            The song you mention, "Just Can't Say Goodbye" has a similar effect
                            on me. Our chorus was singing on a live radio show in St. Louis a few
                            years ago, and the Gas House Gang was doing a set of songs as well.
                            Rob was doing his solo on "Just Can't Say Goodbye" in front of a live
                            amphitheatre audience, and since the chorus was up front on the
                            risers, we could see the audience members' faces. Of course, many of
                            them were crying, and I especially watched Rob's mom and stepdad in
                            the audience while he sang. They were beaming, and his stepdad was
                            crying at the same time. I could barely hold in my emotions, and I
                            ended up making a loud, unintentional "choking up" sound (which can
                            actually be heard on the recording of the show, to my
                            chagrin).

                            Anyway, I want to thank you for your eloquent reminiscence of your
                            exposure to Rob and the GHG. They have been one of the quartets that
                            reminds me why we do this music. It's not just for ourselves, but for
                            whichever audience we can move with our music. When I say we, I'm
                            including all barbershoppers who sing for an audience.

                            I'm glad to be a part of this hobby with you.

                            Peace,

                            Michael Kunz
                            Back-row baritone
                            Ambassadors of Harmony

                          • mpkunz
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                              --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "mpkunz" <mpkunz@y...> wrote:
                              > The song you mention, "Just Can't Say Goodbye" has a similar effect
                              > on me. Our chorus was singing on a live radio show in St. Louis a
                              few

                              Sorry...had the song title wrong. "I Still Can't Say Goodbye."

                              Maybe it's fitting.

                              I don't think I said good-bye to Rob.

                              Instead, it's "See you later."

                              We will.

                              mk
                            • ohlaurieob
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                                wrote:
                                > Then they sang "I Still Can't Say Goodbye". My first thought
                                > was (as a baritone) - how cool - the baritone is singing the
                                solo.
                                > Then, as the message unfolded, I was so enraptured by the obvious
                                > love felt by Rob & Jim for their father. My own beloved dad had
                                just
                                > passed away a few months before and I was totally overwhelmed by
                                > emotion. I was sure they could hear me sobbing and blubbering all
                                > the way up on the stage. I had never before, nor have I since,
                                > experienced such an all-consuming response to music. To this day -
                                > can't hear that song without thinking of that night - or of my dad.

                                I think many many people have been touched by that song. A few
                                years ago Pacific Sound was fortunate enough to host both Gas House
                                Gang and Weekend Edition on the same show. My sister-in-law, who is
                                not a barbershopper or even a barbershop junkie, was in the
                                audience. She had lost her father about 3 years before. She told
                                me later that she was completely taken during that song. She said
                                it was one of the most powerful things she had ever heard.

                                What is especially poignant is that Ryan will have that song, and
                                the rest of the GHG recordings, as a remembrance of his father.
                                What a great gift for Rob to leave for us all.

                                Laurie O'Brien
                                Pacific Sound Chorus (SAI)
                              • lloyd@flash.net
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                                  What an enormous loss to all of us. It has been such a blessing and
                                  comfort to read the messages that Jim and others have shared with us
                                  through the Harmonet and on the GHG website.

                                  Thank you to all of GHG for tuning your God-given talents to such a high
                                  level through the years to give us such pleasure, and providing unmatchable
                                  recordings which we can all enjoy for years to come.

                                  Some of you may not know that the tune we call "Taps" has lyrics (under the
                                  title "Day is Done"). Perhaps these words will bring comfort to some of you.

                                  Day is done
                                  Gone the sun
                                  From the lake, from the hills, from the sky
                                  All is well
                                  Safely rest
                                  God is nigh

                                  Fading light
                                  Dims the sight
                                  And a star gems the sky gleaming bright
                                  From afar
                                  Drawing nigh
                                  Falls the night

                                  Then good night
                                  Peaceful night
                                  Till the light of the dawn shineth bright
                                  God is near
                                  Do not fear
                                  Friend, goodnight

                                  Goodnight Rob...

                                  Lloyd Erickson - Houston Tidelanders, Innsiders