Re: [bbshop] Rob Henry

  • Chris Kirkman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 2, 2003
      This wonderful man (along with the rest of GHG) has brought SO many laughs and good feelings over the last decade... if you feel at ALL inclined to write to him, do it from your heart.

      I recall how gracious and giving our BBS family was with my dad, Joe DeRosa... and also now my daughter, Christal. You can't IMAGINE how uplifting it is to read your thoughts, stories, and prayers... walking into the hospital room with a stack an inch high of messages daily from people! Rob won't believe how he has touched people.

      Much love and prayer to this wonderfully giving family!
      Chris Kirkman
      Christal's Mom http://christalinfo.servemp3.com
      Lead Crystal Clear www.crystalclearquartet.com

      ghgtenor <ramsfan@...> wrote:
      Dear friends. This is a difficult letter for me to write. My brother
      Rob has been through a lot of health-related struggles in recent
      weeks. He was treated for a serious blood clot in his leg and has
      been suffering chronic back pain and a persistant cough. He spent
      this past weekend in the hospital where he was administered lung and
      bone scans, an MRI, and today endoscopy. The news from those tests
      is not what we had hoped for. Rob has esophageal cancer. They found
      malignant tumors in his esophagus where it meets the stomach which
      are an outgrowth of years of acid reflux problems. They have also
      found potential tumors in his liver, lungs and vertabrae.
      We'll know for sure about those on Tuesday. They can't do surgery,
      but they will be administering radiation and chemotherapy
      treatments. Rob is in a lot of pain right now, in large part
      because, on top of everything else, he has a cracked vertebra. The
      radiation is supposedly going to help alleviate some of that pain.
      The prognosis is not very hopeful, and of course we are
      upset and concerned. But we believe strongly in the power of prayer
      and know that miracles DO happen. Ultimately, everything is in the
      Lord's hands, and we our putting our entire faith and trust in Him.
      We ask that you, our dear barbershop friends, will join us in
      praying for Rob and keeping him in your thoughts.

      Rob is now in room 546 of St. Joseph Health Center (300 First
      Capitol Drive, St. Charles, MO 63301), and will be there at least
      through Tuesday. He really appreciates company, but would prefer not
      to receive phone calls(usually the phone rings just as he is falling
      asleep). Cards, letters and e-mails would also be very welcome. You
      can send them to me (1217 Mt.Olympus Drive, St. Peters, MO 63376,
      jim@...), and I'll deliver them to him.

      Rob's wife Sue, son Ryan and the rest of our family feel very
      blessed to have the support and love of so many friends. Please let
      Rob know you're thinking about him. I know it would mean the world
      to him.

      With love and thanks...

      Jim Henry
      The Gas House Gang

    • andrewbytes
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 2, 2003
        Rob,
        Please get better soon... Tony and Mike may have been stretching your
        shoes out, but only you can fill them.
        -From The Whole Borts Family
        (unless Bro want's to chime in with his own comments ...)
      • Beatnik Mike, man - Dallas Knights, man
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 3, 2003
          Golden bari voice,
          We are ALL pulling for you,
          HANG IN THERE, BROTHER!

          Peace, Harmony and Projecting Positive Thoughts & Prayers,

          Beatnik Mike
        • David
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 11, 2003
            Does anybody out there have any word on How Rob Henry from GHG is
            doing? David G. From Wichita
          • Diane M. Garcia
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 11, 2003
              You can keep up on Rob's condition at:
              http://www.gashousegang.com/robhenry.php

              -Diane

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 16, 2003
                With new blood at our college a cappella competition (not to be confused
                with the MBNA College barbershop event) we are considering a major overhaul
                in the way we judge college a cappella competitions. I've been reading over
                the barbershop judging manual, and I see the potential to leverage a great
                many things learned over the years in that realm to the more contemporary
                music realm of college a cappella.

                I would love to talk with some of the people within the Society about my
                ideas, including the possibility of using some of the language in the
                manual (with appropriate credits, of course) in our own
                documentation. Face to face in Montreal might work, although I've managed
                to fill my short schedule there with lots of events. Anyone interested (Rob
                Campbell?) please email me privately.

                Don Gooding
                Mainely A CAPPELLA http://www.a-cappella.com
                don@... P.O. Box 159/11 Seal Cove Rd.
                800-827-2936 Southwest Harbor, ME 04679
                207-244-7603 (overseas calls) 207-244-7613 (fax)
                WEB STORE: http://mac3.a-cappella.com/shop
                Now with more than 20,000 sound files!
                1800+ CDs ... 1,000+ arrangements...
                plus hundreds of videos, accessories,
                and instructional products
              • Don Gooding
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 17, 2003
                  At 04:46 PM 6/16/2003 -0700, Shelley Herman wrote:
                  >I suggest that you also read the SAI and HI judging books

                  Good idea... but I can't find anything at the SAI or HI site to download.

                  Anyone out there have suggestions? And can I suggest to SAI and
                  HI that these documents are good to have available online...

                  >Shelley A. Herman
                  >Whittier Chapter
                  >saherman@...

                  Don Gooding
                  Mainely A CAPPELLA http://www.a-cappella.com
                  don@... P.O. Box 159/11 Seal Cove Rd.
                  800-827-2936 Southwest Harbor, ME 04679
                  207-244-7603 (overseas calls) 207-244-7613 (fax)
                  WEB STORE: http://mac3.a-cappella.com/shop
                  Now with more than 20,000 sound files!
                  1800+ CDs ... 1,000+ arrangements...
                  plus hundreds of videos, accessories,
                  and instructional products
                • Phillip Fitzpatrick
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 9, 2003
                    Has anyone heard anything on Rob's status? I haven't heard anything for about a week and there are many in my chapter that would like to know.

                    My prayers are continuing....

                    Phil Fitzpatrick
                    President, Fremont Pathfinders Chapter
                    Fremont, NE
                  • ghgbass
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 4, 2003
                      Hello dear friends. This morning at 11:14 God called Rob home.
                      Rob's pastor Eric Derks had just said a prayer with Rob, and Rob's
                      nurse Mike happened over just at that moment to check up on him.
                      The two of them, Mom, Sue, Geda (my wife) and I were all here with
                      Rob and held his hand as he left us. That was a blessing. Lots of
                      family and friends have been by to pay respects. It is a sad day,
                      but we have so much to rejoice about. Rob's beautiful voice was
                      matched by his beautiful spirit. He was a wonderful son, brother,
                      husband, dad, grandson, uncle, and friend. Most importantly we
                      rejoice because Rob has now seen the face of Jesus, and he is
                      cradled in God's arms. He can sing again and walk again. And he
                      and our dad are back together again. I'll bet they've been singing
                      all morning. There are no words to express the depth of
                      appreciation we feel for all of you, our friends, who have prayed
                      and sent messages of support these past few months. This is a
                      difficult time, but you have eased our burden more than you'll ever
                      know. I will soon write back with funeral details. I know that Sue
                      would like donations sent to Ryan's trust fund in lieu of flowers.
                      The Gas House Gang web site (www.gashousegang.com) will have updates
                      and trust fund information.

                      Thank you all and God bless...

                      Jim Henry

                      "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor
                      principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
                      nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to
                      separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
                      Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)
                    • Mike Borts - Dallas Knights
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 4, 2003
                        Great man dies so young
                        Soul, legend live forever
                        Barbershop world mourns

                        Peace & Harmony,

                        Beatnik Mike
                      • Joe De Felice
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 4, 2003
                          Jim and friends...
                          Too much.... the dreaded message.
                          What a wonderful MAN and FAMILY.
                          We have lost one of our very best.

                          Rest in Peace and Eternal Harmony Rob Henry, gone too soon.
                          And to all of you who remain with us, Eternal remembrance and
                          Peace in the knowledge that Rob is with his Lord and Saviour,
                          who will find a way to comfort you in these moments and the years
                          that will follow. The LOVE remains and the sweeter the sounds
                          and sights we are so fortunate to have to remember him by.
                          No song ever moved me more than...
                          "I still can't say Goodbye"..... and how could we ever.

                          Peace, Love and Harmony to all.
                          Joe De Felice

                          At 9/4/2003 06:58 PM +0000, ghgbass wrote:
                          >Hello dear friends. This morning at 11:14 God called Rob home.
                          >Rob's pastor Eric Derks had just said a prayer with Rob, and Rob's
                          >nurse Mike happened over just at that moment to check up on him.
                          >The two of them, Mom, Sue, Geda (my wife) and I were all here with
                          >Rob and held his hand as he left us. That was a blessing. Lots of
                          >family and friends have been by to pay respects. It is a sad day,
                          >but we have so much to rejoice about. Rob's beautiful voice was
                          >matched by his beautiful spirit. He was a wonderful son, brother,
                          >husband, dad, grandson, uncle, and friend. Most importantly we
                          >rejoice because Rob has now seen the face of Jesus, and he is
                          >cradled in God's arms. He can sing again and walk again. And he
                          >and our dad are back together again. I'll bet they've been singing
                          >all morning. There are no words to express the depth of
                          >appreciation we feel for all of you, our friends, who have prayed
                          >and sent messages of support these past few months. This is a
                          >difficult time, but you have eased our burden more than you'll ever
                          >know. I will soon write back with funeral details. I know that Sue
                          >would like donations sent to Ryan's trust fund in lieu of flowers.
                          >The Gas House Gang web site (www.gashousegang.com) will have updates
                          >and trust fund information.
                          >
                          >Thank you all and God bless...
                          >
                          >Jim Henry
                          >
                          >"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor
                          >principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
                          >nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to
                          >separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
                          >Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)

                        • dcollier9
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                            I am normally a lurker on the harmonet, and don't very often find
                            myself compelled to send a message. Tonight, however is the
                            exception. I'm not anybody "famous" in the barbershop world, I am an
                            average Sweet Adeline who is passionate and quite often consumed by
                            this wonderful hobby.

                            I only had the chance to see the Gas House Gang once in my life - at
                            the Sweet Adeline International Convention in Indianapolis in 1993,
                            but they left an impression that lives in my heart still today.

                            They were fairly new champions and pretty much my first exposure to
                            the international calibre of men's quartetting. It was a wonderful
                            show. Then they sang "I Still Can't Say Goodbye". My first thought
                            was (as a baritone) - how cool - the baritone is singing the solo.
                            Then, as the message unfolded, I was so enraptured by the obvious
                            love felt by Rob & Jim for their father. My own beloved dad had just
                            passed away a few months before and I was totally overwhelmed by
                            emotion. I was sure they could hear me sobbing and blubbering all
                            the way up on the stage. I had never before, nor have I since,
                            experienced such an all-consuming response to music. To this day - I
                            can't hear that song without thinking of that night - or of my dad.

                            After the show - the GHG graciously sang in the lobby until I'm sure
                            they wanted to drop. They sang a few tunes with others who wanted to
                            sing with them, I'm sure they sang everything they knew (twice!).
                            They also were gracious enough to have their picture taken with my
                            quartet at the time (all of us were short and they made jokes about
                            finding a quartet their size!). I learned that night what the true
                            meaning of "champion" was.

                            To Rob's wife and son, to Jim & your family, to all of your families
                            and friends, you are in my prayers tonight. I know the pain of your
                            loss and I know that words are not enough to console you. Be glad
                            that Rob had the ability and the opportunity to touch so many lives,
                            and rejoice in the fact that he's in the arms of the Lord and safe
                            from our worldly troubles. He is with all those who loved him and
                            went before, and he'll be there to meet us when it is our time to go.

                            We lose members of our hobby all too often, but it's comforting to
                            know that many lives have been touched by each one of them. The
                            message of music and love can only make this world a better place,
                            and I'm grateful that I have an abundance of both in my life.

                            In peace, love & harmony,
                            Elvera Collier
                            Baritone, Westcoast Harmony Chorus, Contestant #5 in Phoenix
                            Baritone, West 49th Quartet, 2003 Region 26 Silver Medalists
                            Wife to Donn, Mom to Gus-Gus the fur-child
                            elveraharmony @ shaw.ca
                          • mpkunz
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                              Elvera:

                              I'm a baritone with the Ambassadors of Harmony, the home chorus of
                              the Gas House Gang, and I had the great pleasure of often hearing the
                              Gas House Gang "live". In fact, Rob was often the leader in our
                              baritone sectional rehearsals.

                              We toasted him a few times last night after rehearsal...yeah, we
                              still had rehearsal with the chorus, although, of course, Jim Henry
                              understandably did not direct or attend. Our assistant director David
                              Wright, the noted arranger, directed for us, and we rehearsed a few
                              of the songs we'll be singing at Rob's funeral.

                              I think you hit the nail on the head about Rob and the rest of his
                              quartet. They are so entertaining as performers and gracious as
                              guests. (Wow, I'm still talking about Rob in the present tense. Gulp.)

                              The song you mention, "Just Can't Say Goodbye" has a similar effect
                              on me. Our chorus was singing on a live radio show in St. Louis a few
                              years ago, and the Gas House Gang was doing a set of songs as well.
                              Rob was doing his solo on "Just Can't Say Goodbye" in front of a live
                              amphitheatre audience, and since the chorus was up front on the
                              risers, we could see the audience members' faces. Of course, many of
                              them were crying, and I especially watched Rob's mom and stepdad in
                              the audience while he sang. They were beaming, and his stepdad was
                              crying at the same time. I could barely hold in my emotions, and I
                              ended up making a loud, unintentional "choking up" sound (which can
                              actually be heard on the recording of the show, to my
                              chagrin).

                              Anyway, I want to thank you for your eloquent reminiscence of your
                              exposure to Rob and the GHG. They have been one of the quartets that
                              reminds me why we do this music. It's not just for ourselves, but for
                              whichever audience we can move with our music. When I say we, I'm
                              including all barbershoppers who sing for an audience.

                              I'm glad to be a part of this hobby with you.

                              Peace,

                              Michael Kunz
                              Back-row baritone
                              Ambassadors of Harmony

                            • mpkunz
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                                --- In bbshop@yahoogroups.com, "mpkunz" <mpkunz@y...> wrote:
                                > The song you mention, "Just Can't Say Goodbye" has a similar effect
                                > on me. Our chorus was singing on a live radio show in St. Louis a
                                few

                                Sorry...had the song title wrong. "I Still Can't Say Goodbye."

                                Maybe it's fitting.

                                I don't think I said good-bye to Rob.

                                Instead, it's "See you later."

                                We will.

                                mk
                              • ohlaurieob
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                                  wrote:
                                  > Then they sang "I Still Can't Say Goodbye". My first thought
                                  > was (as a baritone) - how cool - the baritone is singing the
                                  solo.
                                  > Then, as the message unfolded, I was so enraptured by the obvious
                                  > love felt by Rob & Jim for their father. My own beloved dad had
                                  just
                                  > passed away a few months before and I was totally overwhelmed by
                                  > emotion. I was sure they could hear me sobbing and blubbering all
                                  > the way up on the stage. I had never before, nor have I since,
                                  > experienced such an all-consuming response to music. To this day -
                                  > can't hear that song without thinking of that night - or of my dad.

                                  I think many many people have been touched by that song. A few
                                  years ago Pacific Sound was fortunate enough to host both Gas House
                                  Gang and Weekend Edition on the same show. My sister-in-law, who is
                                  not a barbershopper or even a barbershop junkie, was in the
                                  audience. She had lost her father about 3 years before. She told
                                  me later that she was completely taken during that song. She said
                                  it was one of the most powerful things she had ever heard.

                                  What is especially poignant is that Ryan will have that song, and
                                  the rest of the GHG recordings, as a remembrance of his father.
                                  What a great gift for Rob to leave for us all.

                                  Laurie O'Brien
                                  Pacific Sound Chorus (SAI)
                                • lloyd@flash.net
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 5, 2003
                                    What an enormous loss to all of us. It has been such a blessing and
                                    comfort to read the messages that Jim and others have shared with us
                                    through the Harmonet and on the GHG website.

                                    Thank you to all of GHG for tuning your God-given talents to such a high
                                    level through the years to give us such pleasure, and providing unmatchable
                                    recordings which we can all enjoy for years to come.

                                    Some of you may not know that the tune we call "Taps" has lyrics (under the
                                    title "Day is Done"). Perhaps these words will bring comfort to some of you.

                                    Day is done
                                    Gone the sun
                                    From the lake, from the hills, from the sky
                                    All is well
                                    Safely rest
                                    God is nigh

                                    Fading light
                                    Dims the sight
                                    And a star gems the sky gleaming bright
                                    From afar
                                    Drawing nigh
                                    Falls the night

                                    Then good night
                                    Peaceful night
                                    Till the light of the dawn shineth bright
                                    God is near
                                    Do not fear
                                    Friend, goodnight

                                    Goodnight Rob...

                                    Lloyd Erickson - Houston Tidelanders, Innsiders