Re: [bbshop] SING?

  • jimstyer@home.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2000
      At 08:20 AM 12/2/00 EST, barinm@... wrote:
      >Take a chill pill and relax and enjoy the comraderie of fellow lovers of
      >music. The intent seems to be one of sharing music, not trying to water down
      >a barbershop convention.
      >Renee Walsh
      >Night Magic

      Go, girl!

      I probably won't be able to make all 3 nights of the SING portion of
      that weekend, but I want to make at least one. I have wanted to hear
      what some of the a cappella outside barbershop sounded like, but never
      really got around to it until the chance for SING came up. I have now
      listened to a few CDs. I don't care for m-pact (6-man jazz/pop). I do
      like some of what I heard from the Swingle Singers (8-member
      classical/vocal jazz) and lots of Chanticleer (12-man classical/variety).

      All those will be in Nashville. Others there will be Malaika
      (Afro-Canadian women's quartet), GLAD (5-man contemporary Christian),
      the Edlos (4-man country/pop/comedy) and House Jacks (6-man rock/pop, a
      very popular group).

      I am finding that a cappella includes a wide range, from the likes of
      Gregorian chant (which I like) to vocal percussion (some of which I
      don't like at all).

      We all have our preferences, much based on our experiences and what our
      ears are a-tuned to. And our various personal likes and dislikes likely
      will be different. But this will be a chance to broaden our musical
      experiences. And for many, it will be a chance to love barbershop even
      more. It also will be a chance, as already has been said, for others to
      hear barbershop as it really is ... and maybe, for some, to come to love
      us, too.

      I understand that the evening concerts will be supplemented by daytime
      sessions. I'd guess craft, exposition, discussion, whatall. Again, a
      great chance for all of us a cappella singers to mingle and learn from
      one another. (Yes, maybe even we can learn, too. <G>)

      It's a logical progression from our SingAmerica/SingCanada thrust that
      began six years ago (that long ago, already?!) ... our work with the
      Music Educator's National Conference (MENC) and similar school music
      professionals ... our growing mutual links with the Contemporary A
      Cappella Society of America (CASA) and similar organizations ...
      Metropolis (who won the '98 a cappella championship) and other quartets
      who have who have become highly respected within the broad a cappella
      umbrella ... and now, SING!

      And in The Music City, yet!

      This is such a fantastic mutual outreach that I'm tempted to call the
      concept BRILLIANT!

      To all the a cappella people (including barbershoppers and specifically
      SPEB) who conceived this idea and are working so hard to carry it out
      ... congratulations ... and GO FOR IT!

      Now, wanna try a vocal percussion tag? ;-)

      --jim styer, battle creek mi--
      jimstyer@...
    • Frank Leitnaker
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
        Hi 'Netters,

        The "Sing" event in Nashville prior to the 2001 Society Convention
        presents two kinds of opportunity for performing "barbershop" groups
        and unfortunately, IMHO, they are mutually exclusive.

        One kind is for the "barbershop" quartet/chorus to enlarge their
        audience appeal by singing other than solid barbershop arrangements.
        The other kind of opportunity is to enlarge the audience for good
        barbershop singing by singing good contestible arrangements.

        I'm afraid it is too much to hope that the groups will choose the
        latter especially since some groups think they can make converts to
        barbershop by singing something else, i.e., that they can have it both
        ways.

        Despite what might be thought, I am not a KIBber in the sense that I
        don't like any other kind of music nor do I think no other kind of
        music belongs on a chapter show nor do I think groups should not have
        the right to sing anything they want other than in competition.

        I just believe it defies common sense to believe that anything
        converts people to barbershop except barbershop. The two great
        strengths of barbershop are the sound and the participation.
        Barbershop can be done well by *many* people who could never make
        their living by singing. We will not increase membership a great deal
        by attracting only the exceptional singers and in the process change
        the nature of our organizations to something else.

        Performing and participation are not mutually exclusive objectives but
        they are not *necessarily* coincident.

        IMHO, it would behoove the barbershop harmony associations to offer
        prizes for the "barbershop" groups who do the most to present real
        barbershop at this occasion since doing so would be more in the
        interest of barbershopping than that of the performing group. Where
        would the prize money come from? My guess is that many barbershoppers
        would be willing to donate to the fund. Although I don't intend to be
        in Nashville at that time, I would pledge $50.

        Is this a good idea or what?

        Frank Leitnaker
      • djspebs@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
          fleit@... writes:

          << I just believe it defies common sense to believe that
          anything converts people to barbershop except barbershop.
          The two great strengths of barbershop are the sound and
          the participation. Barbershop can be done well by *many*
          people who could never make their living by singing.
          We will not increase membership a great deal by attracting
          only the exceptional singers and in the process change
          the nature of our organizations to something else. >>
          -----snip-----

          (See the "quote" below in my formal signature.)

          What an astute observation! You simply cannot lure
          outsiders (?) into BBShop by singing Jazz/DooWop.
          The great majority of our membership can adequately
          perform good BBShop music -- but damned few of them
          sound very good doing anything else. And the ones
          who do show little interest in recruiting "average"
          (read: Joe Barbershopper) singers. Getting singers
          into *most* SPEBS chapters by playing CDs of some
          of our Past Champions and telling them, "You can
          do this!" is "bait and switch" advertising at best.

          I did want to tell you that you're very mistaken in
          your self analysis in the following excerpt taken from
          an earlier part of this excellent post:

          ----------from an earlier paragraph----------

          << Despite what might be thought, I am not a KIBber in the
          sense that I don't like any other kind of music nor do I
          think no other kind of music belongs on a chapter show nor
          do I think groups should not have the right to sing anything
          they want other than in competition. >>

          (You have perfectly described yourself as the ideal KIBer!)

          Only a very small minority of KIBers dislike other forms
          of music. I don't know *any* personally. If a guy is
          good enough to sing BBShop (well) he sure can appreciate
          other Art forms and, probably, perform them well either
          vocally or instrumentally. He just wants BBShop music
          to be performed in contests.

          Only a very small minority would proclaim that NO other
          types of music be performed on *Shows* per se. Most of us
          think that if a Chorus or Quartet deviates from the
          Barbershop idiom, they should proudly proclaim their
          talent for such other styles and tell the audience
          it's not *strictly* BBShop so they won't be disappointed
          when they attend a local Chapter rehearsal.

          Your final thought ... "nor do I think groups should not
          have the right to sing anything they want other than in
          competition." ... is the very heart of the KIBer movement.

          We KIBers just want them to return to singing BBSHOP in
          all *competitions*, from Divisional straight through to
          International.!

          Dick Johnson
          SPEBS/EVG/Great Falls, MT
          (406)771-8186 (Regular)
          (406)761-4883 (FAX)
          CHAPTER COACH
          PIONEERS/AHSOW

          "Use what talents you have; the woods would have little music
          if no birds sang their song except those who sang best."
          --Reverend Oliver G. Wilson

          If you want good Barbershop, it can be arranged!

          http://hometown.aol.com/djspebs
        • Jack Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
            Thanks Frank for you comments! In all due respect I wouldn't encourage
            people to sing barbershop for financial prizes! Not my style I guess!

            I have taken the liberty to make sure Darryl Flinn our Society Executive
            Director knows of your comments and suggestion. Maybe a letter from our
            headquarters to each Society quartet who plans to participant in "Sing"
            encouraging them to sing good solid Barbershop may be in line. Singing
            anything but good solid Barbershop music in a venue such as this, while
            representing our Society wouldn't be the right thing to do at all, in my
            judgement! Maybe Renee has the right idea. Trust our champions to know
            what to do!
            In Harmony
            Jack Martin

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
              If I want to sing other than barbershop I'll join a master chorale or church
              choir. If I want to HEAR that type of music I attend a venue that features
              that type of music. My great love for this type of music (Barbershop) has
              thrilled me for 40years...when I go to a chapter show or meeting thats is
              what I want to hear and sing...considering where it seems this wondeful
              organization may be headed maybe a new organization entitled (maybe JUST
              PLAIN BARBERSHOP) after that first goup of songs is needed. I'd join...
            • Erik Deland
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
                Ladies and Gentlemen of the Harmonet,

                It has come to my attention that there may be some "apprehension" from some
                of my fellow barbershoppers regarding the SING! event taking place the
                weekend prior to our International convention. I think that this type of
                event would be an excellent one for showing barbershoppers the other kinds
                of a-capella that the rest of North America has to offer. Plus, if we as
                barbershoppers support the other types of a-capella harmony, then they in
                turn might support our hobby. I know that some of our champion quartets such
                as Acoustix have released Cd's that deviate from what we call barbershop,
                but they do it well. We should support what our own do, like a father would
                a son. IMHO, as long as there are people who lovew barbershop, it will never
                die. So long as we sing barbershop, it will live. Let's stop worrying and
                keep singing!!!!

                Erik Deland
                Tenor, Lead and Baritone
                Guelph Royal City Ambassadors/
                Oakville Entertainers
                Ontario District, SPEBSQSA.
                School Choir, Church Choir member.

              • I. Murray Phillips
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
                  | If I want to sing other than barbershop I'll join a master chorale or
                  | church choir.

                  | If I want to HEAR that type of music I attend a venue that features
                  | that type of music.

                  And that is what SING! is all about. Providing the venue where people who
                  want to hear good a cappella music of all kinds (or only some kinds for
                  thast matter) can go and listen.

                  Are we so insecure that we assume that given a choice between good
                  barbershop and good "something else," people will chose the "something
                  else?" If so, get over it. Some people will and some won't. Let's appeal to
                  those that we can introduce to our style that will like it, and maybe want
                  to sing it themselves. That is where our growth and next generations of
                  singers will come from.

                  Whining about the opportunity to hear other forms of a cappella within a
                  year of our convention sounds to me like complaining about recounting
                  ballots... oh yeah. People are doing that, too!

                  Murray Phillips <mailto:imphillips@... >
                  His opinion.
                  If anyone else agrees so much the better.
                • Jack Martin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
                    A couple years ago, my chorus the Winter Park, Sunshine Jubilee
                    participated in a music clinic held at Disney World down here in Orlando.
                    There were several groups that performed. Chanticleer, The U S Army Chorus,
                    Sunshine Jubilee, A Gospel Group and if memory serves me, a High School Glee
                    Club Group! Chanticleer did there thing, which was quite impressive,. The
                    Army Chorus sang several J P S Marches, which made every one want to
                    assemble on the drill field, The Sunshine Jubilee sang a several Barbershop
                    songs and some more modern pieces, (trying to impress the Chanticleer fans)
                    the Gospel group did their thing by singing gospel music and the High School
                    gang did their thing.
                    Oddly enough, the only group that produced a Barbershop Quartet was the
                    Army Chorus! And I must say they did a pretty good job, maybe even good
                    enough to make the cut at district contest! 8^)
                    The directors of Chanticleer and the Army Chorus produced the clinic and
                    demonstrated with their singers various ways of singing, involving
                    inflections, color, vowel sounds and several other techniques. It was a
                    very good learning experience for everyone participating to include a large
                    audience of young school age folks that were involved in music in their
                    respective schools. Also many musical educators were in attendance.
                    It was kind of a dukes mixture of musical minded singers who all had their
                    own agenda about what musical path they were going to follow. Ironically,
                    there didn't seem to be any one, of any group, that was influenced to alter
                    there musical direction, or change over to a different style. There seemed
                    to be a healthy appreciation among everyone that said, "Hey your music style
                    is nice, but I like mine better!"
                    This experience makes me believe that "Sing" will be a great success in
                    sharing ones musical styles and will result in escalating Barbershop to the
                    same level that some of the other groups enjoy. Most Barbershoppers have
                    heard about the other A Cappella groups such as Glad, Swingle Singers,
                    Chanticleer, etc. and many of our `more liberal Barbershoppers have either
                    seen or heard them perform. How many of the A Cappella followers have seen
                    or heard the GHG, or Showtime? I'd say not very many! And surely not many
                    have had the opportunity to enjoy the Big Chicken Chorus, who ya know is
                    gonna be great for Barbershop and the one and only "Riptide", one of the
                    great "lock and ring groups" of our Society.

                    It has taken a lot of the recent dialog on the Harmonet and "Gooding
                    influence" to convince me that "Sing" is a good thing. As most of you know,
                    I am firmly lodged in the Kibber camp, but this is not a contest! It's
                    singing exhibition of different styles of A Cappella music. No more! No
                    less! It's not to select the best performer, hell the performers are all
                    Champions in what they do. Let's enjoy this Adventure in Music. BTW can
                    any one float me a loan of $90.00 bucks! Make that $180.00 as my wife will
                    never let me go without her. Ain't that just like a SA baritone?

                    In Harmony
                    Jack Martin