Re: What hooked you

  • Paul Tunks
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      What hooked me was the first night as a guest to a Kitchener Waterloo Twin
      City Harmonizer chorus meeting. 10 years later I am still hooked. I am in
      my upper 40's and with work and familly I am still limited to nibbling and
      not as dedicated as I would like. My wife reminds me there will be a time I
      will have more time to devote to this great hobby.

      There were many events that lead up to letting myself be hooked. In grade
      school a teacher told me a piece a liked was close harmony, Barbershop
      style. In high school I was in a community band that shared a practice room
      with a Barbershop Chapeter (saw their signs, but never met them). In my mid
      thirties a fellow church choir member sold me tickets to the KW Chapter show
      with a quartet called the Mellow Men. About the same time while travlling
      in California in the spring of 1991 I had a chance meeting in a restaurant
      where one of the top ten finalists informally sang a couple numbers. I
      could resist no longer, accepted my friends invitation to be a guest and
      never stopped comming out.

      What has kept me is the fellowship, experiencing the joy of harmony as a
      chorus member, great entertainment such as Acoustix, Bob's Your Uncle and
      many local quartets that still give me a thrill to listen to.

      Thanks

      Paul