SING! 'n' wonder

  • Thomas L Pearce
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2000
      Dear Harmonetters,

      Thanks, again, to those who responded to my inquiries about an apparent
      association between the Society and SING!

      I was hoping to read, and did read in some (too few) places, that one
      reason for any such association is TO RECRUIT FOR BARBERSHOP. This seems to
      me the only valid reason for the Society associating with other music
      groups, perhaps especially in these days of urgent alarms from Kenosha of
      decreasing membership. A second, perhaps valid, reason might be to build
      Society coffers.

      I was hoping any association of the Society with SING! or any other music
      organization would not be related to further expansion of the notorious
      (musical-style) umbrella. Most replies I received addressed this issue,
      uniformly in praise of our Nashville association with SING! as a fine way
      to expand the umbrella.

      I certainly hope this Society-SING! coupling set for Nashville neither
      costs the Society money nor diverts any attention from barbershop.

      More questions:

      - Does anyone know if this Nashville setup will cost the Society any funds?
      - Is the Society-SING! coupling permanent, or just for Nashville?
      - If the 2001 coupling is an experiment, how will we judge its success for
      the Society?

      Thanks again,
      Tom Pearce
      Charlottesville, Virginia
    • Don Gooding
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2000
        At 04:20 PM 12/2/00 -0500, Thomas L Pearce wrote:

        >I was hoping to read, and did read in some (too few) places, that one
        >reason for any such association is TO RECRUIT FOR BARBERSHOP. This seems to
        >me the only valid reason for the Society associating with other music
        >groups, perhaps especially in these days of urgent alarms from Kenosha of
        >decreasing membership. A second, perhaps valid, reason might be to build
        >Society coffers.

        Not that I expect to convince you... but I believe there is a subtle,
        important PR value to this event which should help over time to recruit new
        barbershoppers. This event says that "the best barbershoppers can sing toe
        to toe with the best a cappella singers of any other style." It also says
        "barbershoppers are not an insular inbred society." Both are positive
        messages to potential new recruits, although the latter would be "spin" in
        describing all of the society members.

        Both of these messages are to be delivered in a city that is home to much
        of the music industry. We can only hope that the event can attract enough
        jaded music industry types to show them what can be accomplished with sheer
        vocal talent, and change the general perception of a cappella music and
        barbershop in particular.

        I certainly appreciate this bold effort by the Society. As a music
        entrepreneur I am accustomed to taking risks, and I think it's admirable
        for the Society to try something new, different and open. That's the only
        way progress is made! There will no doubt be many armchair critics who
        would prefer things to stay the same as they used to be. Just depends on
        whether you think of the metaphor for preservation as formaldehyde or a
        national park.

        For our part, we are actively promoting Sing! in the Mainely A Cappella
        catalog. And I'm personally excited about hearing the concerts - I have
        never heard live GLAD, or The Swingle Singers, or Chanticleer, or Malaika,
        or Showtime, or For Heaven's Sake... it's gonna be a great weekend!

        Don Gooding
        Mainely A CAPPELLA http://www.a-cappella.com
        don@... P.O. Box 159/19 Clark Point Rd. #3
        800-827-2936 Southwest Harbor, ME 04679
        207-244-7603 (overseas calls) 207-244-7613 (fax)
        WEB STORE: http://mac3.a-cappella.com
        Now with more than 10,000 sound files!
      • WmThornton@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2000
          Date: 3Decd00; 16:55
          To: Don Gooding, etal
          From: Wm Thornton

          Don -

          Your message is true to the target. We stand to further the art of barbershop
          quartet singing by continued exposure of our best quartets and choruses to the
          rest of the world's a'cappella community. The "SING!" program at Nashville is
          also
          a wonderful opportunity for us to once again showcase the magic of "expanded
          sound" (that phenomenon which only barbershop harmony consistently produces
          and thrills its listeners and performers alike).

          See you there!

          Regards,

          Wm Thornton
        • badsinger
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
            "Just depends on whether you think of the metaphor for preservation as
            formaldehyde or a national park."

            What a GREAT metaphor! One represents a dead thing whose preservation is
            forced and artificial while the other is a living, beautiful thing that
            celebrates and shares its heritage with all who care to enjoy it by coupling
            its natural beauty with modern enhancements to make it acceptable and
            enjoyable to a greater audience than would normally go there.

            I've been to about 25 National Parks and get much more from each experience
            by attending all the shows and displays available at the visitors centers
            and learning about what makes a geyser or volcano or a beautiful rock
            formation or...... Just putting up a fence and giving it a name is great
            for campers but not for the great majority of the rest of us.

            Ron Klaiss, Bass - Hometown Harmony, Bryn Mawr (PA) Mainliners, Wilmington
            (DE) Chorus of the Brandywine
          • ponuscasa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
              I would sure hate to hear Beethovens fifth symphony with banjos and
              acoustical guitars...

              What a shame...

              Its this kind of thinking which will someday (thank God not in my lifetime)
              destroy the thing we are trying to preserve...
            • badsinger
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2000
                You've got it backwards - forcing songs into BBs style is the banjos and
                whistles. Exposing oneself to other types of music well and appropiriately
                performed is anything but whatever picture you've tried to paint.

                RonK