SING?

  • barinm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2000
      I have been reading the "thread" with interest, specifically what appears to
      be some rancor at this event having been scheduled in some "connection" to a
      bbshop convention.
      I would like to remind you that Nashville is a big music town where lots of
      people record and come to perform. The city welcomes all kinds of music to be
      showcased, not just country. They are even allowing a barbershop convention
      to use the arena that they built to attract much larger and more commercial
      groups. In fact , when SAI was there, my quartet, Night Magic was encouraged
      to sing in the old Ryman theater (original Grand Old Opry)!!
      Take a chill pill and relax and enjoy the comraderie of fellow lovers of
      music. The intent seems to be one of sharing music, not trying to water down
      a barbershop convention.
      Renee Walsh
      Night Magic
    • jimstyer@home.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2000
        At 08:20 AM 12/2/00 EST, barinm@... wrote:
        >Take a chill pill and relax and enjoy the comraderie of fellow lovers of
        >music. The intent seems to be one of sharing music, not trying to water down
        >a barbershop convention.
        >Renee Walsh
        >Night Magic

        Go, girl!

        I probably won't be able to make all 3 nights of the SING portion of
        that weekend, but I want to make at least one. I have wanted to hear
        what some of the a cappella outside barbershop sounded like, but never
        really got around to it until the chance for SING came up. I have now
        listened to a few CDs. I don't care for m-pact (6-man jazz/pop). I do
        like some of what I heard from the Swingle Singers (8-member
        classical/vocal jazz) and lots of Chanticleer (12-man classical/variety).

        All those will be in Nashville. Others there will be Malaika
        (Afro-Canadian women's quartet), GLAD (5-man contemporary Christian),
        the Edlos (4-man country/pop/comedy) and House Jacks (6-man rock/pop, a
        very popular group).

        I am finding that a cappella includes a wide range, from the likes of
        Gregorian chant (which I like) to vocal percussion (some of which I
        don't like at all).

        We all have our preferences, much based on our experiences and what our
        ears are a-tuned to. And our various personal likes and dislikes likely
        will be different. But this will be a chance to broaden our musical
        experiences. And for many, it will be a chance to love barbershop even
        more. It also will be a chance, as already has been said, for others to
        hear barbershop as it really is ... and maybe, for some, to come to love
        us, too.

        I understand that the evening concerts will be supplemented by daytime
        sessions. I'd guess craft, exposition, discussion, whatall. Again, a
        great chance for all of us a cappella singers to mingle and learn from
        one another. (Yes, maybe even we can learn, too. <G>)

        It's a logical progression from our SingAmerica/SingCanada thrust that
        began six years ago (that long ago, already?!) ... our work with the
        Music Educator's National Conference (MENC) and similar school music
        professionals ... our growing mutual links with the Contemporary A
        Cappella Society of America (CASA) and similar organizations ...
        Metropolis (who won the '98 a cappella championship) and other quartets
        who have who have become highly respected within the broad a cappella
        umbrella ... and now, SING!

        And in The Music City, yet!

        This is such a fantastic mutual outreach that I'm tempted to call the
        concept BRILLIANT!

        To all the a cappella people (including barbershoppers and specifically
        SPEB) who conceived this idea and are working so hard to carry it out
        ... congratulations ... and GO FOR IT!

        Now, wanna try a vocal percussion tag? ;-)

        --jim styer, battle creek mi--
        jimstyer@...
      • Frank Leitnaker
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
          Hi 'Netters,

          The "Sing" event in Nashville prior to the 2001 Society Convention
          presents two kinds of opportunity for performing "barbershop" groups
          and unfortunately, IMHO, they are mutually exclusive.

          One kind is for the "barbershop" quartet/chorus to enlarge their
          audience appeal by singing other than solid barbershop arrangements.
          The other kind of opportunity is to enlarge the audience for good
          barbershop singing by singing good contestible arrangements.

          I'm afraid it is too much to hope that the groups will choose the
          latter especially since some groups think they can make converts to
          barbershop by singing something else, i.e., that they can have it both
          ways.

          Despite what might be thought, I am not a KIBber in the sense that I
          don't like any other kind of music nor do I think no other kind of
          music belongs on a chapter show nor do I think groups should not have
          the right to sing anything they want other than in competition.

          I just believe it defies common sense to believe that anything
          converts people to barbershop except barbershop. The two great
          strengths of barbershop are the sound and the participation.
          Barbershop can be done well by *many* people who could never make
          their living by singing. We will not increase membership a great deal
          by attracting only the exceptional singers and in the process change
          the nature of our organizations to something else.

          Performing and participation are not mutually exclusive objectives but
          they are not *necessarily* coincident.

          IMHO, it would behoove the barbershop harmony associations to offer
          prizes for the "barbershop" groups who do the most to present real
          barbershop at this occasion since doing so would be more in the
          interest of barbershopping than that of the performing group. Where
          would the prize money come from? My guess is that many barbershoppers
          would be willing to donate to the fund. Although I don't intend to be
          in Nashville at that time, I would pledge $50.

          Is this a good idea or what?

          Frank Leitnaker
        • djspebs@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
            fleit@... writes:

            << I just believe it defies common sense to believe that
            anything converts people to barbershop except barbershop.
            The two great strengths of barbershop are the sound and
            the participation. Barbershop can be done well by *many*
            people who could never make their living by singing.
            We will not increase membership a great deal by attracting
            only the exceptional singers and in the process change
            the nature of our organizations to something else. >>
            -----snip-----

            (See the "quote" below in my formal signature.)

            What an astute observation! You simply cannot lure
            outsiders (?) into BBShop by singing Jazz/DooWop.
            The great majority of our membership can adequately
            perform good BBShop music -- but damned few of them
            sound very good doing anything else. And the ones
            who do show little interest in recruiting "average"
            (read: Joe Barbershopper) singers. Getting singers
            into *most* SPEBS chapters by playing CDs of some
            of our Past Champions and telling them, "You can
            do this!" is "bait and switch" advertising at best.

            I did want to tell you that you're very mistaken in
            your self analysis in the following excerpt taken from
            an earlier part of this excellent post:

            ----------from an earlier paragraph----------

            << Despite what might be thought, I am not a KIBber in the
            sense that I don't like any other kind of music nor do I
            think no other kind of music belongs on a chapter show nor
            do I think groups should not have the right to sing anything
            they want other than in competition. >>

            (You have perfectly described yourself as the ideal KIBer!)

            Only a very small minority of KIBers dislike other forms
            of music. I don't know *any* personally. If a guy is
            good enough to sing BBShop (well) he sure can appreciate
            other Art forms and, probably, perform them well either
            vocally or instrumentally. He just wants BBShop music
            to be performed in contests.

            Only a very small minority would proclaim that NO other
            types of music be performed on *Shows* per se. Most of us
            think that if a Chorus or Quartet deviates from the
            Barbershop idiom, they should proudly proclaim their
            talent for such other styles and tell the audience
            it's not *strictly* BBShop so they won't be disappointed
            when they attend a local Chapter rehearsal.

            Your final thought ... "nor do I think groups should not
            have the right to sing anything they want other than in
            competition." ... is the very heart of the KIBer movement.

            We KIBers just want them to return to singing BBSHOP in
            all *competitions*, from Divisional straight through to
            International.!

            Dick Johnson
            SPEBS/EVG/Great Falls, MT
            (406)771-8186 (Regular)
            (406)761-4883 (FAX)
            CHAPTER COACH
            PIONEERS/AHSOW

            "Use what talents you have; the woods would have little music
            if no birds sang their song except those who sang best."
            --Reverend Oliver G. Wilson

            If you want good Barbershop, it can be arranged!

            http://hometown.aol.com/djspebs
          • Jack Martin
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
              Thanks Frank for you comments! In all due respect I wouldn't encourage
              people to sing barbershop for financial prizes! Not my style I guess!

              I have taken the liberty to make sure Darryl Flinn our Society Executive
              Director knows of your comments and suggestion. Maybe a letter from our
              headquarters to each Society quartet who plans to participant in "Sing"
              encouraging them to sing good solid Barbershop may be in line. Singing
              anything but good solid Barbershop music in a venue such as this, while
              representing our Society wouldn't be the right thing to do at all, in my
              judgement! Maybe Renee has the right idea. Trust our champions to know
              what to do!
              In Harmony
              Jack Martin

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
                If I want to sing other than barbershop I'll join a master chorale or church
                choir. If I want to HEAR that type of music I attend a venue that features
                that type of music. My great love for this type of music (Barbershop) has
                thrilled me for 40years...when I go to a chapter show or meeting thats is
                what I want to hear and sing...considering where it seems this wondeful
                organization may be headed maybe a new organization entitled (maybe JUST
                PLAIN BARBERSHOP) after that first goup of songs is needed. I'd join...
              • Erik Deland
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2000
                  Ladies and Gentlemen of the Harmonet,

                  It has come to my attention that there may be some "apprehension" from some
                  of my fellow barbershoppers regarding the SING! event taking place the
                  weekend prior to our International convention. I think that this type of
                  event would be an excellent one for showing barbershoppers the other kinds
                  of a-capella that the rest of North America has to offer. Plus, if we as
                  barbershoppers support the other types of a-capella harmony, then they in
                  turn might support our hobby. I know that some of our champion quartets such
                  as Acoustix have released Cd's that deviate from what we call barbershop,
                  but they do it well. We should support what our own do, like a father would
                  a son. IMHO, as long as there are people who lovew barbershop, it will never
                  die. So long as we sing barbershop, it will live. Let's stop worrying and
                  keep singing!!!!

                  Erik Deland
                  Tenor, Lead and Baritone
                  Guelph Royal City Ambassadors/
                  Oakville Entertainers
                  Ontario District, SPEBSQSA.
                  School Choir, Church Choir member.

                • I. Murray Phillips
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
                    | If I want to sing other than barbershop I'll join a master chorale or
                    | church choir.

                    | If I want to HEAR that type of music I attend a venue that features
                    | that type of music.

                    And that is what SING! is all about. Providing the venue where people who
                    want to hear good a cappella music of all kinds (or only some kinds for
                    thast matter) can go and listen.

                    Are we so insecure that we assume that given a choice between good
                    barbershop and good "something else," people will chose the "something
                    else?" If so, get over it. Some people will and some won't. Let's appeal to
                    those that we can introduce to our style that will like it, and maybe want
                    to sing it themselves. That is where our growth and next generations of
                    singers will come from.

                    Whining about the opportunity to hear other forms of a cappella within a
                    year of our convention sounds to me like complaining about recounting
                    ballots... oh yeah. People are doing that, too!

                    Murray Phillips <mailto:imphillips@... >
                    His opinion.
                    If anyone else agrees so much the better.
                  • Jack Martin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2000
                      A couple years ago, my chorus the Winter Park, Sunshine Jubilee
                      participated in a music clinic held at Disney World down here in Orlando.
                      There were several groups that performed. Chanticleer, The U S Army Chorus,
                      Sunshine Jubilee, A Gospel Group and if memory serves me, a High School Glee
                      Club Group! Chanticleer did there thing, which was quite impressive,. The
                      Army Chorus sang several J P S Marches, which made every one want to
                      assemble on the drill field, The Sunshine Jubilee sang a several Barbershop
                      songs and some more modern pieces, (trying to impress the Chanticleer fans)
                      the Gospel group did their thing by singing gospel music and the High School
                      gang did their thing.
                      Oddly enough, the only group that produced a Barbershop Quartet was the
                      Army Chorus! And I must say they did a pretty good job, maybe even good
                      enough to make the cut at district contest! 8^)
                      The directors of Chanticleer and the Army Chorus produced the clinic and
                      demonstrated with their singers various ways of singing, involving
                      inflections, color, vowel sounds and several other techniques. It was a
                      very good learning experience for everyone participating to include a large
                      audience of young school age folks that were involved in music in their
                      respective schools. Also many musical educators were in attendance.
                      It was kind of a dukes mixture of musical minded singers who all had their
                      own agenda about what musical path they were going to follow. Ironically,
                      there didn't seem to be any one, of any group, that was influenced to alter
                      there musical direction, or change over to a different style. There seemed
                      to be a healthy appreciation among everyone that said, "Hey your music style
                      is nice, but I like mine better!"
                      This experience makes me believe that "Sing" will be a great success in
                      sharing ones musical styles and will result in escalating Barbershop to the
                      same level that some of the other groups enjoy. Most Barbershoppers have
                      heard about the other A Cappella groups such as Glad, Swingle Singers,
                      Chanticleer, etc. and many of our `more liberal Barbershoppers have either
                      seen or heard them perform. How many of the A Cappella followers have seen
                      or heard the GHG, or Showtime? I'd say not very many! And surely not many
                      have had the opportunity to enjoy the Big Chicken Chorus, who ya know is
                      gonna be great for Barbershop and the one and only "Riptide", one of the
                      great "lock and ring groups" of our Society.

                      It has taken a lot of the recent dialog on the Harmonet and "Gooding
                      influence" to convince me that "Sing" is a good thing. As most of you know,
                      I am firmly lodged in the Kibber camp, but this is not a contest! It's
                      singing exhibition of different styles of A Cappella music. No more! No
                      less! It's not to select the best performer, hell the performers are all
                      Champions in what they do. Let's enjoy this Adventure in Music. BTW can
                      any one float me a loan of $90.00 bucks! Make that $180.00 as my wife will
                      never let me go without her. Ain't that just like a SA baritone?

                      In Harmony
                      Jack Martin