Re: Still wondering

  • Joe Kane
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
      Tom -

      My stalwart, tag-loving friend - sarcasm is none the less for being gentle. <G>
      Might Kevin have been kidding ... a little?

      FWIW, I haven't changed my opinion about keeping the contest stage the exclusive
      preserve of recognizable "umbrella" bbshop. Yet we live in a world of other
      vocal styles too. Many of them IMHO have something to learn from bbshop. What
      could be wrong with providing incentive for adherents of other styles to travel
      to Nashville the week of our Internationals? Recruitment works both ways <G>.

      For example, I have a young friend who reviews CDs for RARB and is a big fan of
      contemporary a cappella. Having heard college champs Millennium at the recent
      East Coast Summit - and been greatly impressed - he's borrowed a few bbshop CDs
      from me to learn more about the style. I don't expect him to drop everything
      else and become a bbshop groupie, but he now has a different and better (and more
      realistic) perspective on bbshop, which may open him up (and those he influences
      as a director) to expanding repertoires to include bbshop, or perhaps eventually
      to join the Society or SAI/HI. This interaction spreads the seeds of our hobby
      to fertile yet previously inaccessible ground.

      It's also not beyond the pale that some learning may travel in the other
      direction as well. <G> If bbshop is your favorite musical hobby, as it is mine,
      it's still interesting to hear what else is going on in the world of vocal music
      - not all of it will appeal, but some of it likely will. And I for one
      appreciate the bbshop style even more in the context of other vocal styles for
      its power and uniqueness.

      If you believe in the power of bbshop, then more open-minded interaction between
      adherents of different vocal styles will allow each to reach more singers, some
      of whom might otherwise not get past stereotypes - we will hear them, but they
      will hear us too, and bbshop is going to be a winner. Think of it as the musical
      analogue of free trade. <G>

      So brush up on your tags for Nashville, my friend - we might have a few more
      newbies than usual. ;-{)>

      Joe Kane
      State College, PA
      a leadnbari

      > [Reply to List] [Reply to Sender] [Show Header] [View Thread]
      >
      > From: Thomas L Pearce <pearce@...>
      > Date: 2000-12-01, 19:30
      > Subject: Still wondering
      > Harmonetters,
      >
      > Thanks to you who responded to my inquiry about SING! Kevin Keller, after
      > listing some possibilities, says he doesn't see any good reasons for it:
      >
      > "I dont know.
      >
      > Somebody might have thought it would be fun and figured if you didnt want
      > to hear it, you wouldnt go. Someone might have thought it would be an
      > opportunity to hear other vocal styles done by the very best while youre in
      > town. It might be a ploy to extort money from you to attend the convention
      > earlier. It might be a perverse plot to show CASA how good barbershop really
      > is. Or someone figured that there might be some people attending who have
      > never been exposed to barbershop and they could see the glory and fun of an
      > International.
      >
      > So, I guess I really dont see any good reasons for it at all."
      >
      > I guess Kevin wasn't in on the planning, either. Anyone else have any
      > ideas--especially some of the planners?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Tom Pearce
      > Charlottesville, Virginia

    • Bob Caldwell
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2000
        Here's the good news for the KIBbers, my friend TomP included, among
        you. Those amid BBS who have tendencies toward singing mostly
        outside the umbrella might find themselves a more welcome home within
        the other group. I tend to lean toward my friend, JoeK's, theory,
        that others will come away from the week with a newfound respect of
        real barbershop, for the most part, what we do in contest.

        Harmony-us-ly,
        BobCaldwell@...