Re: [bbshop] What hooked you...

  • Shelley Herman
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
      I'm surprised that I can remember anything that long ago, however:

      My high school choir teacher, Dr. Homer Hummel, was a member of the Hollywood
      (CA) chapter and he brought quartets down to our choir banquets. Later he got
      my girl friend singing in a girls quartet publicizing the annual. I went
      straight out of HS into USAF and, while stationed in the San Bernardino area,
      our base USO had the local (Colton CA) chapter over to entertain us. I joined
      the next week. I was sent to Colorado, joined the Denver chapter, and when I
      got out of the service, I couldn't find a chapter in the Los Angeles area.
      Until I was driving down the street one day and saw a car with a barbershop
      emblem on the back. I literally ran the guy over to the curb, almost causing
      an accident, and found out where the local chapter met. I hope to get my 50
      year pin in Nashville next year.

      Once, when I did not remember when I joined, I asked Kenosha to confirm the
      date. They sent me the chapter secretary's report and it showed two members
      who joined that month. I was one and the other was Gerald (Jay) Wright, bass
      of the Sidewinders, 1965 Gold Medal Quartet.

      By the way, Dr. Hummel managed to snag at least one more member, Mike Senter,
      Bass of the Golden Staters.

      Shelley A. Herman
      Whittier Chapter
      saherman@...
    • TenRrose@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
        Shelley A. Herman said in his post he had to call Kenosha to find out the
        date he joined the Society. I don't know how long they have been doing this,
        but SAI has the month and year I joined on my membership card. This date was
        transferred to the new card I received when I transferred to another chorus a
        year and a half ago.

        Peggy B2, tenor
        Region 22
        Fox Valley Chorus
      • Mary Jo Hurd
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
          I'd enjoyed the Buffalo Bills in the Music Man and the
          Perry Como show, but what hooked me was an 'accidental
          taping' of a special on our PBS station. I was trying
          to tape a Star Trek episode and missed by one channel.
          When I went to check the tape, it started with a song
          by Showtime. It took about 30 seconds to hook me.
          When I found out Showtime was 'local talent' (I live
          in the Tampa Bay area) I started looking around at
          what was available and found Gulf to Bay Chorus. The
          rest is <*ahem*> history!?!?! :)

          I'm on my fifth quartet, am a chorus officer, and I'm doing
          websites for choruses who don't have one... and singing
          every chance I can. (They have to pay me to shut up! :)
          --
          Mary Jo Hurd
          Gulf to Bay Chorus technodweeb & Secretary