Still wondering

  • Thomas L Pearce
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
      Harmonetters,

      Thanks to you who responded to my inquiry about SING! Kevin Keller, after
      listing some possibilities, says he doesn't see any good reasons for it:

      "I dont know.

      Somebody might have thought it would be fun and figured if you didnt want
      to hear it, you wouldnt go. Someone might have thought it would be an
      opportunity to hear other vocal styles done by the very best while youre in
      town. It might be a ploy to extort money from you to attend the convention
      earlier. It might be a perverse plot to show CASA how good barbershop really
      is. Or someone figured that there might be some people attending who have
      never been exposed to barbershop and they could see the glory and fun of an
      International.

      So, I guess I really dont see any good reasons for it at all."

      I guess Kevin wasn't in on the planning, either. Anyone else have any
      ideas--especially some of the planners?

      Thanks.

      Tom Pearce
      Charlottesville, Virginia
    • Joe Kane
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2000
        Tom -

        My stalwart, tag-loving friend - sarcasm is none the less for being gentle. <G>
        Might Kevin have been kidding ... a little?

        FWIW, I haven't changed my opinion about keeping the contest stage the exclusive
        preserve of recognizable "umbrella" bbshop. Yet we live in a world of other
        vocal styles too. Many of them IMHO have something to learn from bbshop. What
        could be wrong with providing incentive for adherents of other styles to travel
        to Nashville the week of our Internationals? Recruitment works both ways <G>.

        For example, I have a young friend who reviews CDs for RARB and is a big fan of
        contemporary a cappella. Having heard college champs Millennium at the recent
        East Coast Summit - and been greatly impressed - he's borrowed a few bbshop CDs
        from me to learn more about the style. I don't expect him to drop everything
        else and become a bbshop groupie, but he now has a different and better (and more
        realistic) perspective on bbshop, which may open him up (and those he influences
        as a director) to expanding repertoires to include bbshop, or perhaps eventually
        to join the Society or SAI/HI. This interaction spreads the seeds of our hobby
        to fertile yet previously inaccessible ground.

        It's also not beyond the pale that some learning may travel in the other
        direction as well. <G> If bbshop is your favorite musical hobby, as it is mine,
        it's still interesting to hear what else is going on in the world of vocal music
        - not all of it will appeal, but some of it likely will. And I for one
        appreciate the bbshop style even more in the context of other vocal styles for
        its power and uniqueness.

        If you believe in the power of bbshop, then more open-minded interaction between
        adherents of different vocal styles will allow each to reach more singers, some
        of whom might otherwise not get past stereotypes - we will hear them, but they
        will hear us too, and bbshop is going to be a winner. Think of it as the musical
        analogue of free trade. <G>

        So brush up on your tags for Nashville, my friend - we might have a few more
        newbies than usual. ;-{)>

        Joe Kane
        State College, PA
        a leadnbari

        > [Reply to List] [Reply to Sender] [Show Header] [View Thread]
        >
        > From: Thomas L Pearce <pearce@...>
        > Date: 2000-12-01, 19:30
        > Subject: Still wondering
        > Harmonetters,
        >
        > Thanks to you who responded to my inquiry about SING! Kevin Keller, after
        > listing some possibilities, says he doesn't see any good reasons for it:
        >
        > "I dont know.
        >
        > Somebody might have thought it would be fun and figured if you didnt want
        > to hear it, you wouldnt go. Someone might have thought it would be an
        > opportunity to hear other vocal styles done by the very best while youre in
        > town. It might be a ploy to extort money from you to attend the convention
        > earlier. It might be a perverse plot to show CASA how good barbershop really
        > is. Or someone figured that there might be some people attending who have
        > never been exposed to barbershop and they could see the glory and fun of an
        > International.
        >
        > So, I guess I really dont see any good reasons for it at all."
        >
        > I guess Kevin wasn't in on the planning, either. Anyone else have any
        > ideas--especially some of the planners?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Tom Pearce
        > Charlottesville, Virginia

      • Bob Caldwell
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2000
          Here's the good news for the KIBbers, my friend TomP included, among
          you. Those amid BBS who have tendencies toward singing mostly
          outside the umbrella might find themselves a more welcome home within
          the other group. I tend to lean toward my friend, JoeK's, theory,
          that others will come away from the week with a newfound respect of
          real barbershop, for the most part, what we do in contest.

          Harmony-us-ly,
          BobCaldwell@...