Re: The performance that helped "hook" you

  • Tom Matchinsky
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2000
      Well, considering that my folks are both barbershoppers and that I
      was probably concieved just weeks before the Happiness Emporium won
      their gold, their performance(s) hooked me HARD. I'm certain my
      parents played their album countless times and, as a result, my first
      words were "run, run". As in, "run to the city of refuge, you better
      run, run, run". This is how I referred to the stereo at the tender
      age of 10 months. Too bad my mean old dad wouldn't let me join until
      I was 10 YEARS old. Over the years I've heard H.E. perform countless
      times and could probably sing at least two parts to most of their
      repertiore. What's even cooler is that I get to sing with two of them
      every week in the Great Northern Union. Man, it's fun to hang around
      your idols. The best, though, was all the encouragement my quartet
      got from these fellas as we were taking our shot at the LOL District
      Championship this fall. I'll never forget the look on Bob Dowma's
      face when the number two quartet was announced and it was clear we
      were the winners. We've all seen that grin a million times but this
      one was so very special to me. I think, for that moment, I knew how
      he felt when his quartet's name was announced in Indianapolis in July
      of 1975.

      Barbershop brat to the core (literally)!!!

      Tom Matchinsky
      Tenor - Innovation
      2000 LOL District Quartet Champions
      Tenor - Great Northern Union - Hilltop, MN
      2000 International 4th Place Medalists and LOL District Champions
    • Kirsten or Edward
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2000
        Wow-- these stories are fun to read! When my daugher was born, I went from
        being a full-time music teacher to a stay-at-home mom. I knew I needed
        something musical to do. I went to my local Sweet Adelines chapter meeting.
        They reeled me in, having me join their music staff almost immediately,which
        helped feed my craving to do something that I felt qualfied to do. However,
        onto the performace that "hooked" me....
        My first contest was what did it. I saw on the stage in these beautiful plum
        dresses, the Ramapo Valley Chorus sing the West Side Story Medley. Everyone
        in my chorus kept telling me, "Wait until you hear Ramapo Valley!" over and
        over again. Now I knew why. My jaw dropped to the floor, and I knew that
        this is something I must keep doing!

        Happy Holidays.....
        Kirsten Jerlin
        tenor section leader