Re: [bbshop] How I got hooked

  • Carol Donnelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
      I love hearing these stories. What a great resource for membership
      promotion! There's no better idea than one that has been proven to work.

      My story is similar to many others. In 1971, living in a strange city
      (Detroit) with limited social contacts, I had joined the Newcomer's Club,
      hoping to make some friends by participating in some of the small activity
      groups. Once a month they had a general meeting, and the entertainment at
      one meeting was a quartet from the local Sweet Adelines chapter. Just a
      regular chapter quartet - nothing great, no gold medals - but I thought
      they were wonderful. I went up to them after the meeting and asked how I
      could do this, and of course they were thrilled that they had a prospect.
      They sent someone to pick me up the next Tuesday, plopped me down in the
      middle of the baritone section, and the rest, as they say, is history.
      (Needless to say, I gave up playing pinochle and making purses out of jute
      string.) Since then I have made two major moves to different states, but I
      never again had to worry about making new friends in a strange city.

    • Marti Lovejoy
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
        I've been on vacation and have enjoyed catching up with these stories. I
        think mine is a little different, so...

        I'll join in...

        There was this secretary in the school where I taught math - she kept
        pestering me to visit "Sweet Adelines" - whatever that was. I was sooooo
        shy, I just kept saying no. (I mean so shy that I couldn't buy gas for my
        car because in those days you had to roll down your window and ask a
        strange man to "fill 'er up.")

        One day in the summer she called me and said she HAD to have a guest at the
        next rehearsal or she would suffer some terrible indiginity (maybe wearing
        nametag upside down, I don't remember.) I said I would go if she *promised* to
        NEVER mention Sweet Adelines again. She did and I did.

        Long story short - I was so enveloped with acceptance and love that night -
        I didn't care one whit about the music! That came later! In about a
        month, I knew I was "home." 28+ years later, I've done everything at the
        chapter level except riser chair, everything at the regional level except
        DMA (they changed it before I got a chance and now the job is TOO big) and
        have competed with choruses and quartets, founded and directed a chorus and
        ... well, you name it! AND, I am no longer paralyzed with fear when
        talking to strangers, although I would say I am still basically shy.

        Thanks, Betty Marshall! Your persistence was a great gift to me!

        The music hook, several years later, was probably singing on the same show
        with the Gentleman's Agreement and getting advice on how to handle my
        nerves from the great Bob Whitledge.

        Marti Lovejoy, Life Member of Sweet Adelines (28 years so far)
        SA Score Central for the SING & the Harmonet
        Houston Horizon Chorus, Reg 10, TX, USA
        LovejoyMar@...
      • Roy Ireland
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2000
          I've been reading this thread for about a week now and there are some
          great stories about what got people started in Barbershopping.
          I didn't come from a musical family and wasn't a "Barbershop Brat"
          but I did enjoy singing. I started singing in choirs in junior high
          school and continued through high school and church choirs. When I
          graduated from college and moved from Tucson to Douglas, AZ (a small
          border town about 90 miles to the south) to work, I left singing
          behind, or so I thought.
          Somehow, I had picked up an album of the 1968 International
          Convention and listened to the likes of the Western Continentals
          among others. There was something about the quartet style that just
          captivated me. When I moved back to Tucson in 1976, I immediately set
          out to find the local chapter. Fred Koch was my sponsor and I joined
          the Tucson Chapter and was singing tenor in a quartet with him within
          a year.
          Barbershopping has been a major part of my adult life and I couldn't
          imagine it not being so.

          Roy Ireland
          Tucson Chapter
          Tenor, Kopper Kings, Sunrise, Thursday Night 4-um, Vocal Command and
          Eastsiders
          rlireland@...
        • Larry
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2000
            I was in the Navy and checking into my new command in Hawaii in 1983 when I
            was asked if I liked to sing by a Senior Chief. I said yes, why? He said
            he was trying to put together an all Navy quartet. I asked what part he
            needed and he asked me what part I could sing. I said melody, tenor and
            bari. He said he had a Joulliard Bass and an outstanding tenor and he had
            been singing lead for all his life so I could/would sing bari. Later that
            week I went to my first meeting with the Sandwich Island Barbershop Chorus
            and was really pleased with all they were doing. So I joined and sang with
            them until I left in 1986 and have been a member ever since. I really wish
            I had ben introduced to Barbershop music when I was much younger.

            Larry...

            Chorus Manager
            Knights of Harmony
            Bowie, MD