A "Common" reaction

  • Hank Brandt
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2000
      --- In bbshop@egroups.com, "Steven Wheaton/Quebec/IBM" <swheato@c...>
      wrote:
      > I just didn't understand why the Best quartet of them
      > all, the Boston Common, didn't win for another 3 Internationals ;-).

      I know, Steve. There are a lot of us who have never been able to
      figure that out.

      Regards,
      Hank Brandt
      (a huge Boston Common fan... but trying not to get any bigger)
    • Tom Matchinsky
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2000
        Well, considering that my folks are both barbershoppers and that I
        was probably concieved just weeks before the Happiness Emporium won
        their gold, their performance(s) hooked me HARD. I'm certain my
        parents played their album countless times and, as a result, my first
        words were "run, run". As in, "run to the city of refuge, you better
        run, run, run". This is how I referred to the stereo at the tender
        age of 10 months. Too bad my mean old dad wouldn't let me join until
        I was 10 YEARS old. Over the years I've heard H.E. perform countless
        times and could probably sing at least two parts to most of their
        repertiore. What's even cooler is that I get to sing with two of them
        every week in the Great Northern Union. Man, it's fun to hang around
        your idols. The best, though, was all the encouragement my quartet
        got from these fellas as we were taking our shot at the LOL District
        Championship this fall. I'll never forget the look on Bob Dowma's
        face when the number two quartet was announced and it was clear we
        were the winners. We've all seen that grin a million times but this
        one was so very special to me. I think, for that moment, I knew how
        he felt when his quartet's name was announced in Indianapolis in July
        of 1975.

        Barbershop brat to the core (literally)!!!

        Tom Matchinsky
        Tenor - Innovation
        2000 LOL District Quartet Champions
        Tenor - Great Northern Union - Hilltop, MN
        2000 International 4th Place Medalists and LOL District Champions
      • Kirsten or Edward
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2000
          Wow-- these stories are fun to read! When my daugher was born, I went from
          being a full-time music teacher to a stay-at-home mom. I knew I needed
          something musical to do. I went to my local Sweet Adelines chapter meeting.
          They reeled me in, having me join their music staff almost immediately,which
          helped feed my craving to do something that I felt qualfied to do. However,
          onto the performace that "hooked" me....
          My first contest was what did it. I saw on the stage in these beautiful plum
          dresses, the Ramapo Valley Chorus sing the West Side Story Medley. Everyone
          in my chorus kept telling me, "Wait until you hear Ramapo Valley!" over and
          over again. Now I knew why. My jaw dropped to the floor, and I knew that
          this is something I must keep doing!

          Happy Holidays.....
          Kirsten Jerlin
          tenor section leader