Re: [bbshop] What hooked you...

  • Erik Deland
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
      Hey, everyone!

      My first experience in Barbershopping occurred 3 years ago while I was still
      in High School. A good friend of mine who had been singing for 4 or 5 years
      heard me singing in the halls at school. He asked me if I'd like to come to
      a Barbershop meeting that night. I immediately said sure. After all, it
      might be interesting, even though I'd never heard of Barbershop in my life.
      That night, I made my way to my first ever rehearsal of the Oakville
      Entertainers chorus. The minute I entered the rehearsal hall, I was welcomed
      by my buddy as well as another friend who had joined not long before. They
      introduced me to the chorus director, who took me aside and voice tested me.
      He told me I could sing tenor, lead or bari, but for the time being, I
      should sing in the lead section. A few moments later, as I was being
      introduced to the other leads and standing between my two buddies, one in
      the tenor section, and the other in the lead section to help me out, a pitch
      pipe blew, and the guys hummed the pitch. I was hooked from right then and
      there. After singing a few songs, I was certain that the chorus was where I
      belonged. They let me join that evening, after singing several tags with
      members who quickly became some of my best friends. I will be eternally
      grateful to my friend and the members of that wonderful chorus that allowed
      me to fully appreciate this wonderful hobby.

      Erik Deland
      tenor, lead and occasional baritone
      Guelph Royal City Ambassadors
      Oakville Entertainers
      Ontario District
      19 years young and enjoying every minute of it.

    • djspebs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
        I had been "woodshedding" with three friends nearly
        all the way through High school. We didn't know about
        the "Society" or that there were "written" arrangements
        or anything like that. We were hired to perform for
        local functions ($5/$10) but sang mostly for our own
        amazement. I was one of those *fortunate* vocalists
        who "heard" the Baritone note instinctively and,
        until my 1950 encounter with OCCash in Topeka, KS,
        sang that part for years. Every quartet I have
        been a part of has been one in which the Lead
        and Bari switched parts on certain songs.

        My friend Burt Huish likes to tell "The Rest Of The
        Story". It goes like this:

        After graduating from High School in 1946, I heard
        about this outfit in a nearby town that sang
        BBShop music. I learned the address of the rehearsal
        hall and the date and time of their gathering.

        I got to the hall several minutes ahead of time
        and, being somewhat nervous, went into the closest
        "Necessary Room" where there were 4 guys in the
        corner "rendering" their version of "Watermelon
        Time In Lou'siana" (or some such). While the
        lead and Bass for pretty good, the tenor was
        weak and the Bari was AWFUL!

        I said (to myself, of course), "Boy! I sure could
        help THOSE guys!" (*)

        (^8

        As it turned out, I was asked to come back when
        I had three other guys (it was a Quartet Chapter
        -- as they all were in those days) and the rest
        is history.

        Dick Johnson
        Great Falls, MT

        (*) A year or so after joining (with three of my
        friends) I got together with the Bass of that
        'Outhouse Four,' and, with a new Bari and Tenor,
        I switched to Lead -- and "The ChordHuskers"
        quartet was born.
      • Shelley Herman
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
          I'm surprised that I can remember anything that long ago, however:

          My high school choir teacher, Dr. Homer Hummel, was a member of the Hollywood
          (CA) chapter and he brought quartets down to our choir banquets. Later he got
          my girl friend singing in a girls quartet publicizing the annual. I went
          straight out of HS into USAF and, while stationed in the San Bernardino area,
          our base USO had the local (Colton CA) chapter over to entertain us. I joined
          the next week. I was sent to Colorado, joined the Denver chapter, and when I
          got out of the service, I couldn't find a chapter in the Los Angeles area.
          Until I was driving down the street one day and saw a car with a barbershop
          emblem on the back. I literally ran the guy over to the curb, almost causing
          an accident, and found out where the local chapter met. I hope to get my 50
          year pin in Nashville next year.

          Once, when I did not remember when I joined, I asked Kenosha to confirm the
          date. They sent me the chapter secretary's report and it showed two members
          who joined that month. I was one and the other was Gerald (Jay) Wright, bass
          of the Sidewinders, 1965 Gold Medal Quartet.

          By the way, Dr. Hummel managed to snag at least one more member, Mike Senter,
          Bass of the Golden Staters.

          Shelley A. Herman
          Whittier Chapter
          saherman@...
        • TenRrose@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
            Shelley A. Herman said in his post he had to call Kenosha to find out the
            date he joined the Society. I don't know how long they have been doing this,
            but SAI has the month and year I joined on my membership card. This date was
            transferred to the new card I received when I transferred to another chorus a
            year and a half ago.

            Peggy B2, tenor
            Region 22
            Fox Valley Chorus
          • Mary Jo Hurd
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2000
              I'd enjoyed the Buffalo Bills in the Music Man and the
              Perry Como show, but what hooked me was an 'accidental
              taping' of a special on our PBS station. I was trying
              to tape a Star Trek episode and missed by one channel.
              When I went to check the tape, it started with a song
              by Showtime. It took about 30 seconds to hook me.
              When I found out Showtime was 'local talent' (I live
              in the Tampa Bay area) I started looking around at
              what was available and found Gulf to Bay Chorus. The
              rest is <*ahem*> history!?!?! :)

              I'm on my fifth quartet, am a chorus officer, and I'm doing
              websites for choruses who don't have one... and singing
              every chance I can. (They have to pay me to shut up! :)
              --
              Mary Jo Hurd
              Gulf to Bay Chorus technodweeb & Secretary