Re: How I got hooked

  • PacEmp10R@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
      Thanks for sharing how you got hooked on Barbershop. I thought I would share
      with you how I got hooked. While I was going to my local Junior College here
      in Santa Rosa California (1980 ish) I enrolled in some vocal music classes.
      One was a basic vocal instruction class and the other was a mixed double
      quartet that did some touring. I had the same instructor for both of my
      classes, I could tell that my instructor had and still does have a love for
      Barbershop, I remember him telling us about this great woman's chorus in
      Santa Rosa with a Dynamic director and he felt that I would really like this
      group Called Sweet Adelines.... All I knew of Barbershop was from what I had
      seen on TV like The OSMONDS, I just Loved them! or in the plays that I was in
      like the Music Man, But I thought Woman's Barbershop? Oh, dear! I don't wanna
      sing wearing Gingham and wear funky costumes, but I did love the Makeup part
      of it. Well, to make this long story longer =) I did check out Sweet Adelines
      a few years later from an article that I had read in the paper and from the
      moment I walked in the door not only was I hooked! I was remembering that my
      Uncle Jerry in Washington State Sang Barbershop and that my college
      instructor loved barbershop so a year or so Later at one of our rehearsals
      there sat watching us was my instructor from the College. It was then I
      realized that he wasn't only "MY" instructor in College but he was the one
      and Only Val Hicks. What a thrill it was to work with Val and the many
      stories that he told I will cherish forever. when I went to my first Mens
      International in Anaheim in 1999 and hearing all those quartets and choruses
      singing it brought back so many memories on how I got hooked into Barbershop.
      Thanks Uncle Jerry Stewart and Val Hicks for Sharing Your Hobby with me.
      REVIVAL Thanks and Pacific Empire you all hold a special place in my Heart!
      Paula Murphy~Vance
      Pacific Empire Chorus Region 12
      Sweet Adelines 8th place International medalist

    • Carol Donnelly
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
        I love hearing these stories. What a great resource for membership
        promotion! There's no better idea than one that has been proven to work.

        My story is similar to many others. In 1971, living in a strange city
        (Detroit) with limited social contacts, I had joined the Newcomer's Club,
        hoping to make some friends by participating in some of the small activity
        groups. Once a month they had a general meeting, and the entertainment at
        one meeting was a quartet from the local Sweet Adelines chapter. Just a
        regular chapter quartet - nothing great, no gold medals - but I thought
        they were wonderful. I went up to them after the meeting and asked how I
        could do this, and of course they were thrilled that they had a prospect.
        They sent someone to pick me up the next Tuesday, plopped me down in the
        middle of the baritone section, and the rest, as they say, is history.
        (Needless to say, I gave up playing pinochle and making purses out of jute
        string.) Since then I have made two major moves to different states, but I
        never again had to worry about making new friends in a strange city.

      • Marti Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2000
          I've been on vacation and have enjoyed catching up with these stories. I
          think mine is a little different, so...

          I'll join in...

          There was this secretary in the school where I taught math - she kept
          pestering me to visit "Sweet Adelines" - whatever that was. I was sooooo
          shy, I just kept saying no. (I mean so shy that I couldn't buy gas for my
          car because in those days you had to roll down your window and ask a
          strange man to "fill 'er up.")

          One day in the summer she called me and said she HAD to have a guest at the
          next rehearsal or she would suffer some terrible indiginity (maybe wearing
          nametag upside down, I don't remember.) I said I would go if she *promised* to
          NEVER mention Sweet Adelines again. She did and I did.

          Long story short - I was so enveloped with acceptance and love that night -
          I didn't care one whit about the music! That came later! In about a
          month, I knew I was "home." 28+ years later, I've done everything at the
          chapter level except riser chair, everything at the regional level except
          DMA (they changed it before I got a chance and now the job is TOO big) and
          have competed with choruses and quartets, founded and directed a chorus and
          ... well, you name it! AND, I am no longer paralyzed with fear when
          talking to strangers, although I would say I am still basically shy.

          Thanks, Betty Marshall! Your persistence was a great gift to me!

          The music hook, several years later, was probably singing on the same show
          with the Gentleman's Agreement and getting advice on how to handle my
          nerves from the great Bob Whitledge.

          Marti Lovejoy, Life Member of Sweet Adelines (28 years so far)
          SA Score Central for the SING & the Harmonet
          Houston Horizon Chorus, Reg 10, TX, USA
          LovejoyMar@...
        • Roy Ireland
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2000
            I've been reading this thread for about a week now and there are some
            great stories about what got people started in Barbershopping.
            I didn't come from a musical family and wasn't a "Barbershop Brat"
            but I did enjoy singing. I started singing in choirs in junior high
            school and continued through high school and church choirs. When I
            graduated from college and moved from Tucson to Douglas, AZ (a small
            border town about 90 miles to the south) to work, I left singing
            behind, or so I thought.
            Somehow, I had picked up an album of the 1968 International
            Convention and listened to the likes of the Western Continentals
            among others. There was something about the quartet style that just
            captivated me. When I moved back to Tucson in 1976, I immediately set
            out to find the local chapter. Fred Koch was my sponsor and I joined
            the Tucson Chapter and was singing tenor in a quartet with him within
            a year.
            Barbershopping has been a major part of my adult life and I couldn't
            imagine it not being so.

            Roy Ireland
            Tucson Chapter
            Tenor, Kopper Kings, Sunrise, Thursday Night 4-um, Vocal Command and
            Eastsiders
            rlireland@...
          • Larry
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2000
              I was in the Navy and checking into my new command in Hawaii in 1983 when I
              was asked if I liked to sing by a Senior Chief. I said yes, why? He said
              he was trying to put together an all Navy quartet. I asked what part he
              needed and he asked me what part I could sing. I said melody, tenor and
              bari. He said he had a Joulliard Bass and an outstanding tenor and he had
              been singing lead for all his life so I could/would sing bari. Later that
              week I went to my first meeting with the Sandwich Island Barbershop Chorus
              and was really pleased with all they were doing. So I joined and sang with
              them until I left in 1986 and have been a member ever since. I really wish
              I had ben introduced to Barbershop music when I was much younger.

              Larry...

              Chorus Manager
              Knights of Harmony
              Bowie, MD