Re: [bbshop] Danny Boy

  • goldmedl@theramp.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 7:26 AM
      At 01:47 PM 4/1/2003 +0000, Dave Jacobs wrote:
      >Background: When I was a wee lad, and joined the Society just out of High
      >school, back in 1983, I came to realize that contest barbershop songs fell
      >into one of 3 catagories: songs about girls, songs about The South, or
      >songs about Ireland. (At least it semed so in the '80's.) But one song I
      >don't every recall hearing in contest, is "Danny Boy", probably the most
      >recognizable Irish songs I know. At least it's one of the few "songs
      >about Ireland" I would have recognized before becoming a barbershopper.
      >
      >The real point of my email: Is "Danny Boy" unacceptable for the contest
      >stage because: a) the harmonies implied by the melody do not fit the
      >barbershop style, b) there is a mention of saying a prayer(an "Ave") thus
      >making it religious, or c) no International Champion Quartet has put a
      >Greg Volk arrangement a CD for us to imulate?
      >
      >Or, if I put it in my show package, can I take it to contest, too?
      >
      >Dave Jacobs g8r10r@...
      >Gainesville, FL
      >Y2KFour (only 9 months 'til the name makes sense again), bari.

      Dave - There are many on this list who will recall New Tradition Chorus
      singing this song at the 1995 International Contest held in Miami for yet
      one of the many 2nd place silver medals in their eventual path to the gold
      in 2001. Of course that arrangement was created by Jay Giallombardo, Dir.
      of the New Tradition.

      Similarly, the top 5 quartet, BSQ, competed with "Danny Boy" at the 1997
      (?) International with Ed Waesche's arrangement.
      And the Oriole Four used Danny Boy in their 1970 International championship
      year.

      Maybe you can get your hands on these recordings?!

      - Helen Giallombardo, possessed of a long memory
    • Charley Garrett
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 4:23 PM
        We're using the Renee Craig arrangment of this from the society (7349), and
        I like it a lot.

        Not being a judge at all, I can't comment on it's contestability.
        Charley Garrett
        =========================
        President, Columbus Georgia Chapter, SPEBSQSA, Inc.
        Director, Rivertown Barbershop Chorus
        Tenor, Wildwood
        Tenor, Latter Day Harmony Quest
        If I wished to punish a province, I would have it governed by
        philosophers. - Frederick II, the Great

      • bassorob1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1 10:30 PM
          "The Arrangement", 1996 SWD Quartet Champs, sang Jay G's "Danny Boy" for
          about three years. We were fortunate (?) to debut it to him in person at an
          SWD "Top Gun" quartet school, and he made a few changes to the tag to be more
          appropriate for a quartet. He said at the time that we were the first
          quartet he knew of crazy enough to tackle it! Three months later we used it
          to qualify for Int'l, and sang it on stage in Atlanta. I don't know for
          sure, but it may still be the longest single 'legitimate' ballad (a nod to
          FRED) ever done on Int'l stage, a whopping 4 minutes and 45 seconds! Boy,
          were we a glutton for punishment!

          Grady Kerr put our version of "Danny Boy" on the SWD 50th Anniversary CD,
          which I believe is still available for sale (Grady?). I was surprised and
          pleased to hear it on an "Applause" show a few months back. A great
          arrangement, but not a piece of music I would recommend to the faint of
          heart.

          From the BASS-ment,

          Rob Smith
          Bass Section Leader, Houston Tidelanders
          Past President and BSOY, Tidelanders, somewhere back in the early 80's
          Bass, The Arrangement, 1996 SWD Champs, 1995-96-97 International competitors
          Bass, Presto!, 2001 SWD Champs (still waiting for royalty payments from
          Kenosha for naming their web site after us)

        • Bill Rohlin
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 11, 2009
            I'd like to know who's arrangement of Danny Boy State Line Grocery
            performs. Thanks in advance
            Bill Rohlin, bass with High Hopes

          • Steve Bangham
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 11, 2009
              I think Jeff Baker of Nightlife fame arranged it. If not arranged it, I know he wrote it.

              Steve Bangham
              East York Barbershoppers

              Sent from my iPhone

              On 11-Jun-09, at 9:05 PM, Bill Rohlin <wrohlin@...> wrote:

              I'd like to know who's arrangement of Danny Boy State Line Grocery
              performs. Thanks in advance
              Bill Rohlin, bass with High Hopes

            • Joe Johnson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 11, 2009
                According to the liner notes on the "Restocked" CD, it was arranged by Jim Clancy.

                JOE JOHNSON

                House of Joseph Music
                www.bbsmusic.com
                House of Joseph Easels
                www.houseofjosepheasels.com

                I'd like to know who's arrangement of Danny Boy State Line Grocery

                performs. Thanks in advance

                Bill Rohlin, bass with High Hopes

              • Graham Fagan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                  Bangy , I know you're very good at bbshp trivia but , now you've got me stumped ......In the Danny Boy discussion you say that you know Jeff Baker of Nightlife wrote it .......Amazing ! I don't know the man but I can trace it's root back to 1855 with current words about 1910 ???

                  Graham Fagan

                • Bill Kane
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                    I can understand your confusion, but Jeff is actually a lot older than he looks.

                    Bill Kane

                    Phoenix

                    To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                    From: gfagan33@...
                    Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:02:50 -0400
                    Subject: [bbshop] Re: Danny Boy

                    Bangy , I know you're very good at bbshp trivia but , now you've got me stumped ......In the Danny Boy discussion you say that you know Jeff Baker of Nightlife wrote it .......Amazing ! I don't know the man but I can trace it's root back to 1855 with current words about 1910 ???

                    Graham Fagan

                  • Bob Patterson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                      I seem to recall that Jeff claims, on stage, to have written every song his quartet sings.
                      You mean people actually believe him?

                      Bob Patterson

                      To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                      From: gfagan33@...
                      Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:02:50 -0400

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                        Graham my good friend. You are obviously not a Nightlife fan or follower. Did you not know Jeff Baker wrote almost all of the great songs?

                        Steve Bangham
                        East York Barbershoppers

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                          You're right , I wasn't aware of that so , seeing as I've blown his cover on this one , I'll go along with Bill Kane's assertion that he's "actually a lot older than he looks " .....That should get me back onside , right ?

                          Graham Fagan