Danny Boy

  • Dave Jacobs
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2003
      Background: When I was a wee lad, and joined the Society just out of High school, back in 1983, I came to realize that contest barbershop songs fell into one of 3 catagories: songs about girls, songs about The South, or songs about Ireland. (At least it semed so in the '80's.) But one song I don't every recall hearing in contest, is "Danny Boy", probably the most recognizable Irish songs I know. At least it's one of the few "songs about Ireland" I would have recognized before becoming a barbershopper.

      The real point of my email: Is "Danny Boy" unacceptable for the contest stage because: a) the harmonies implied by the melody do not fit the barbershop style, b) there is a mention of saying a prayer(an "Ave") thus making it religious, or c) no International Champion Quartet has put a Greg Volk arrangement a CD for us to imulate?

      Or, if I put it in my show package, can I take it to contest, too?

      Dave Jacobs g8r10r@...
      Gainesville, FL
      Y2KFour (only 9 months 'til the name makes sense again), bari.

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com
    • goldmedl@theramp.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2003
        At 01:47 PM 4/1/2003 +0000, Dave Jacobs wrote:
        >Background: When I was a wee lad, and joined the Society just out of High
        >school, back in 1983, I came to realize that contest barbershop songs fell
        >into one of 3 catagories: songs about girls, songs about The South, or
        >songs about Ireland. (At least it semed so in the '80's.) But one song I
        >don't every recall hearing in contest, is "Danny Boy", probably the most
        >recognizable Irish songs I know. At least it's one of the few "songs
        >about Ireland" I would have recognized before becoming a barbershopper.
        >
        >The real point of my email: Is "Danny Boy" unacceptable for the contest
        >stage because: a) the harmonies implied by the melody do not fit the
        >barbershop style, b) there is a mention of saying a prayer(an "Ave") thus
        >making it religious, or c) no International Champion Quartet has put a
        >Greg Volk arrangement a CD for us to imulate?
        >
        >Or, if I put it in my show package, can I take it to contest, too?
        >
        >Dave Jacobs g8r10r@...
        >Gainesville, FL
        >Y2KFour (only 9 months 'til the name makes sense again), bari.

        Dave - There are many on this list who will recall New Tradition Chorus
        singing this song at the 1995 International Contest held in Miami for yet
        one of the many 2nd place silver medals in their eventual path to the gold
        in 2001. Of course that arrangement was created by Jay Giallombardo, Dir.
        of the New Tradition.

        Similarly, the top 5 quartet, BSQ, competed with "Danny Boy" at the 1997
        (?) International with Ed Waesche's arrangement.
        And the Oriole Four used Danny Boy in their 1970 International championship
        year.

        Maybe you can get your hands on these recordings?!

        - Helen Giallombardo, possessed of a long memory
      • Travis Murray
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2003
          I know that BSQ did Ed Waesche's arrangement of Danny Boy at International with no *noticeable* his in the MUS category.

          Travis Murray
          Lead - The Wanderers
          http://www.the-wanderers.com
          Dixie's Best Kept Secret

[...]

        • Charley Garrett
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2003
            We're using the Renee Craig arrangment of this from the society (7349), and
            I like it a lot.

            Not being a judge at all, I can't comment on it's contestability.
            Charley Garrett
            =========================
            President, Columbus Georgia Chapter, SPEBSQSA, Inc.
            Director, Rivertown Barbershop Chorus
            Tenor, Wildwood
            Tenor, Latter Day Harmony Quest
            If I wished to punish a province, I would have it governed by
            philosophers. - Frederick II, the Great

          • bassorob1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1, 2003
              "The Arrangement", 1996 SWD Quartet Champs, sang Jay G's "Danny Boy" for
              about three years. We were fortunate (?) to debut it to him in person at an
              SWD "Top Gun" quartet school, and he made a few changes to the tag to be more
              appropriate for a quartet. He said at the time that we were the first
              quartet he knew of crazy enough to tackle it! Three months later we used it
              to qualify for Int'l, and sang it on stage in Atlanta. I don't know for
              sure, but it may still be the longest single 'legitimate' ballad (a nod to
              FRED) ever done on Int'l stage, a whopping 4 minutes and 45 seconds! Boy,
              were we a glutton for punishment!

              Grady Kerr put our version of "Danny Boy" on the SWD 50th Anniversary CD,
              which I believe is still available for sale (Grady?). I was surprised and
              pleased to hear it on an "Applause" show a few months back. A great
              arrangement, but not a piece of music I would recommend to the faint of
              heart.

              From the BASS-ment,

              Rob Smith
              Bass Section Leader, Houston Tidelanders
              Past President and BSOY, Tidelanders, somewhere back in the early 80's
              Bass, The Arrangement, 1996 SWD Champs, 1995-96-97 International competitors
              Bass, Presto!, 2001 SWD Champs (still waiting for royalty payments from
              Kenosha for naming their web site after us)

            • Bill Rohlin
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 11, 2009
                I'd like to know who's arrangement of Danny Boy State Line Grocery
                performs. Thanks in advance
                Bill Rohlin, bass with High Hopes

              • Steve Bangham
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 11, 2009
                  I think Jeff Baker of Nightlife fame arranged it. If not arranged it, I know he wrote it.

                  Steve Bangham
                  East York Barbershoppers

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On 11-Jun-09, at 9:05 PM, Bill Rohlin <wrohlin@...> wrote:

                  I'd like to know who's arrangement of Danny Boy State Line Grocery
                  performs. Thanks in advance
                  Bill Rohlin, bass with High Hopes

                • Joe Johnson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 11, 2009
                    According to the liner notes on the "Restocked" CD, it was arranged by Jim Clancy.

                    JOE JOHNSON

                    House of Joseph Music
                    www.bbsmusic.com
                    House of Joseph Easels
                    www.houseofjosepheasels.com

                    I'd like to know who's arrangement of Danny Boy State Line Grocery

                    performs. Thanks in advance

                    Bill Rohlin, bass with High Hopes

                  • Graham Fagan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                      Bangy , I know you're very good at bbshp trivia but , now you've got me stumped ......In the Danny Boy discussion you say that you know Jeff Baker of Nightlife wrote it .......Amazing ! I don't know the man but I can trace it's root back to 1855 with current words about 1910 ???

                      Graham Fagan

                    • Bill Kane
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                        I can understand your confusion, but Jeff is actually a lot older than he looks.

                        Bill Kane

                        Phoenix

                        To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                        From: gfagan33@...
                        Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:02:50 -0400
                        Subject: [bbshop] Re: Danny Boy

                        Bangy , I know you're very good at bbshp trivia but , now you've got me stumped ......In the Danny Boy discussion you say that you know Jeff Baker of Nightlife wrote it .......Amazing ! I don't know the man but I can trace it's root back to 1855 with current words about 1910 ???

                        Graham Fagan

                      • Bob Patterson
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                          I seem to recall that Jeff claims, on stage, to have written every song his quartet sings.
                          You mean people actually believe him?

                          Bob Patterson

                          To: bbshop@yahoogroups.com
                          From: gfagan33@...
                          Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 17:02:50 -0400

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                            Graham my good friend. You are obviously not a Nightlife fan or follower. Did you not know Jeff Baker wrote almost all of the great songs?

                            Steve Bangham
                            East York Barbershoppers

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 12, 2009
                              You're right , I wasn't aware of that so , seeing as I've blown his cover on this one , I'll go along with Bill Kane's assertion that he's "actually a lot older than he looks " .....That should get me back onside , right ?

                              Graham Fagan