Individual Audio Recorder Recommendations

  • Steve Sammonds
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2000
      Tis the season of gift giving and receiving. I am often asked by
      chorus members this time of year which personal audio recorder they
      should request for Christmas. Since technology constantly changes, I
      thought I would ask for some advice here. I've seen the recent
      thread on equipment for recording quartets or choruses, but looking
      specifically for recorders for individual member use.

      I am particularly interested if any choruses out there have found a
      particular make or model which has become more or less a standard
      recommendation they make to their chorus members. I have seen some
      models that can be worn, thus eliminating the need to hold the
      recorder in your hand while on the risers. The ideal recorder would
      be
      portable, relatively inexpensive, and provide quality recording
      (playback is not as important since that can be done on a different
      system at home or in the car).

      If anyone has specific model recommendations, that would be great.
      But
      I'll gladly receive any recommendations of features or specifications
      to look for or avoid.

      Thanks all. Please respond to my home email address as I am not back
      in the office until next week.

      Steve Sammonds (sammonds@...)
      Music Director, Peninsula Chapter (FWD, SPEBSQSA)
      Lead, ShockWave
    • I. Murray Phillips
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2000
        In the spirit of Christmas, Steve Sammonds asked:

        | Tis the season of gift giving and receiving. I am often asked by
        | chorus members this time of year which personal audio recorder they
        | should request for Christmas. <SNIP>

        | I am particularly interested if any choruses out there have found a
        | particular make or model which has become more or less a standard
        | recommendation they make to their chorus members. <SNIP>

        | If anyone has specific model recommendations, that would be great.
        | But I'll gladly receive any recommendations of features or
        | specifications to look for or avoid.

        <SNIP>

        | Steve Sammonds (sammonds@...)
        | Music Director, Peninsula Chapter (FWD, SPEBSQSA)
        | Lead, ShockWave

        I, for one, would be very interested in the recommendations people might
        make. As Bulletin Editor, I would like to include a recommendation in the
        Mini-Pitch for our members (and myself!)

        Please forward your ideas to the H@rmonet and share your knowledge.

        Thank you to all.

        Happy Thanksgiving!

        Murray Phillips <mailto:imphillips@... >
        Past-President, Greater Montreal Chapter SPEBSQSA
        Editor, The Mini-Pitch, Web Master, Chorus Manager
        ASHOW 1998, Barbershopper of the Year 1999
        Check us out at: <http://www.nedistrict.org/chapters/montreal >
        Co-Chairman, Montreal International 2003
        Bass, Key of Eh? <http://www.nedistrict.org/qtets/keyofeh >
      • Dan Proctor
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23, 2000
          I normally don't make responses to the whole harmonet but this was
          requested.

          Individual Audio Recorder

          I suggest MiniDisc if you can afford it.

          at http://www.minidisco.com I found the following . . .

          Choose one of the following . . .
          Sharp MDSR60 Portable MiniDisc Recorder @ 184.95
          Sony MZR70 Portable MiniDisc Recorder @ 209.95

          You also need a Mic, Blank MiniDisc's & a Carry Case, I recomend . . .
          SoundPro SPSPSM1 "T" Stereo Mic @ 49.95
          MiniDisco MIMD01C 10pk of MiniDisc's in box @ 18.90
          Servired LCHD Leather Case @ 24.95

          For really long rehearsals you might try the new . . .
          Sony MZR900 MiniDisc Recorder @ 389.95
          It can record in a new mode with up to 320 minutes per disc.
          Panasonic SJMR200W MiniDisc Recorder @ 349.95
          It can record up to 15 hours on a single minidisc (I think it's mono).

          You might also consider a really good set of headphones like . . .
          Sony MDRNC5 Noise Cancelling Headphones @ 94.95
          I have this pair for my MiniDisc portable.

          Anyway, for approximately $280.00 plus shipping, you can get into the
          minidisc revolution. Even though it is a high price option, I promise you
          will never go back.

          Just my thoughts,

          Dan Proctor, danp2000@...
          BarberShoppers On The W3 Web Desinger @ http://www.SunshineNet.org/BSOTW3
          PLATINUM's Web Designer @ http://www.PTPLATINUM.com
          Revival's Web Designer @ http://www.RevivalQT.com
          Sunshine District Web Designer @ http://www.SunshineNet.org
          Metropolitans Baritone Section Leader & Web Designer @

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 24, 2000
            "I. Murray Phillips" wrote:

            > In the spirit of Christmas, Steve Sammonds asked:
            >
            > | Tis the season of gift giving and receiving. I am often asked by
            > | chorus members this time of year which personal audio recorder they
            > | should request for Christmas. <SNIP>
            >
            > | I am particularly interested if any choruses out there have found a
            > | particular make or model which has become more or less a standard
            > | recommendation they make to their chorus members. <SNIP>
            >
            > | If anyone has specific model recommendations, that would be great.
            > | But I'll gladly receive any recommendations of features or
            > | specifications to look for or avoid.
            >
            > <SNIP>
            >
            > | Steve Sammonds (sammonds@...)
            > | Music Director, Peninsula Chapter (FWD, SPEBSQSA)
            > | Lead, ShockWave
            >
            > I, for one, would be very interested in the recommendations people might
            > make. As Bulletin Editor, I would like to include a recommendation in the
            > Mini-Pitch for our members (and myself!)
            >
            > Please forward your ideas to the H@rmonet and share your knowledge.
            >
            > Thank you to all.
            >
            > Happy Thanksgiving!
            >
            > Murray Phillips <mailto:imphillips@... >
            > Past-President, Greater Montreal Chapter SPEBSQSA
            > Editor, The Mini-Pitch, Web Master, Chorus Manager
            > ASHOW 1998, Barbershopper of the Year 1999
            > Check us out at: <http://www.nedistrict.org/chapters/montreal >
            > Co-Chairman, Montreal International 2003
            > Bass, Key of Eh? <http://www.nedistrict.org/qtets/keyofeh >

            I have a Sony 'TCS-580V with both built-in microphones and a jack for an
            external microphone. It is used by a number of our chorus members since one
            of our members is in the high-end audio/video business and he recommended
            it. He gets it for us (even brings it to rehearsal). I use it with a
            monaural microphone that I had with my previous Radio Shack recorder. The
            microphone needs an adapter to plug into the Sony stereo mic jack but that
            was easily obtained at Radio Shack. The microphone is small enough to put
            through a buttonhole in my shirt. The microphone has its own battery and
            volume control, independent of the recorder so I can fine tune it for the
            best recording sound.

            I put the recorder is in a belt pack that I got at Best Buy. It is designed
            for runners and normally sits in the small of the back. I rotated it around
            to my right side and by leaving the zipper open a little, I have access to
            the control buttons on the recorder. So once I push the "Record" button, it
            is totally hands free and I can do all of choreography and physical song
            interpretation without any restrictions.

            It must work pretty good because the Heart of Texas Chorus is going to
            Nashville in 2001 (shameless plug ;o)
            --
            Glenn Nellist
            gnellist@.../gnellist@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
              I know this is something that was discussed a couple of weeks ago, but I
              just got some information that I thought might be helpful. Interestingly,
              this discussion was being carried on a list that has been flamed {;-)>
              recently on this discussion. Maybe they have some good ideas, too. Oh well,
              for those that are interested in the hows, wherefores, what equipment to
              consider, etc. try looking at this URL:
              http://homerecording.com/recording.html.

              Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

              John Elving mailto:jelving@...
              Director, Hayward, CA "New Dimension Chorus"
              www.ndchorus.com <http://www.ndchorus.com>