FL bbshoppers: opinion please!

  • TenRrose@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hi everyone!

      My husband and I are considering relocating to Florida. I found 3 dynamite
      SAI choruses in Florida: Tampa, Fort Myers and Orlando. What can you all
      tell me about these communities? My husband is a road bicyclist so we would
      like to find an area that isn't overly congested near these cities. We have
      heard Florida is growing at an alarming rate. The more we research Florida
      online, the more discouraged we get. We've read that 750 people are moving
      into Florida daily. We sure don't want to move to an area and have to fight
      crowds everywhere we go. Could you give me an honest opinion of Florida?
      Thanks!

      In Harmony,

      Peggy B2, tenor
      SAI Region 22

    • Schleier, Tom @ ACSSD
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
        Hi Peggy,

        I had lived in the Orlando area for four years and my sister lives in the
        greater Tampa area. I have visited Fort Meyers several times in my stay in
        Florida.

        Tampa is a booming area. The traffic is such that riding a bicycle on the
        street is a dangerous sport. The other problem with it is that it is
        bounded by the gulf. I must admit that the whole gulf coast is beautiful.
        The scenery with the palm trees and the gulf is fantastic. To go north from
        Tampa, you would have to go to at least Tarpon Springs is you want to get to
        a less congested area. My sister lives in Dunedin, and it is getting
        congested (I was there with a rental car in December).
        If you choose the Tampa area, I would suggest finding the right place for
        you, and then have your husband load up his bike on the car and find a road
        to bike on.

        Fort Myers is a more sleepy town and the opportunities for cycling are
        closer to the inhabitable areas.

        Orland is huge, but the fringes offer more opportunities for road biking.
        The northern part of the city such as Longwood offer nice housing and some
        areas of less congestion.

        Keep in mind that wherever you choose to bike, you can encounter soft sand
        in the road. It can be a real tough thing to wade through for those bikes
        with skinny tires.

        I am a mountain biker and my tires are 2.125 inches wide. Sand doesn't
        bother them too much.

        I hope this helps some, and if you go to Fort Myers, be sure to see Thomas
        Edison's home in Fort Myers beach. It is the most fascinating tour.

        I hope that you get other opinions on this. Whatever the outcome, keep us
        all informed.

        Best of luck,

        Tom Schleier
        Bari; Phoenicians, Phour X Phour, Allegro (sorted by size)
        tom.schleier@acssd.L-3com.com
        Phone (623) 445-6641 Pager: (602) 204-0119 Fax: (623) 445-7003

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE & DISCLAIMER. This message, together with
        attachments, is for the confidential and exclusive use of the addressee. If
        you receive it in error, please delete the message and its attachments from
        your system immediately and notify us by return e-mail. Do not disclose,
        copy, circulate or use any information contained in this e-mail. (1) The
        content of this e-mail is to be read subject to ACSS terms of business, as
        applicable. (2) E-mail may be intercepted or affected by viruses and ACSS
        accepts no responsibility for any interception or liability for any form of
        viruses introduced by this e-mail. (3) The sender shall remain solely
        accountable for any statements, representations or opinions that are clearly
        his or her own and not made in the course of employment.