Best Quartets Today

  • Tom Hodgins
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hi Gang,

      Here's a new thread for us to ponder!

      Out of the quartets currently singing actively (i.e. - not retired), who is your favorite? Who would you be most likely to go to see on a show? Who's the best quartet currently out there? And who's time has come to bury their pitchpipe? Some quartets are still going strong while some... aren't. Who are they?

      The best 5 quartets today:

      1. Michigan Jake
      2. Gas House Gang
      3. Four Voices
      4. FRED
      5. Metropolis

      I'll let the others say who's on the downfall.. Lets hear some opinions!!

      Tom

    • ohlaurieob
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
        --- In bbshop@y..., Tom Hodgins <hodginshop4@y...> wrote:
        >> I'll let the others say who's on the downfall.. Lets hear some
        opinions!!

        Other than spreading ill-will, why on earth would you want people to
        do this?
        Please folks, let's refrain.

        Thanks,
        Laurie O'Brien
        Pacific Sound Chorus
      • ELDiablo340A@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
          I just saw 4Voices in Toronto, and they are incredible. I already knew they
          were great singers, having heard them at Int'l and on their CD, but i didn't
          realize what a great show they put on! They did some really cool stuff up
          on stage, and being a new barbershopper, i had no idea whether their shtick
          was original or borrowed, but it was most definitely entertaining. i can't
          wait to see them steal the show at the AIC's in Montreal!

          vinnie girardi - bass
          syncopations - SLD district finalists
          friends of harmony - east aurora NY

        • Dave Stadtmauer
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
            Hi Tom et al -

            As a person that gets to listen to lots of quartets on CD I'm pretty sure of my favorites, however the rest of the questions are harder to answer so I'll go with the easy one.

            My favorites are:
            1) Gas House Gang
            2) Michigan Jake
            3) Rumors (SAI)
            4) Four Voices
            5) A Cappella Gold

            I'm not sure where I'd place The Boston Common having recently come out of retirement with the original four. If they still sound as good as they did on their CDs I'd have to place them into the top three.

            Good thread!

            Dave

            Dave Stadtmauer

            Hunterdon Harmonizers
            http://www.njharmonizers.org
            Radio Broadcaster
            http://www.wdvrfm.org/applause1.html

            Tom Hodgins <hodginshop4@...> wrote:
            Hi Gang,

            Here's a new thread for us to ponder!

            Out of the quartets currently singing actively (i.e. - not retired), who is your favorite? Who would you be most likely to go to see on a show? Who's the best quartet currently out there? And who's time has come to bury their pitchpipe? Some quartets are still going strong while some... aren't. Who are they?

            The best 5 quartets today:

            1. Michigan Jake
            2. Gas House Gang
            3. Four Voices
            4. FRED
            5. Metropolis

            I'll let the others say who's on the downfall.. Lets hear some opinions!!

            Tom

          • Philip Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
              Downfall? You want downfall??

              How about The Hoosier Daddies? Since they won the gold medal in
              Lubbock, Texas in 1937, they've been the Jean-Claude Killy of
              downhill trends.

              After 65 years of AIC glimmer performances you'd think they would
              hang up their hats. They were particularly embarrassing at the
              Sockeye Invitational in Fairbanks, Alaska last December when their
              tenor, Bucky Kipper, sang that major ninth instead of the tonic at
              the end of the screamer tag to "Sweet Hour Of Prayer". I still think
              he was just distracted by the Polar Bear in the Mezzanine, but the
              other guys were clearly nonplussed onstage. After that they started
              singing like The Flatfish Four, back when those guys used to
              warble "Who'll Take My Plaice When I'm Gone?"

              And then there's that debacle with their trying to buy Harmony Hall
              to turn into the Kenosha Playboy mansion. What is THAT all about? I
              know those afterglows singing tags into the wee hours with Hef must
              have been enjoyable, but when they did that recent appearance in
              Saskatchewan wearing silk pajamas, someone should have told them to
              act their ages. I admit the George Burns set was cute, but the
              tiparillo joke was in POOR taste!

              The scary thing is that they've been booked for 2005 for their 400th
              birthday to sing at Caesar's Palace in Lompoc. Where's everybody
              gonna park??

              Phil Noir

            • jsgronski@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
                Phil, you've gotten your medication from the same source as Andrew B.,
                haven't you??? ;-)

                John S. Gronski
                Baritone, Great American Chorus,
                Aurora Lamplighters Chorus,
                Elgin Minutemen of Harmony

              • John Elving
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Medication? These guys are on medication? Where can I get some of that
                  "medication"?

                  Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

                  John Elving mailto:jelving1@...
                  "Shrine of Democracy Chorus"
                  Rapid City, South Dakota

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                      Ok, I'll play.

                      1. Michigan Jake
                      2. 4V
                      3. GHG
                      4. Acoustix
                      5. FRED
                      6. Power Play

                      Was that five?

                      Karen Maney
                      Voice Activated Quartet, 2002 Rising Star Champs
                      www.voiceactivatedquartet.com
                    • ontariotriviaking
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                        I will have to agree with Vinnie on this one. Four Voices put on an
                        awesome performance this past Saturday on the East York
                        Barbershoppers show. This was the finest quartet performance in
                        Ontario district in recent memory. I can't believe how good these
                        guys have gotten so quickly. Look out Acoustix, Nightlife and Gas
                        House Gang cause Four Voices took Ontario by storm this past week-end.

                        Steve Bangham
                        East York Barbershoppers

                        I just saw 4Voices in Toronto, and they are incredible. I already
                        knew they
                        were great singers, having heard them at Int'l and on their CD, but i
                        didn't
                        realize what a great show they put on! They did some really cool
                        stuff up
                        on stage, and being a new barbershopper, i had no idea whether their
                        shtick
                        was original or borrowed, but it was most definitely entertaining. i
                        can't
                        wait to see them steal the show at the AIC's in Montreal!

                        vinnie girardi - bass
                      • Todd Hudson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2002
                          I agree with many of the quartets on the many lists we've seen, I would also
                          like to add Flipside and Gotcha!

                          Todd