Re: Length of meetings

  • Ken Lambert
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 2, 2002
      We (the VM) generally meet from 7:00 to 10:30. Rookies learning
      music & choreo meet from 6:00 to 7:00.

      We do chapter business at our break.

      --- In bbshop@y..., John Witmer <witmer@c...> wrote:
      > We have been having an attendance problem lately with only 60%
      > of the members attending meetings and of that group about 30%
      > leaving early. As you might imagine, it is driving the director
      > crazy. It has been suggested that one problem is the length of
      > our meetings and the fact we have no formal break. [If a member
      > needs a break, he simply steps off the risers and excuses him-
      > self for a minute.]
      >
      > We meet from 7:30 to 10:00. What does your chapter do?
      >
      > Chordially, John
      > | | |
      > | John Witmer <witmer@c...> | Barbershop Bass |
      > | 111 Rainbow's End | The Upstate Four |
      > | Anderson, SC 29626 | Music Vice President |
      > | Phone (864)375-1510 | Spartanburg Chorus |
      > |____________________________________|_______________________|
    • Steve Currington
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 2, 2002
        Our chapter is a growing chapter so I guess with a good director and
        music team etc and having fun we must be doing something right.

        Our chapter night runs from 7:30pm to 10pm.

        We have about 20-30minutes of warm-ups.
        We then normally have a short tag for fun and to finish the warm up
        process. - helps get ears and minds in tune.
        We then work on various repertoire numbers till around 9pm then break
        for about 5-8 minutes for a quick drink - coffee/tea and juice is
        provided free. No alcohol and rarely do we have snacks etc
        Immediately afterwards we have our short meeting and catch up on the
        news etc and get informed about sing-outs etc. This is kept as short
        and fruitful as possible.
        Depending on the weeks chorus singing schedule we then either do more
        work on specific repertoire numbers or do some "fun" activities such as
        polecats, favourite songs, revision of older rep songs, Christmas Carols
        etc.
        We often end up singing again the tag we learned at the beginning before
        our closing Numbers of "Let's get Together Again" and "Keep The Whole
        World Singing"
        Following this frequently we have groups standing around socializing and
        doing tags, polecats song etc etc.

        We do not encourage the guy's the leave the risers during rehearsal
        however no-one really complains when the occasional person does so.

        Steve Currington
        PR Manager
        Harbour Capital Chorus
        Wellington, New Zealand

        | John Witmer <witmer@...> | Barbershop Bass |
        | 111 Rainbow's End | The Upstate Four |
        | Anderson, SC 29626 | Music Vice President |
        | Phone (864)375-1510 | Spartanburg Chorus |
        |____________________________________|_______________________|

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • kkbari
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 3, 2002
          -- In bbshop@y..., John Witmer <witmer@c...> wrote:
          > We have been having an attendance problem lately with only 60%
          > of the members attending meetings and of that group about 30%
          > leaving early. As you might imagine, it is driving the director
          > crazy. It has been suggested that one problem is the length of
          > our meetings and the fact we have no formal break. [If a member
          > needs a break, he simply steps off the risers and excuses him-
          > self for a minute.]
          >
          > We meet from 7:30 to 10:00. What does your chapter do?
          >
          > Chordially, John

          It sounds like time to reevaluate what the chapter membership wants
          from their barbershop experience. What may attract all currently
          enrolled members may not continue to attract the director. That's
          the risk.

          I had a great learning experience a couple of years ago. I was asked
          to step in as an interim director with the first chapter I joined 25
          years ago and direct them through their chapter show. Chapter
          meeting started at 7:30 and ran until about 10:30 or so. (When I
          first joined, we started at 8, ended at 11 and closed out a bar or
          pizza joint.) Now, most of the guys are retired or near retirement
          age. My portion was from about 7:50-9:45PM (or so) with a break in
          between. I would usually arrive about 7:25PM and I would be the LAST
          to arrive. This time in the week was important to them; they weren't
          late because they wanted to be there. I was the first to leave when
          my portion was over. They didn't leave because they wanted to be
          there.

          If guys aren't showing up regularly, they aren't happy with the
          meeting. If they are leaving early because they aren't getting what
          they want out of it, they aren't having fun.

          There used to be an officer called the PVP. We got rid of that
          office, but the concept is still valid. Set aside part of the
          meeting for something different EVERY week besides singing in a
          chorus. If it is fun and varied, guys will stick around to see what
          this week brings.

          Cheers!

          Kevin Keller
        • John Witmer
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 3, 2002
            At 05:16 PM 12/2/2002, Marti Lovejoy wrote:

            >If the 7:30 to 10:00 is fun, entertaining and you learn and lot and
            >laugh a lot, why would you want to leave early? *
            >So I ask, what's going on for those two and half hours?

            * That's what the rest of the board and I keep asking. We have
            a varied program with 2 or three quartets, vocal training, and
            lots of singing. We do have a very talented and enthusiastic
            director who tends to wear some people out.

            John Witmer
            72 but going on 17
            | | |
            | John Witmer <witmer@...> | Barbershop Bass |
            | 111 Rainbow's End | The Upstate Four |
            | Anderson, SC 29626 | Music Vice President |
            | Phone (864)375-1510 | Spartanburg Chorus |
            |____________________________________|_______________________|
          • Tara Manini
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 3, 2002
              We really have no official break either. If someone needs to take a break they excuse themselves as well. We meet from 7:00-10:00. However, when we are doing many different things, people tend not to leave as frequently. I think that the content needs to be varied to keep people interested.

              Tara
              >We have been having an attendance problem lately with only 60%
              >of the members attending meetings and of that group about 30%
              >leaving early. As you might imagine, it is driving the director
              >crazy. It has been suggested that one problem is the length of
              >our meetings and the fact we have no formal break. [If a member
              >needs a break, he simply steps off the risers and excuses him-
              >self for a minute.]
              >
              >We meet from 7:30 to 10:00. What does your chapter do?
              >
              >Chordially, John
              >| | |
              >| John Witmer <witmer@...> | Barbershop Bass |
              >| 111 Rainbow's End | The Upstate Four |
              >| Anderson, SC 29626 | Music Vice President |
              >| Phone (864)375-1510 | Spartanburg Chorus |
              >|____________________________________|_______________________|

            • schlesmail
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 3, 2002
                One very helpful resource the Society made available to members &
                chapter administrators is a list of eight components for a successful
                chapter meeting. I forget the precise title, but it was a list of
                elements that ought to be included in every chapter meeting in order
                to offer variety. Don't know if it's still available, but the
                philosophy is still valid.

                We're very lucky to have so many aids available--from brochures &
                manuals, to the COTS program, to chapter coaches, to SPEBSQSA staff
                members who are willing to spend time on the phone to answer specific
                questions--that can help us make the few hours we spend together a
                fun-filled experience worth returning to each week.

                One problem we run into is chapter administrators who view the
                information passed down from Kenosha & district as "gospel truth"
                that must be followed by the book. Truth is, no one outside of a
                chapter has the best idea of how that chapter should be run, & the
                programs & suggestions that come from Kenosha & district are most
                valuable when adapted & applied to the individual chapter AS NEEDED,
                rather than implemented wholesale, chapter traditions & character be
                damned. Unfortunately, some well-intentioned chapter officers just
                don't "get it." I've seen chapters ruined that way.

                The most helpful thing the Society can do for chapters is give their
                officers as much operational info as possible, but trust--no, URGE--
                those officers to use their own best judgment.

                --Joseph Schlesinger
                zinger99@... (backup: schlesmail@...)
                member Shoreliner Chorus (http://www.nsn.org/evkhome/bflat)
                member New Tradition Chorus (http://www.newtradition.org)
                founder Barbershop Harmony Chicagoland (http://www.bbs.singer.as --
                if that doesn't work for now, try:
                http://www.nsn.org/evkhome/bflat/bbschicago.html)
                847/328-0921
              • Marti Lovejoy
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Joseph wrote:

                  >One very helpful resource the Society made available to members &
                  >chapter administrators is a list of eight components for a successful
                  >chapter meeting. I forget the precise title, but it was a list of
                  >elements that ought to be included in every chapter meeting in order
                  >to offer variety. Don't know if it's still available, but the
                  >philosophy is still valid.

                  I'm not so sure variety is totally the key. Fun and a positive
                  atmosphere are both more important. Preparing for contest, for
                  instance, can be a time when there really isn't "time" for a lot of
                  variety BUT as long as the hard work leads somewhere (rewarding) and
                  there are laughs allowed (fun) and the necessary criticism (coaching)
                  is provided in a positive light and with lots of strokes and "love" -
                  the rehearsal can still be over in a minute and no one gets bored due
                  to lack of variety!

                  --
                  Marti Lovejoy
                  Proud "Owner" of SING: sponsor of a YSF Scholarship in 2002
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 3, 2002
                    I don't know which is worse, chapters who think that the information
                    from Kenosha is written on stone tablets and numbered from 1-10, or the
                    chapter who think that whatever Kenosha passes on is just so much
                    hogwash. Seems to me they are equally wrong. Not everything works for
                    every chapter, true. But every chapter can find something that
                    definitely works for them among the jewels thrown out for the picking
                    up. More often what comes from Kenosha works better than most people
                    think.

                    Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

                    John Elving mailto:jelving1@...
                    "Shrine of Democracy Chorus"
                    Rapid City, South Dakota

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                        Our chapter meets from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. I personally think
                        that this is a half hour too long and puts a stress on older members
                        and those with physical disabilities. I also think that a certain
                        amount of mental fatigue can set in and cause a person to practice his
                        mistakes. I am contemplating moving that our chapter limit the meeting
                        to two and a half hours. How long does your chapter meet?
                        Incidentally, three hours would not be so bad if there was variety,
                        such as listening to tags, quartets,etc. so as to give a break from
                        being on the risers. The only trouble is that, with a competition
                        coming up, any time not spent on the risers is considered to be
                        wasted, and there always seems to be a competition or a annual show
                        coming up.
                      • Bill Byrd
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                          Some may argue, but I think 3 hours is a mostly great length for a chapter
                          meeting. I believe that the meeting should be a chapter meeting and the
                          rehearsal should be a part of that event. Limit your rehearsal period to 2.5
                          hours, but make sure you vary what you are doing, and half an hour of
                          meeting activities, Quartets, Tags, Stories what have you, it works quite
                          well. Oh, the meeting segment moves around during the meeting, it's not just
                          before break, at the beginning or at the end.
                          Bill Byrd
                          Norfolk VA

                        • Bill Byrd
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                            My intent is to show that the Chapter is more than just the chorus, and the
                            weekly meeting should have room in it for more than just a chorus rehearsal.
                            There should be social time, and Tag time and Quartet time in each weekly
                            meeting of the Chapter, The rehearsal is only a part of the meeting. BOD
                            stuff, and committee stuff happens in their venues, not in the general
                            chapter meeting.
                            Bill Byrd

                            On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:36 PM, <okorth@...> wrote:

                            > The chapter meeting time should be spent on rehearsal, quarteting, tags,
                            > breaks.etc.
                            > Chapter business is conducted by the BOD an brief reports are given to the
                            > chapter members weekly or whatever.
                            > Spending chapter time in a meeting is like a committee of 50...or 80...or
                            > ???...nothing will get done besides arguing.
                            >

                            > Otto Korth
                            > 30 yer member SPEB
                            >

                            > Some may argue, but I think 3 hours is a mostly great length for a
                            > chapter
                            > meeting. I believe that the meeting should be a chapter meeting and the
                            > rehearsal should be a part of that event. Limit your rehearsal period to
                            > 2.5
                            > hours, but make sure you vary what you are doing, and half an hour of
                            > meeting activities, Quartets, Tags, Stories what have you, it works quite
                            > well. Oh, the meeting segment moves around during the meeting, it's not
                            > just
                            > before break, at the beginning or at the end.
                            > Bill Byrd
                            > Norfolk VA

                            > ------------------------------
                            > *A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps!<http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219957551x1201325337/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62>
                            > *

                          • Alan Gordon
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                              Interesting input and interesting thread...

                              To add a little twist on it (or maybe simplify it), I'd suggest the
                              following:

                              EVERY CHAPTER MEETING, IN AND OF ITSELF, SHOULD BE AN EVENT WORTHY OF
                              BRINGING JOY EVERY WEEK.

                              For some chapters, the above may be spending almost all the time on
                              the risers. For some chapters, it may be not even setting up risers
                              and doing nothing except quartetting. For many, it is balancing the
                              extremes, favoring one or the other as the chpater model dictates.

                              I think where the problem lies for some is not having a clear chapter
                              model, not knowing exactly the balance that brings people week after
                              week, and focusing too much on long term planning. We often sit and
                              plan out the 6-weeks leading up to show and what needs to get learned
                              and polished, but then don't focus on what to do WITHIN THE EVENING
                              to make that learning and polishing be a rewarding experience every
                              WEEK. We lean too heavily on the reward coming with a successful
                              show.

                              That doesn't mean we shouldn't compete, shouldn't do shows, etc., but
                              should just make sure we focus on the weekly events that bring us to
                              the bigger ones.

                              Having clear-cut goals for a chapter (and forming a second one if
                              population allows that fills another set of needs... supporting each
                              other, of course) may be the biggest thing hurting membership
                              currently. In the same breath, supporting various types of chapter
                              models within our own ranks would go far to help this. There is
                              nothing wrong with a competitive chapter, nor is there anything wrong
                              with a quartet-only chapter, as long as the two are serving the needs
                              and wants fo their members.

                              I think I'll end there before I branch away from the topic at hand.

                              Alan
                              gotchabari@...
                            • Bill Kruse
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                                Bill,

                                Our Chapter Meeting starts at 7:00 pm and goes to 10:00 pm.  Once a month our Director, who has a Masters in Vocal Production and is a Professional Opera Singer, gives a group vocal session starting at 6:30 pm.  Maybe once or twice a month the Front Row meets at 6:30 pm.  We try and keep our business meeting/guest introductions down to 10 minutes and the break down to 10 minutes.  The extra 10 minutes is given to the Director and Music Team to work something musical as a program (tag quartet/octet, teach a tag, record a new song for tape learning, creative stuff).  During the 2.5 hours of rehearsal we usually have sectional training which give guys a bit of a break from standing on the risers.  They also get a chance to sit down during the business meeting, an octet performance and a brief sit right after the sectionals.  Our Director is very concentious about having the voice, body and mind able to endure what the feet and knees can bare.  Some
                                times our Director will just tell everyone to find a new place on the risers, which give us some physical movement and a mind break.  I usually feel that our meetings are too short!

                                I feel it may be the time of night that you run your meetings to.  When we went to 10:30 we had several guys leave the meeting after the break because they didn't want to stay until 10:30. Try starting at 7:00 pm and ending at 10:00 pm and it should feel shorter.  We had a slight problem when we shifted from 7:30 to 7:00 pm with getting people there on time.  It's now working just fine.  A few late comers still exist but it seems it's the same guys that were late when we started at 7:30.

                                Successful meeting are packed full of singing and fun!

                                Bill Kruse, District Delegate
                                Westchester Chordsmen
                                Freshmen Again!
                                It's Great To Be A Barbershopper

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                                  Our chapter (Ottawa, Canada), was experiencing some thinning out of the
                                  members after the 9.00 pm break (we rehearse on Monday nights) which
                                  provoked a new idea.

                                  We are now implementing the first part of our chapter meeting from 7:30 to
                                  9:30 pm straight. During that time, we will work our contest stuff,
                                  repertoire and singing skills. All things that make a chorus become better.
                                  Then those who have to leave (for whatever personal reasons), can do so at
                                  9:30 instead of 9:00 as before. That way, the chorus gets more valuable
                                  time to reach its goals.

                                  The rest of the members who stay after the break can split into different
                                  groups to do "fun" stuff like sing some old repertoire, or go to a "tag
                                  room", or do choreo stuff, etc.

                                  We are looking forward to this new trial format and expect to see positive
                                  results.

                                  Rich Tagman :-)

                                  Some may argue, but I think 3 hours is a mostly great length for a chapter
                                  meeting. I believe that the meeting should be a chapter meeting and the
                                  rehearsal should be a part of that event. Limit your rehearsal period to 2.5
                                  hours, but make sure you vary what you are doing, and half an hour of
                                  meeting activities, Quartets, Tags, Stories what have you, it works quite
                                  well. Oh, the meeting segment moves around during the meeting, it's not just
                                  before break, at the beginning or at the end.
                                  Bill Byrd
                                  Norfolk VA

                                  19:21
                                • Martha Lovejoy
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                                     Not only that, Alan et al, but a meeting should be something that, if missed, is really "missed."  They should "fill you up" in such a way that you hate to miss one...
                                    Marti Lovejoy
                                    Proud Owner of SING which raised $9315 for YSF in 2008
                                    Score Collector for SING (and the site below)
                                    Life Member, Reg 10, TX, USA - 36 years so far
                                    http: //groups.yahoo . com/group/SweetAdelinesScores
                                    lovejoymar @ sbcglobal.net <--remove spaces from link and edress

                                    ________________________________
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                                      How long you rehearse should depend on how much work you have to get done.
                                      The VM typically rehearses from 7:00 - 10:30pm with a 15 minute break. As
                                      contest approaches we add a choreography rehearsal which starts at 6:00 plus
                                      Saturday workshops. Even though we have a lot of work to do, our rehearsal
                                      are always inspiring, and I can honestly say that in the soon to be 30 years
                                      I've been with the group, there has never been a Thursday night when I
                                      didn't go home feeling better than when I got there! Tired? You bet. But
                                      with a smile on my face!

                                      By the way, this Friday the VM will have the extreme honor of representing
                                      the Barbershop Harmony Society at the American Choral Directors Association
                                      meeting in Oklahoma City. We will be doing a 25 minute set, twice for a
                                      total audience of 3,500 members. They represent the best choral and choir
                                      directors from all across America. We will be promoting the BHS young men in
                                      harmony program and encouraging folks to contact their local chapter or the
                                      society for more info. The key to the survival of our beloved society is
                                      recruiting new folks. We will be sure to wave the banner!!

                                      Nick Alexander, VM MC

                                    • David Updegraff
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                                        Personally, I don't think "The chapter meeting should be ." is a phrase that
                                        can be concluded by anyone other than the individual chapter. No one
                                        formula can fit all chapters.

                                        We begin our chapter meeting with warm ups at 6:30, and conclude with "Keep
                                        the Whole World Singing" at 9:30 (most everything begins and ends earlier in
                                        Tucson!). We vary the program somewhat, but generally have a total of 30
                                        minutes available for business/announcements, break and brief program. Most
                                        of the chorus rehearsal time, we are on the risers. If we have sectionals,
                                        those are in the chairs. If a guy can't stand on the risers for 2.5 hours,
                                        or for any of that time, he is welcome to bring a chair to the end of the
                                        risers and sit. Anyone who needs a break to sit or go to the bathroom may
                                        do so at any time.

                                        One thing we have initiated since Jeff Dolan joined us almost two years ago
                                        is that there is an expectation that most music will be learned at home on
                                        the members' own, and that sectionals are used to attempt to develop unit
                                        sound and solidify the sound. Paper music is generally not allowed on the
                                        risers, except for guests and very new members.

                                        We continue to be a work in progress, but we are getting better!

                                        David

                                        David R. Updegraff

                                        Vice President, Music and Performance

                                        Tucson Sunshine Chapter

                                        tucson barbershop eXperience chorus

                                      • Charlie Davenport
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                                          Or stated in brief: Long enough so that all the members have fun -- defined by my definition: -- "Fun - something you did yesterday that you can't wait to tell someone about today" -

                                          Charlie Davenport

                                        • ENau@comcast.net
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                                            When discussing length of chapter meetings, perhaps some additional perspective is needed to understand the subtle changes that have occurred during the first 70 years of the Society.

                                            During the early years of the Society and probably leading into the late 1950s, chapter meetings were viewed by the members as arrival points, places to go each week to have a great time . . . singing with friends in quartets, enjoying the camaraderie and doing a lot of gang-singing that eventually led to chorus development. The point was not what they sang or how they sang it so much as it was the fact that each weekly event was something to be anticipated because each member knew he was going to be rewarded with a good time, fun, whatever we want to call it.

                                            As the Society developed, the chapter meetings became more a time of preparation . . . getting ready for the next show, sing-out, performance, contest etc. The time was spent more on learning craft, developing skills, etc., than it was on providing the fulfillment to the members that the old meetings had. Now, to receive the same level of fulfillment, a chapter member would not only need to attend a chapter meeting, but another event to get what he used to get just at the chapter meeting. More involvement, more commitment, and more time away from home with some attendant additional expense. I don't believe anyone ever really rebels against learning to be better at his singing avocation, but he balks at the extra commitment he now must make to get what he used to get at a chapter meeting by itself.

                                            The BQPA and other so-called KIBBER groups have some valid points about what constitutes a good chapter meeting. All work and no play can be tedium at best, especially for old legs, old eyes and old ears.

                                            To me, the task before us is to find ways to provide a weekly experience that will offer the hard-core competitive types and the more hobbyist-centered members a chance to walk away saying, "Wow! I can't wait for next week!" That is largely what Charlie Davenport uses as a basis for his "fun" definition. That is also something that will vary from chapter to chapter.

                                            Perhaps we need to bring back some of our lost traditions. I remember mystery bus rides from Concord, Mass. to Livingston, NJ and the absolute great times everyone had. Interchapter meetings and the chance to show off a little -- e.g., the Beverly Bash every April 11. JAD used to celebrate the Sour Apple by showing up at a chapter and delivering a little goodie to the host, whose responsibility then became to move it along. In addition, the little extras where singing and fellowship were further fostered included the Bates Beach Bash, Alton Bay, Block Island weekend, etc. for me. I'm sure any member with more than 20 years in the Spociety can name other such events (Middle Bass, etc.)

                                            I make no accusations nor do I profess to have the only way to solve any problems. But, I do know that the constant rush to be better and better often takes its toll on membership who are looking to immerse themselves on a weekly basis in this thing we call barbershop. That may be handled as easily as providing 15-20 minutes each night where the chorus sings through entire songs without being stopped for correction. It might be a quartet program, and you need to see what happens in Nashville to understand how much fun and encouraging it can be. It may include using the 5th meeting night of a month as a quartet night. Whatever it may be, it must be something that will allow a preponderence of members to again look forward to "can't miss" activities provided only by a chapter meeting. When that happens, we will be preserving an important part of our heritage.

                                            I have no bone to pick with any chapter that wants to "work hard." I only ask that we not forget to play as hard, too, for if we don't, I believe we will winnow down eventually to a group of near-professional singers who will have no room for men who love to sing . . . and they still outnumber the rest and deserve a chance to be educated while creating memorable moments of their own. Nothing against singing a perfect "E" vowel, but give me the chance to sing some "stuff" with the guys on XXXXX night, and I'm in for the whole load.

                                            Isn't it interesting to note that some of our most revered leaders of the past did just that, yet still managed to impart a lot of musical education and preparation for great shows away from the chapter meeting. (Can you say "Earl Moon?") Yet, the chapter meeting was the place everyone went to scratch his barbershop itch. It seems to me that we just don't see that much any more, and I wonder if we did, would the bickering stop and the fun begin again?

                                            Ev Nau

                                          • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                                              Ev - What a spectacular post! I actually left a chorus one time because
                                              we were always getting ready for something, and never doing something.

                                              I have the good fortune now to be in a group that operates in two
                                              different fashions.

                                              A small group of us meet every Thursday and have a blast singing. We
                                              always have all the parts, because many of us can sing two different ones,
                                              and some even three. It's a jam-session for singers, with the goal of
                                              ringing the snot out of some cool songs! Sure we try and improve, and
                                              memorize stuff, and we did sing over 30 Singing Valentines, but the
                                              rehearsal itself is the payoff.

                                              The other facet of the chapter is a competition based group. We meet on
                                              Saturdays, but only every three or four weeks. Music is learned at home.
                                              We stand on the risers the whole rehearsal, bring in coaches, and work on
                                              getting ready for contest. This group is comprised of most of the
                                              Thursday night guys, and then a bunch of dual members from surrounding
                                              chapters. It's hard work, and the focus is on getting better every time.

                                              I love both of these groups, and love both types of rehearsals, and feel
                                              extremely lucky to be associated with all these guys.

                                              Best Regards...

                                              James Triplett
                                              Twenty-First Century Vocals - Chorus
                                              Linn County Metro (Iowa) - Chapter