Re: Memorable International Performances

  • Paul S.
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
      Shelley wrote regarding the Thorobreds in Chicago in '66: "That had never
      been done before and it started our society on the road to choreography."

      Well, choreography actually got started a few years before Joe Wise and Jim
      Miller marched the Thorobreds around the stage so skillfully in Chicago. I
      believe it was in Columbus in '58 when the host chapter Singing Buckeyes did
      some marching of their own on the song "Gee Boys It's Great to Lead a Band."
      Distinguished barbershopper and bass of the Buzz Saws, the late George
      Chamblin, often proclaimed that was the first "real" choreography used by a
      chorus in contest.

      Take nothing away from the boys from Louisville. Their performance in '66
      was definitely one of the most memorable I have witnessed.

      Paul Shannon
      Zanesville (JAD)