Re: South Rampart Street Parade (SRSP)

  • kkbari
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In bbshop@y..., Ehink557@a... wrote:

      > Has anyone actually seen the composer's original notes. I guarantee
      you they
      > are different from what is usually sung. My chorus sang this in
      comp several
      > years ago and we were told at that time if we ever did it again we
      would be
      > DQ'd. I subsequently went to the store and bought the sheet music.
      Boy, there
      > sure were discrepancies in the melody.
      >
      > Ed Hinkley

      Please note: This attitude no longer exists in the current judging
      system. First, on melodic alteration, melodic changes that are
      accepted as "mainstream" are acceptable. So, SRSP as we know it is
      fine. Secondly, if there were stylistic issues (melodic changes or
      otherwise), it would be handled in a different manner. Finally, the
      likelihood of a 0 for melodic alteration is remote. The rules
      suggest a lower Music score, but not up to and including forfeiture
      (it says this sort of language in other passages).

      From the rules:
      6. The arranger is expected to use the composer's melody as the
      basis for his harmonization and embellishment. Melodic alterations
      might be distracting, especially when the melody is well known.
      Alterations that are made for the purpose of satisfying the standards
      of acceptable harmonic progressions and harmonic rhythm stated in
      II.C.6 are not permitted.

      Alterations are acceptable in the following circumstances:

      a. Minor melodic alterations may be made to enhance the
      potential for increased consonance and singability, as long as the
      notes that are changed are not essential to defining the character or
      shape of the melody.

      b. When an alteration of the melody is commonly known and
      accepted.

      c. When, in a repeated section (verse or chorus) of a song, the
      arrangement alters or stylizes the melody. Stylized segments may
      occur during repeats of a song section as long as the stylization
      results in a passage suggestive of the original.

      Alterations beyond these parameters will result in a lower Music
      score.

      Cheers!

      Kevin Keller