Re: Who is Gage Averill?

  • Steve Shannon
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2002
      >> Who is Gage Averill?
      > Professor of Music; Chair of the Music Department; Director, Program
      > in Ethnomusicology, Ph.D. 1989, B.A. 1984, University of Washington.
      > Major Interests: Haitian popular music, Caribbean music, North
      > American vernacular music, political economy of music, semiotics,
      > public sector ethnomusicology, time.
      Interesting curriculum vitae...great for job security in academia, but
      does he have any real experience in, or knowledge of, Barbershop?
      Let's hope George has at least stood in a foursome and locked a few
      chords with three men of good harmony.

      Steve Shannon
      VP - Education - AHSOW
    • Steve Shannon
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2002
        Val wrote:
        > Dear Steve,
        > Gage is now at NYU and he doesn't have to have a great knowledge of
        > Barbershop to write about its origins and evolution if the book is geared
        > for the lay person. He can speak in certain general terms.
        Val,
        How nice to hear from the Keeper of the Barbershop Keys! I'm rather
        surprised that only Brian Lunch rushed in to mention the superb NPR piece,
        "Present at the Creation," you and Gage did for the Society. Much more
        than a tour de force, that show was a seminal recognition from academia of
        the legitimacy of this remarkable art-form.
        Although my comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I did hope to
        stimulate our Harmonetters into discussing what makes this art-form so
        special for them. The personal experience of creating Barbershop harmony,
        especially in a quartet, seems to transcend the fixed rules of music
        theory and the more subjective opinions of historians.
        To me, ringing consonant chords, with three other singers, generates a
        life-force within the hearts and souls of participants which some people
        liken to the biblical 'Music of the Spheres.' Of course, that might just be
        my experience, I'd like to hear from other netters.

        Steve Shannon
        AHSOW - VP Education
      • Lynch, Brian
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2002
          > Interesting curriculum vitae...great for job security in academia, but

          > does he have any real experience in, or knowledge of, Barbershop?

          Listeners to NPR's Morning Edition may recall having heard Gage Averill
          quoted extensively in the "Present at the Creation" episode dealing with
          barbershop harmony. (
          http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/barbershop/index.html
          )

          Averill has done extensive research into the origins of barbershop
          harmony, working from primary sources, and with extensive reference to
          SPEBSQSA resources and historians. His work on this project dates back
          several years, when he spent a week here at Harmony Hall working in the
          Archives with then-curator Ruth Blazina-Joyce.

          This summer/fall, he collaborated with Dr. Val Hicks on audio selections
          for the compact disc companion to the book, and Val graciously shared
          some audio files from his archives for this project.

          How wonderful for our art form that it has drawn the enthusaistic
          interest of academia, and has been researched with academic rigor --
          another indicator of our legitimacy as an original musical art form.

          Brian Lynch, e-Business Strategist
          SPEBSQSA, Inc.
          6315 Harmony Lane, Kenosha, WI 53143
          262-653-8440 x 8554# | fax 262-654-4048
          www.spebsqsa.org
        • Tim McEvilly
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2002
            Is the text of this NPR piece available on the Web somewhere, or on paper? I'll probably never get to hear it on the radio.

            Tim McEvilly
            Aurora IL Chapter SPEBSQSA
            tmcevil@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2002
              Ignore my post from a few minutes ago - I just saw Brian Lynch's post giving the Web link for the NPR piece. It looks great!

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2002
                Tim Wrote:
                > Is the text of this NPR piece available on the Web somewhere, or
                > on paper? I'll probably never get to hear it on the radio.
                This classic NPR "documentary" was a collaboration of Drs. Val Hick and
                Gage Averill and was heavily promoted by the Society and via the Harmonet,
                prior to its airing a few years back. I'll bet Brian Lynch can advise
                whether printed and/or taped archives exist and how you can access them.

                Yours for a song,

                Steve Shannon
                AHSOW - VP Education
              • John McComb
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Gage Averill's book, "Four Parts, No Waiting: A Social History of
                  American Barbershop Harmony" is scheduled to be published on December
                  16 and can be ordered now from Amazon.com in hardcover for $35.00 for
                  shipment when the books arrive. It is probably also available other
                  places. The book includes a CD.

                  John McComb
                  Bryn Mawr, Pa. Mainliners