Quartet Promotion

  • Myron Menaker
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
      Dear Harmonetters,

      I have just taken on the job of "Quartet Promotion" in my SAI chapter,
      Heart of Daytona.

      I'd like to hear what techniques your chapters have used successfully to
      get quartets going. Please write privately, or via the HARMONET, if you
      think others might be interested.

      Thanks in advance!

      Sing-cerely,

      Rita Menaker
      Heart of Daytona
      Daytona Beach, FL
      myronm@...
    • Howdy Davis
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
        First of all, Rita, I find it redeeming that you refer to the Heart
        of Daytona as an SAI "chapter." It indicates to me that you regard
        the chorus as a performing component of the chapter. That's the
        biggest step in right direction.

        Second, keep in mind that no quartet lasts forever. Even one
        that lasts for only one song is better than no quartet at all.

        Next thing is get together with the person in charge of
        scheduling the events for each meeting (We still call ours the
        Program VP). Beg, borrow, or steal 15 to 20 minutes of each meeting
        night for quarteting.
        During this period have three or four randomly selected (preferably
        non-rehearsed) quartets get up and do any song they want.

        You may want to start with pre-selected volunteers (not a registered
        quartet) the first week. Then week after week get arbitrarily
        selective; each of the four parts of this next quartet are wearing
        sneakers tonight, or are wearing a sweatshirt, live west of Main
        Street, or have a birthday this month. They'll all be looking at each
        other to see who "qualifies."

        Even with a small chapter there will always be a combination that has
        yet to be tried out.
        Granted some foursomes may not sound so great but that should never
        deter great encouraging thunderous applause following each
        performance.

        It may be like pulling teeth to start but eventually nearly everyone
        will be champing at the bit to get up and sing in a quartet.

        Above all keep it fun!

        Howdy Davis - President Batavia Chapter (SLD)
        Home of the Holland Land Harmonizers
        and over 10,000 barbershop quartets

        --- In bbshop@egroups.com, Myron Menaker <myronm@b...> wrote:
        > Dear Harmonetters,
        >
        > I have just taken on the job of "Quartet Promotion" in my SAI
        chapter,
        > Heart of Daytona.
        >
        > I'd like to hear what techniques your chapters have used
        successfully to
        > get quartets going. Please write privately, or via the HARMONET, if
        you
        > think others might be interested.
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        >
        > Sing-cerely,
        >
        > Rita Menaker
        > Heart of Daytona
        > Daytona Beach, FL
        > myronm@b...
      • John Witmer
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
          Congratulations Rita on a wonderful undertaking.
          First, take Howdy Davis' suggestions to heart about scheduling time
          for quarteting. If you discover that the girls are reluctant
          to "volunteer" or refuse outright to do so, you might try "tricking"
          them as many men have done. You ask all the tenors to stand in a column.
          Then ask the leads to stand in another column right next to the tenors.
          Then ask the baritones and the basses to do likewise. Have your director
          stand facing the column and ask everyone to start singing a well known
          song. After the first phrase or so, have her cut off the group and ask
          only the four people in the first row (ie a quartet) to sing the next
          phrase. Stop them and send those four to the back of their respective
          columns. Then continue with the next four, etc. Keep this up until
          everyone had had a chance to sing at least once. Since any foursome is
          only singing for the director, it is much less intimidating. Many men
          who refused to sing in a quartet previously have been brought out of
          their shell this way. Try it. Mixed in with Howdy's other suggestions,
          you should be able to develop a real quartet program.

          Chordially, John
          | | |
          | John Witmer <witmer@...> | Barbershop Bass |
          | 111 Rainbow's End | Spartanburg Chorus |
          | Anderson, SC 29626 | |
          | Phone (864)375-1510 | A Son of the Sea Am I |
          |____________________________________|_______________________|
        • TenRrose@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
            My old chorus had us standing in columns too, but we tenors sang a lot more
            than the other parts did! ;-) But it was fun and some of the 'reluctant
            ones' found out how fun it was too!

            Peggy B2, tenor
            SAI Region 22
            Fox Valley Chorus

          • solsen5055@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2001
              I've been dubbed "quartet promotion princess" by my chorus and am
              looking for idea? What has worked in your chorus to get people to
              sing in quartets, either just for fun, or for competition?
              Thanks!
              Suzanne
            • howdyd@buffnet.net
              Message 6 of 6 , May 18, 2001
                Suzanne,

                The very same question was asked by one of your SAI sisters (Rita
                Menaker - Heart of Daytona) about six months ago and I replied thus:

                Just keep on keping it fun and you'll slowly eliminate the I'm-not-
                good-enough-to-sing-in-a-quartet sense of intimidation that prevails
                in too many of our chapters -- SAI "chapters" included.

                Good luck,

                Howdy Davis -
                Veteran of thousands of quartet performances in parking lots,
                stairwells, and cloakrooms everywhere.