Boston Brass at VMEA

  • Sherri Matthews
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2002
      On Thursday night, at the Virginia Music Educator's Association State
      Conference, the Boston Brass performed. They are a brass quintet,
      much like the Canadian Brass, and are quite excellent. Right before
      their last number, they put down their horns, took out a pitch pipe,
      blew a pitch, and broke into "Ice Cream/ Sincere" from the Music Man.
      The entire crowd went wild... and so did the 140 high school students
      in attendance who were there for the state Honors Choir. Now, it was
      not the best singing I have ever heard, but it was so incredible to
      see those instrumentalists attempt singing, especially barbershop!
      The trombonist's father evidentially was a barbershopper, and that
      influence helped lead the young son into a life of music. The group
      talked about how they feel that singing has helped them become better
      and more musical instrumentalists. How true this is! I was sitting
      there thinking... "Wow, the society should get a hold of these guys
      and write or arrange a song for them." They do around 240
      performances a year, and they perform barbershop at every single one
      of them!! This would be a wonderful way to expose others to
      barbershop.
    • Steve Hinsley
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2002
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2002
          That's deja vu for me. In one of my less sane moments (and I'm
          having more & more of them...) I pondered the possibility of, during
          Rossini's "Semiramide" overture, the French Horn section standing and
          singing (vs. playing) their quartet.

          Another possibility (albeit more challenging) is Robert
          Schumann's "Konzertstuck" for horn quartet & orchestra. Schumann
          uses an occasional bbs7th, but less overall homophony, in this
          concerto.

          Tom in Cincy
          barit1@...
          Horning in now & then

          --- In bbshop@y..., "Sherri Matthews" <sing2meangel@h...> wrote:
          > On Thursday night, at the Virginia Music Educator's Association
          State
          > Conference, the Boston Brass performed. They are a brass quintet,
          > much like the Canadian Brass, and are quite excellent. Right
          before
          > their last number, they put down their horns, took out a pitch
          pipe,
          > blew a pitch, and broke into "Ice Cream/ Sincere" from the Music
          Man.
          > The entire crowd went wild... and so did the 140 high school
          students
          > in attendance who were there for the state Honors Choir. Now, it
          was
          > not the best singing I have ever heard, but it was so incredible to
          > see those instrumentalists attempt singing, especially barbershop!
          > The trombonist's father evidentially was a barbershopper, and that
          > influence helped lead the young son into a life of music. The
          group
          > talked about how they feel that singing has helped them become
          better
          > and more musical instrumentalists. How true this is! I was
          sitting
          > there thinking... "Wow, the society should get a hold of these
          guys
          > and write or arrange a song for them." They do around 240
          > performances a year, and they perform barbershop at every single
          one
          > of them!! This would be a wonderful way to expose others to
          > barbershop.
        • Paul Smalley
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2002
            On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 04:49 PM, Sherri Matthews wrote:

            > On Thursday night, at the Virginia Music Educator's Association State
            > Conference, the Boston Brass performed. They are a brass quintet,
            > much like the Canadian Brass, and are quite excellent. Right before
            > their last number, they put down their horns, took out a pitch pipe,
            > blew a pitch, and broke into "Ice Cream/ Sincere" from the Music Man.

            Hummm... do they double a part? (a quintet is still five, right?)

            I wonder how many OTHER tenors are former brass quintet tuba players?
            The change of mindset from "foundation" to "fluff" was a welcome
            challenge.

            -Paul