Re: [bbshop] A request for opinions:)

  • AC Edward
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
      At 12:40 AM 11/3/2002 -0500, Erik Deland wrote:
      >Bear,
      >
      >Nice idea about learning tapes. Personally, I like
      >them.
      >In my case, I can read music pretty well, but at the
      >same time, even though I am aware of the note I'm
      >singing, sometimes I need some kind of re-enforcement
      >just to assure myself that I'm bang on a note,...

      I like them too, but as one who has worked from spots only for years, I
      find that the use of both is the ideal. (Of course, learning tapes are
      better when driving :-) ) As a retired teacher, I think that total
      reliance on either would neglect some members because of their learning
      styles. Some of us rely more heavily on what we see, others on what we hear.

      Clarke Edward
      Bass - Upper Canada Chordsmen, Suburbanaires,
      Newmarket, Ontario
    • Frank Leitnaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
        I make a lot of computer generated MIDI files which are a lot easier
        and cheaper to make than sung learning- tapes. These are quite
        helpful for learning just the notes and timing exactly the way the
        notes are written without interpretation and without lyrics. Most
        programs will allow making part predominent and part missing files and
        they can be made to play either at normal speed or slower if
        desirable. People with computers can play them directly or make their
        own tapes if they want to use them elsewhere. They can be easily
        distributed as email attachments.

        Sung tapes have the advantage of also giving the desired pronunciation
        of words and interpretation. The pronunciation is especially helpful
        where English is not universally spoken. The problem with
        "interpreted" tapes is that they are often counter-productive in that
        the interpretation on the tape is entirely different from what the
        director of the using chorus wants. Now if the director makes
        interpreted tapes for his/her chorus, that should be a big help. I
        have often wondered if Chris Arnold makes just-tuned interpreted tapes
        for his chorus. Could be one good reason that TNL is so terrific.

        I use MusicPrinter Plus to make MIDI files and it takes me about five
        minutes per system, unformatted for printing and without lyrics. This
        creates a file in MPP format which can be played or printed in the
        program. This file can be played on the computer system-column at a
        time. Thus, one can play the song one chord at a time or one note if
        there is only one note instead of a chord in a column. Or one can
        set the tempo and let the computer play it. It's easy to stop at any
        problem spot and repeat that system as many times as desired and one
        can look at the score as it is being played. This is especially
        helpful for songs with tricky rhythms. Therefore, when I receive a
        sung learning tape with an arrangement, I generally made an MPP file
        for my own use.

        Once the MPP file is made, MIDI files can be made from it in only a
        few minutes. Unfortunately, MPP is an obsolescent DOS based program.
        This is why I am sticking with Windows 98 since, apparently, MPP will
        not run correctly in the DOS window of later versions of Windows. If
        anyone knows different, please let me know.

        Frank Leitnaker
        Frank Thorne Chapter S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A
        BABS Associate Member
        BinG!
        The EUCOM Harmonizers

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
          At 12:21 AM 11/3/2002, Bear wrote:
          >With the advent of learning tapes, I can see the possibility of Music-less
          >Choruses. Yep, no sheet music ever. What do ya think?

          Hey Bear,
          We have solved the problem. We create learning tapes with a program called
          Melody Assistant/Virtual Singer which creates simulated voices. It does
          allow you to use your own interpretation. However, the "American English"
          is so stilted that nobody in their right mind would attempt to sing exactly
          the way it is sung on tape. However, the program does enable you to learn
          the notes, the words, the tempos, including rubato. It does emphasize some
          vocal production issues such as holding out the vowel until the end of the
          measure before adding the terminal consonant. You have to be sure to put in
          breaths or the simulation will have absolutely no breaths at all except for
          rests. You can try the shareware program @ <www.myriad-online.com>.
          Chordially, John
          | | |
          | John Witmer <witmer@...> | Barbershop Bass |
          | 111 Rainbow's End | The Upstate Four |
          | Anderson, SC 29626 | Music Vice President |
          | Phone (864)375-1510 | Spartanburg Chorus |